Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Accel cable?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
wrpspddrvr
Hi all. I'm at my Mom's house on the way to a bike race tomorrow. I was just driving my car in, and suddenly the accelerator pedal doesn't work and the car shuts off. It keeps starting, but I can't give it gas, so it won't stay on. Any ideas?

THANKS!

Cole monkeydance.gif
bd1308
damn you GOTTA get that fixe dby the 22nd...i'm expecting you!
scotty914
cable was adjusted too tight, then you set the idel with the throttle slightly open. then the cable broke and the throttle is closing all the way and choking it out
914GT
If it's a broken cable, you can order an new one from Pelican or whoever and have it a few days or week later. I've made my own cables by going to Ace Hardware and buying the stranded steel cable and threading it through the housing. The threaded end I heat up with a torch and pull the old cable out with pliers. Then I drill a hole into it and sweat solder the new cable in the hole. I have a V8 so I use a different termination on the other end. If you're not good at mechanical stuff then just buy a new cable.
wrpspddrvr
Alright, not the accel cable. The throttle plate is opening fine with using the pedal.
It happened about 15 seconds after a slight rub on the road on the passenger middle-to-rear of the car. Suddenly the car stopped accelerating, and was just acting like I took my foot off the gas. It stayed on fine until I took it out of gear, then it eventually dropped revs 'til it died. We pushed it home, I checked underneath, but everything LOOKS fine. Added gas, that wasn't it. All injectors are in. Tried starting it, would fire, but turn off pretty quick. Now it doesn't seem to even want to fire.

HELP!!

Thanks,
Cole monkeydance.gif
914GT
Maybe a clogged fuel filter. Might want to replace that first if it's been awhile.
wrpspddrvr
It happened out of nowhere. Would a fuel filter go kersplat out of nowhere?
I'm pretty sure it's fuel. It's still shooting spark, but there's NO sign of real start-up anymore. No gas smell either, so it's not a busted line.

Cole monkeydance.gif
bd1308
jump your relay,,betting thats it....not all of my chips just some....bad fuel pump relay.
wrpspddrvr
Fuel pump maybe?
If that crapped out, would it have run on what was in the lines?

Cole monkeydance.gif
914GT
On these old cars they can. A dirty filter can pass enough fuel to run the engine, then a chunk of rust or dirt dislodge from the tank and block it completely. It's a place to start. Check the basic maintenance things first and work from there.
wrpspddrvr
It's not the filter. I just disconnected the line from the filter to the pump and fuel went all over the place. Nice steady stream, a brake bleeder's wet dream. Filter's fine.
Pump perhaps? I think the way to test that would be to disconnect the line from the pump to the engine (the one labeled "R" for return?) and turn the key on? If fuel sprays, it's fine, if not.....

??????????????

Cole monkeydance.gif
bd1308
can't you hear the pump running?
wrpspddrvr
Nope. Pump isn't working. Don't know if it's a relay or what, but it's not working. I'm frikkin' shot. I'm going to bed. Hopefully I can fix it or borrow a car tomorrow.

Night all. Thanks.

Cole
Cap'n Krusty
Gas pours out BEFORE the pump" Test it AFTER the pump. That's what the test port between 1 and 2 injectors is for. No, you don't test it at the return fitting. EVER. And the answer'sNOT gonna be found in the subject of the question. We need to redefine the question, and look at the answers. Filters don't suddenly clog, in fact they rarely clog at all. It starts, but only runs for a few seconds? A non-operative pump won't let it start at all, at least not after the first try. How about a BIG vacuum leak? Have you checked all the vacuum hoses and fittings? That's OK?

OK, we know we have spark, and we know the engine turns over. We think we have injector pulse, cause it fires for a short time. So we turn the key on and listen for the pump. Try it a couple of times. Check the fuse on the relay board. Spin it a few times. If it's blown, check the wire to the AAR, under the cold start valve on the 1.7, and on all stock 914s right next to the oil filler/breather assembly. Then we put a 40PSI pressure gauge on the pressure test port (DON'T lose the little bolt and the aluminum washer!) and see if it makes pressure.

To do your own diagnostic work on these cars, you MUST have a decent simple 6/12v test light. They're cheap, even off the tool truck. You should have a fuel pressure gauge with a 7.5mm hose attached, and a hose clamp. You need appropriate feeler gauges, .004/.006/and .008". Nice long ones. Basic hand tools, a couple of screwdrivers, some metric sockets, extensions, and ratchets. A spark plug socket with a magnet or rubber insert (or one of those trick spring clamping ones), and some combination metric wrenches. Be sure you frame your questions so we know EXACTLY what you want to know. Think before you ask, and you have a MUCH better chance of getting the answers you need. The Cap'n
SirAndy
QUOTE (wrpspddrvr @ May 14 2005, 11:20 PM)
Nope. Pump isn't working. Don't know if it's a relay or what, but it's not working.

start by replacing the fuel pump relay with a known to be good one, like one from the headlight motors ...

make sure all the contacts for the relay on the board are clean of corrossion. wiggle it if needed and see if that get's the pump running again ...

cool.gif Andy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.