Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: interior/exterior color combination
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Bruce Edge
Hello, I have purchased a stalled restoration 1973 1.7 plain Jane. Car is completely apart. Previous owner had bought approximately $10,000 in new parts, which includes all new dark brown interior and carpet. Here is the question the car original color was L96D silver, I have never seen that combination in a 914 before. Does anyone have a silver with brown interior or have you seen one. Most likely it had black interior to begin with. I don't want to buy new interior so I am considering changing the paint color. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated .

Thanks,
Bruce
gcrotvik
I've seen this color combination before. It's not my favorite but it actually looks good. Doing a complete color change correctly is expensive and not using a fresh new interior would be a waste IMHO. Maybe someone has this color combo that can share some pictures. It may grow on you.
rhodyguy
A different interior will be far, FAR cheaper now than the value loss alone on a color change. Faster too.
Tom_T
Bruce,

I agree with Greg above.

Porsche offered Black, Brown, Tan/Beige & White in 75-76 for 914/4 interior options, & they could have either the basket weave vinyl Leatherette or Corduroy seat inserts in the same color - you can see samples at Jeff's site here, look at 72 & 74, since he doesn't have 73 on there, but they used the same colors:

http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/PaintFabrics.htm

You'd be far better off cost/time & finished value-wise to keep the original paint, & just change to a black interior if you prefer that combo.

You can get a COA from PCNA & it will tell you what the original colors were on it. Make sure to compare their COA's interior color code numbers though, cuz they can & have mislabeled them (they tried to say my #31 Beige was Black, when Black is #11, & it took me 3 tries to get them to correct it).

However, if it was originally Brown & you want to go with black, then save the brown stuff in case some future buyer wants to put it all back to original.

Otherwise you can sell or trade the brown for a black, if it was originally black.

Autos International in Fallbrook CA, World Upholstery in Ventura CA, 914Rubber in OR, Lakewell in Belgium & a few others sell upholstery kits in some or all of the original colors - but Beige & White are hard to find.

AI & World also do the reupholstery for you, or you can get the kit or the raw fabric yardage for a local shop back there if you don't want to tackle it yourself.

1973 MY colors & interior color numbers (911 & 914):
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

Good Luck! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

steuspeed
Keep the silver and the brown. Change to black later if you want. There is not much to the interior anyway. You can get the black/gray plaid kits from 914rubber too.
Bruce Edge
Thank for the quick reply and good advice. I think I could get use to the silver and brown and it does make since that I can change out interior later on.
I realize keeping the original color will help hold it's value later on. I'm looking forward to getting this car on the road. I feel like the 914 is the last air cooled Porsche I can fully enjoy. I have a couple of 356's that have become valued to the point that I'm concerned about when and where I drive them, also the parts have become crazy priced.
Thanks for your help, I sure I will need some more direction.

Bruce
rgalla9146
QUOTE(Bruce Edge @ Jul 8 2017, 07:32 PM) *

Thank for the quick reply and good advice. I think I could get use to the silver and brown and it does make since that I can change out interior later on.
I realize keeping the original color will help hold it's value later on. I'm looking forward to getting this car on the road. I feel like the 914 is the last air cooled Porsche I can fully enjoy. I have a couple of 356's that have become valued to the point that I'm concerned about when and where I drive them, also the parts have become crazy priced.
Thanks for your help, I sure I will need some more direction.

Bruce

Hey Bruce
Keep the brown interior. It will make your car very attractive.
How often do you see a 914 with anything but a black interior ?
Black is everywhere. Any color other than black makes a 914 more interesting.
My 1970 is orange with a tan interior.
My project car will be white with a brown interior.
Rory
IronHillRestorations
If you have the budget there's a gorgeous light tan leather interior listed in the classifieds now. Not cheap, but it would probably complement the silver better, but actually I'm with Rory, brown would be better than black, and IMHO the light tan would be better still
Bruce Edge
Hey Perry and all,
I saw the leather interior. I trying to control myself, I've been down the slippery slope many times. I start dreaming and I think about flairs, 5 lug, 2 liter 170hp ect.
I'm past retirement age and just need to watch my budget and enjoy the car for what it is.
Thanks for the encouragement on the silver and brown comb,

Bruce
ConeDodger
I have a very sensitive gag reflex and the visual is causing me to retch... I'll reserve judgement until after you put it in and I see it. smile.gif That said, the SEM line of vinyl paint works really well. evilgrin.gif

Mine is silver and black...
arne
Silver with brown was very common in early 944s, often two tone brown with tan inserts. The rescue 944 I did last year was that combination. It's not as bad as it sounds.
Mikey914
Do what makes you happy. Save the old stuff. Swap out are required biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.