Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Break Inn ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
80cap
What is the recommendation for the first oil change? I have 50 miles on a new engine. Did the cam break in out of the car.
Brian
Mark Henry
Depends on the oil used, I'd do it now.
If you plan to run synthetic stick with dino for the first few changes.
Most only like dino in the aircooleds.
80cap
Brad Pen break in oil.
Brian
porschetub
QUOTE(80cap @ Jul 9 2017, 09:35 AM) *

Brad Pen break in oil.
Brian

Do it now as already mentioned in fact you should really do it sooner,Mark is correct about oil,seen oil leak issues with synthetic oil ,RMS seal and pushrod tube seals come to mind,when these motors were designed they used dino oil ...nothing changed.
I don't use running in oil just run the same oil from day one.
Hope its running well beerchug.gif .
McMark
If this is the same oil used during cam break-in then it's absolutely time to change it. If you already changed the oil once, go a bit longer on this batch.
Mark Henry
The BP oil is only used for breaking in the cam and rings, time to switch to your regular oil.

What oil is very subjective and personal opinion, I use Chevron Delo 15w40, good dino oil, fairly cheap, about the same as the old shell Rotilla T.
Being cheap means I change it more often, which is a good thing. I also run it in my farm tractor so I buy it by the pail.
Can be a bit harder to find here, it's a diesel oil so most bulk and truck places have it.
McMark
I thought they pulled the zinc from Delo...
80cap
Thanks!
I'll change it today.
Brian
Mark Henry
QUOTE(McMark @ Jul 9 2017, 08:36 AM) *

I think you're thinking of Rotilla T, last info I had on Delo was:

15W40 CHEVRON DELO 400LE Diesel Oil, conventional, API CJ-4, CI-4 Plus, CH-4, CF-4,CF/SM, = 73,520 psi
zinc = 1519 ppm
phos = 1139 ppm
ZDDP = 1300 ppm

I do know the lighter grades of Delo have a lot less zinc.

Now I'll have to check because the last time I bought Delo was about 4 years ago, I bought a whole skid of pails. My tractor engine and trans oil change (same oil) is over 2 pails (40+ quarts/liters).

I'm down to my last pail so I'll ask for the spec when I go to order.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(McMark @ Jul 9 2017, 08:36 AM) *

On Chevron Delo 400 LE 15w40 they list zinc as .13% mass which is 1300ppm, still good.

But I'm correct, the lighter grades of Delo do have less zinc, as low as 760ppm

https://cglapps.chevron.com/msdspds/PDSDeta...p;docFormat=PDF
http://www.chevronlubricants.com/en_US/pro...ml#.WWIv_oQrJhF
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.