Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mufflers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
partwerks
Long story short, I had the mufflers the mechanic put on, replaced at another shop with mufflers that he said would be more quiet, and guess what, they aren't any better, after spending another $270.00 plus whatever the mechanic is gong to jab me for trailering it there, and back.
At the moment, I have MagnaFlow, AE-11229 mufflers on it.

I went back and he said he thought they would be more quiet, and that maybe he should have went with the baffle type.

I don't know if it would be a practical option, but have seen where you can add stainless steel wool, or fiberglass to the inside of the muffler to tone them down a bit?

Any, thoughts, ideas, or suggestions?
SirAndy
What kind of engine?
confused24.gif

I have the PMS "Laguna" cans on mine and they are quiet-ish until 4500+ rpm ...
driving.gif
SirAndy
IPB Image
partwerks
LS3-6.2L
partwerks
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jul 4 2017, 01:21 PM) *

What kind of engine?
confused24.gif

I have the PMS "Laguna" cans on mine and they are quiet-ish until 4500+ rpm ...
driving.gif

Do you have a link to where you got them at?
mgp4591
You can get baffled inserts to slip into the ends of the mufflers or pipes - I've seen guys even put aftermarket Harley baffles into their pipes. They're lots quieter plus you have the option to pull them out later.
arne
Muffler guys who don't often work on things like this forget that the mufflers are not the whole story. The length (and diameter) of the pipes after the mufflers are a big part of the quieting. A car that runs that LS up front with lots of pipe after the mufflers will be a LOT quieter than a 914 with the LS at the rear with almost no tailpipes. You'll either need baffles or much quieter mufflers.
partwerks
QUOTE(mgp4591 @ Jul 4 2017, 02:02 PM) *

You can get baffled inserts to slip into the ends of the mufflers or pipes - I've seen guys even put aftermarket Harley baffles into their pipes. They're lots quieter plus you have the option to pull them out later.

Where can I look for something of that nature?
SirAndy
QUOTE(partwerks @ Jul 4 2017, 02:55 PM) *
Do you have a link to where you got them at?

PMS - Patrick Motorsports
http://www.patrickmotorsports.com/

I don't think they carry them anymore but they would probably know where and how to get them.
smile.gif
partwerks
QUOTE(mgp4591 @ Jul 4 2017, 02:02 PM) *

You mean something along these lines?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Universal-Moto...W7Y&vxp=mtr
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.