Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What size engine? Ways to figure out my displacement...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jameel
I've got my engine on a stand and I'd like to try and figure out how much displacement I've got. I just replaced all my pushrod tube seals and did a valve adjustment, so I don't want to remove the heads. The engine came out of a '71 and was running 40IDF's when I bought it. The car makes a lot more power than a stock '71 injected engine, so I'm curiousif it's been fitted with larger cylinders. Might just be the carbs I'm feeling...

One idea I've got is to set a piston at BDC on the intake stroke and then CC the chamber through the spark plug hole, carefully stopping the liquid when I reach the bottom of the plug hole, then measure the amount.

Problem is, the intake valve will still be slightly open at BDC, since most cams have at least one valve open at BDC.

Got any ideas?

barefoot
If an intake is slightly open (which you can see inside the rocker cover), relieve the load on the intake rocker arm till it's slack
Mark Henry
agree.gif Take the rocker off, on the stand tilt it so the plug hole is level, at TDC fill the chamber and that's your chamber CC.
Then at BDC fill with (oil - chamber CC) X 4 = engine CC.
TheWeatherMan
what if the engine is in the car.....?
TheCabinetmaker
Turn the car on its side?
Mike Bellis
Pour beer in the cylinder and see how much it holds... Multiply by 4... beerchug.gif
Rand
The beer theory is much more accurate than the carb theory. biggrin.gif
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(Rand @ Jul 7 2017, 02:03 PM) *

The beer theory is much more accurate than the carb theory. biggrin.gif

Why waste good oil like Mark Henry when you can use shitty beer? confused24.gif
Porschef
Beer has carbs, especially IPA's. w00t.gif

beer.gif

Jameel
Thanks everybody. I'll fill the jug with brew and get right back to you.
Mark Henry
If it's on a stand with the tin off it's easier to just remove a head. shades.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.