Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Front trunk seal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dudzy's914
My front trunk seal will just not stay in place. How does it stay in?

Thanks,
Finn
Lucky9146
I used this. 3 M Super Weatherstrip and Gasket Adhesive. Yellow. Commonly referred to as "snake snot" worked perfect on mine

Good luckClick to view attachment
PanelBilly
I warmed mine up just a bit with a heatgun and then left the truck closed on it
Mikey914
Also make sure you have oriented correctly. It is possible install upside down. You can tell as the area at the cowl has a step down. It has been molded into the seal.
It will also make sure it shuts correctly and seals at the top.
Mark
Tom_T
QUOTE(Lucky9146 @ Jul 5 2017, 09:31 AM) *

I used this. 3 M Super Weatherstrip and Gasket Adhesive. Yellow. Commonly referred to as "snake snot" worked perfect on mine

I think that there are black gasket adhesives out there which will do as good of a job & not scream YELLOW around the edges of your gasket.

Permatex makes a good one which we used on our 88 Westy's pop-top seal, which has a lot of pulling forces when lifting the top up.

And what mark/Mikey914 said - whether his 914Rubber repros or factory seals - the bottom is usually flat(-ish), & IIRC the 914 Factory Repair Manual says to run a small bead in the tray on the body [not on the seal bottom].

If not adhered, then the seals tend to pull apart at the 8 corners - especially the front corners ones around the headlight buckets.

If yours tear/separate, then you can use that same Permatex gasket/seal adhesive to repair them with a dab inside the joint at the corners, then adhere in place in the tray.

Good Luck! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Lucky9146
QUOTE(Lucky9146 @ Jul 5 2017, 09:31 AM) *

Further to my earlier post. You should not see any adhesive as you only place it in the very bottom of the channel the gasket sits it. Be careful not to get it all over the place when applying in the channel and you may want to mask off while applying. I do not know about the black suggested above but I do know this adhesive works well and I have used it with good results over the years.

Let us know how it turns our for you what ever you use.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.