Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How to remove front targa seals?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
arne
In the process of stripping the car for paint. I can't see how the big front targa seal is attached. It must be simpler than it looks. Anyone like to enlighten me? (I'm probably going to feel reall stupid when I find out how it's done.)
Sea Dragon 914
QUOTE(arne @ Jul 3 2017, 02:25 PM) *

In the process of stripping the car for paint. I can't see how the big front targa seal is attached. It must be simpler than it looks. Anyone like to enlighten me? (I'm probably going to feel reall stupid when I find out how it's done.)

There are two small screws in the upper corners (sometimes they are removed and the PO don't replace them). The seal slides into a channel on both sides. It's a PITA to install new ones. So much so that I have new factory seals for my cars and I still haven't changed them. It's a PITA to change most of the seals on the 914.

Good luck!
arne
We may not be talking about the same parts. I'm trying to remove numbers 9 & 28 in this picture.

Click to view attachment
Krieger
#28 just pulls out. I have torn the two I have removed. #9 as stated, has a small screw in each corner.
Mikey914
Yep
rhodyguy
Go to a pharmacy and invest in a large bottle of glycerin for when you start putting seals on.
arne
OK, got 'em. #28 pulled out intact. #9 came off in three pieces, screws were missing and the holes covered with black RTV. DAPO!

Edit - I got the numbers reversed here, fixed now.
Mikey914
Most don't know this but #28 is just as important as #9. It sweeps the water that gets by the 1st seal out to the edges. Many don't replace these and then call me back to say my seal is leaking. I ask them to remove the lower seal and if it comes out in one piece I'll gladly send you an exchange. so far 22 out of 22 were the lower seal. Most have not been changed since the car was new. They often have hairline cracks that wallows the water to seep through. That annoying drop, is probably this!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.