Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Filling the void?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
defianty
I'm currently repairing my rear end as pat of my restoration journey. A small collision in the rear corner must have opened up the seam sealer and the water got in.

So now this is all cut out and a repair in the process, what do I fill the gap with now?

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Tom_T
I'd say weld a piece from a good rust free fender section from a donor 914 or LR fender part, unless you're a guru with metal working & can form it from 19 ga steel yourself.

Spray some Wurth or Eastwood Zinc Rich Primer on the bare metal surfaces inside too, so you get the effect of some zinc hot dip to prevent rust (it's weld-through primer btw).

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
mzalanka
I think there is a bigger issue here. That looks like a LOT of bondo on that rear quarter. If you've already gone to this much work, you might want to fix that area correctly.

I would suggest sanding off all that bondo so you know how far forward it goes and how much rust (trust me) is under all that. Then cutting the entire rear panel forward to that point. Source and patch with a solid piece from a donor.

It's actually not terribly hard to cut and replace that section. It's all held together with spot welds, maybe 20 of which would need to be cut to allow removal. The biggest challenge would be to get a cosmetically acceptable result with wherever the patch ends - going forward past the wheel arch would be my choice.

Just my opinion. Good luck.
defianty
Sorry guys I don't think I've been clear enough. Yes there was lots of bondo in that section but it'll all be replaced, I have a replacement panel for sections plus I'll be fitting GT flares. biggrin.gif

What I'm wondering is, what do I replace the foam with. I don't want to leave a water trap there above the indicator.

Click to view attachment
mepstein
You do not replace the foam! It's what caused the rust. Use a real, two part epoxy or etch primer, seam sealer and then paint.

In fact, knock out the foam from the other side, remove rust and refinish.
SirAndy
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 5 2017, 12:50 PM) *
You do not replace the foam! It's what caused the rust. Use a real, two part epoxy or etch primer, seam sealer and then paint.
In fact, knock out the foam from the other side, remove rust and refinish.

agree.gif
defianty
Brilliant, thanks guys that's exactly what I wanted to hear.
mzalanka
That's what I'm talking about! biggrin.gif Nice looking wheelhouse.

You clearly got this. aktion035.gif
cary
With the car opened up that much if you haven't already, remove the foam behind the seam sealer under the sail panel.

Click to view attachment

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.