Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Becoming better at buying a 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nditiz1
So I have been searching for my first 914 for a little while now. You all have been great help. I am constantly searching for more knowledge as I don't have the years experience with them as some of you do. One popped up recently and after talking with the seller I had him send me more pics. Now, his price of $6k is IMO very high for a non runner. The perks 2.0, Original FI intact, (5) Mahle wheels, center console with gauges. The seller values it fairly high at $6k as it apparently has little rust and has "rare" LE options. It's a 76' and I read Porsche was throwing on a bunch of upgrades since they were discontinuing the model. He also seems to think his fathers 914-6 with factory GT fenders is worth half a million and only 30 were made screwy.gif

Anyway this post is more so about what the "little rust" he claims it has and to see if I am becoming more specialized with spotting major issues.

This first one shows the dash. I'm guessing the piece laying across the floor goes under the dash as it has vent cut outs. He also said only the driver seat has wear but both seats do. The dash looks to be in pretty rough shape as well.

The 2nd shows a small rust hole on the bottom part of the long. I have circled it in yellow. This indicates the long needs to be replaced or possibly patched.

The 3rd and 4th picture show the passenger rear long and rocker with extensive rust. It almost seems like a portion was cut out or rusted away completely.

So what did I miss?

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
GeorgeRud
That's not little rust! You'll probably double your purchase price having it taken care of and I'd assume you're only seeing the tip of the iceberg.

The 914-6GT is worth much, much more due to it's rarity.
iwanta914-6
The ole adage applies, buy the best car you can afford. If this is all you can afford, I suggest you keep saving up. I don't think this is a good starting point for your first 914 unless you have lots of experience with restoring cars. I'm still trying to set money aside, but I cannot keep up with the increasing values of good examples. I should have started 10+ years ago.

As for his father with a 914-6 with "factory" GT flares being worth $500K? If it's a factory GT then it could be worth that much to the right buyer.
bretth
That is a whole lot of 'little rust'. The structure of the car is compromised. Wouldn't even touch it for 2k. Lots of rust repair to do and not simple repairs either.
Chris H.
Yes that is a LOT of rust. Anyone who has been through a rustoration will tell you that by the time you can SEE the rust it's approaching terminal status. The rust usually starts where you can't see it. Under the rocker panels, inside the longitudinals, floor pans, etc. Especially on the passenger side where battery acid had a habit of washing down into the structure of the car and rusting the middle of it out. At some point they fold in half if not fixed. Although repair panels are available, that one needs a LOT of them. Unless you have the skills and tools to perfectly align them that one is likely not worth it. Wait for a more structurally sound one.
mbseto
Lots of good advice above. The info from the seller sounds like a complete and total snow job. This is a welding project. Trust what you see, not what you hear.
iankarr
Your instincts are spot on. Trust them. This car isn't even close to being worth 6K.

I suggest you put a WTB in the classifieds and keep checking that section. I think you'll find that the members here are way more honest and realistic than out in the wilds of eBay and craigslist.

Enjoy the hunt! It's half the fun....
mepstein
agree.gif with all of the above. I've picked up plenty of non runners in that condition for $1k - or less.

$6k should get you a reasonably solid running car that needs cosmetics. Here's a good example of one I would buy for that amount.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=307743

You can't be afraid to travel or trust the members here if you find one further away.

mb911
I agree not a 6k car but i also feel it is not terminal.. I know I and many other forum members could fix this car. I know you would have about 1500 in replacement steel and probably a couple hundred hours of time in it. Now to pay someone for that is expensive. My time is free to me and mine was worse then that and now is over the hump.. That said i teach welding at a college so take what I say with a grain of salt
ndfrigi
and 76 year model still need smog. Well most states but i'm not sure in your state.
iwanta914-6
QUOTE(ndfrigi @ Jul 7 2017, 09:59 AM) *

and 76 year model still need smog. Well most states but i'm not sure in your state.

"Most" states? And here I thought it was only Cali...
bbrock
The condition of that car is nearly identical to mine after it sat neglected in the weeds for 30 years without a windshield before I started the restoration a few months ago. I figured the only way I would get even $2K for my car would be to sell it in pieces. And even then I'd be lucky. I agree with others that this car is not a lost cause. It could be a fun project for someone who likes to cut and weld steel and doesn't plan to drive it for a year or three. But it is a fairly major rustoration and the price should reflect that. The owner is delusional.
Chris H.
QUOTE(mb911 @ Jul 7 2017, 09:46 AM) *

I agree not a 6k car but i also feel it is not terminal.. I know I and many other forum members could fix this car. I know you would have about 1500 in replacement steel and probably a couple hundred hours of time in it. Now to pay someone for that is expensive. My time is free to me and mine was worse then that and now is over the hump.. That said i teach welding at a college so take what I say with a grain of salt

You could probably fix anything with your welding skills. These are a work of art.

Click to view attachment

I'd love to learn to weld with even a fraction of this quality.

boxsterfan
That's a $6K car in about 20 years when there are even less 914's around.
Front yard mechanic
Since Nikes are now available on Amazon cheap buy a pair and run from that car ! The floor is gone the long is gone and the firewall barf.gif
Racer
QUOTE(nditiz1 @ Jul 7 2017, 09:05 AM) *

So what did I miss?

I hope you didn't miss the chance to walk away wink.gif
Specracer
I would steer clear for anywhere but a fraction of that price. You don't have pics with the rockers off, or the door sill carpet up, let alone what the rear suspension consoles look like. Fixable, or course, but it's also easy to have $20k wrapped up in a $15k car when done (or even FAR worse). And there are other expensive parts to deal with, dash for instance.
jimkelly
don't get hung up on LE or 2.0.

a rust freeish 1.7 or 1.8 would be just fine.

there was a nice one on craigslist wash dc the other day $4500

IronHillRestorations
Run away! Run away!! That's a $1000 car that needs $15,000 worth of rust repair to make it worth $6000. Only the seller of such a car sees a diamond in the rough. Anyone who knows these cars sees a giant money toilet.

Do not buy a rusty car, unless you like pain and suffering. There's no recovering serious rust repair expense. The welded up Franken-car will always be worth less (regardless of who does the repairs) than the car that never required it.

Be very picky. #1- be prepared to walk away and never look back, #2 be prepared to spend time and money on travel only to walk away, #3 be prepared to jump on the right car when it presents, #4 save your money and increase your budget.

If you want a good 914, budget no less than $10,000. I'm not saying you can't find a good car for $6k, but it might be hard to do so. Twice that should get you a car that won't require work, and if you can spend $25k you open the potential to a wider range of quality cars, and improved good cars. FWIW I have a customer that's got a totally killer, low mileage, truly rust free example, with a monster 2270 engine for a tick over $25k, the car is worth it.
mepstein
This car would cost you way less in the end.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=312712
SKL1
Run, Forrest, run!!!!!!

A "little" rust????? He probably has a bridge to sell you too!
gms
QUOTE(nditiz1 @ Jul 7 2017, 08:05 AM) *

He also seems to think his fathers 914-6 with factory GT fenders is worth half a million and only 30 were made screwy.gif

Generally when people have a car with fender flares they refer to it as a "GT" but in reality the race model of the 914/6 had much more however if it has the right pedigree and/or race history it could be very valuable. do you have any other details?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.