Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Transmission shift rod removal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rad23racer
I'm trying to remove the shift rod from the linkage on the transmission so I can replace the bushing that is destroyed. I pulled the tapered screw out but this thing doesn't want to budge. Before I get creative, I thought I would check and see if there is a trick to getting the rod out.

Thanks...
bretth
QUOTE(rad23racer @ Jul 6 2017, 11:28 AM) *

I'm trying to remove the shift rod from the linkage on the transmission so I can replace the bushing that is destroyed. I pulled the tapered screw out but this thing doesn't want to budge. Before I get creative, I thought I would check and see if there is a trick to getting the rod out.

Thanks...

On mine I just shifted between 2nd and 3rd a couple times and it just came off. Maybe you need to hold back on the shaft while someone pulls the shifter back. Remember not to reuse the screw because they can come loose.
914Sixer
Another option for the cone head screw is to us a standard square head VW Beetle shift rod screw.
bdstone914
Twist the shift rod at the coupler to break the tension. put the shifter in 2nd or 4th. with one person at the shifter get under the car and open up an adjustable wrench to slide onto the exposed part of the front shift rod. have the person inside pul the shifter back to break loose the coupler from the front rod. might take a couple of smacks.
ndfrigi
I used one like this.

Click to view attachment
rad23racer
QUOTE(ndfrigi @ Jul 6 2017, 05:35 PM) *

I used one like this.

Click to view attachment

Sometimes I just feel like a moron. The puller should work nicely. I forgot to mention that the transmission and shift rod are out of the car sitting on the workbench so I have easy access to them.

Thanks everyone for your help. I'll let you know how it goes.
rstover
Make sure the screw is out far enough. It has to be nearly all the way out.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.