Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Clutch tube
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rstover
About 5 weeks ago the clutch quit working. Thanks to a 914 person I was advised to check the clutch tube by removing the gear shift and and seeing if the tube moved. It did. By searching 914 world I was able to research several fixes. I decided on the conduit fastener approach. I got 3 different types that I found at Lowes and home Depot, but I could not find the one that was pictured on the world. I decided to use the one that has one hole at the top and a reverse looking C. One hole was drilled and a rubber spacer was placed on the back to space the tube from the tunnel wall. A short brace was used to hold tube in place. The open space between tube and conduit was filled with J-B Weld Steel Stick. Befoer I removed all the cables from the tunnel I tested it and there is a small amount flex. After the tunnel is cleaned I am going to build some support at the bottom of the bracket out of J-B Weld.

In the back of the picture I hope you can see the end of the clutch tube. It looks like it was held in place by a strap that appears to be spot welded to the tunnel. I do not think that the tube was welded in the front.
Click to view attachment

I have also removed all the tar on the driver side floor pans and am cleaning them. I don't have alot of experience posting. If this works I will try to share some other tings I hve found interesting.
TheWeatherMan
Great fix. I did something similar

I wonder if there is a different solution...like taking a cutting wheel, opening up the entire center channel from under the car, making the fixes, then welding cut out section back on
banananose914
QUOTE(rstover @ Jul 8 2017, 03:34 PM) *

About 5 weeks ago the clutch quit working. Thanks to a 914 person I was advised to check the clutch tube by removing the gear shift and and seeing if the tube moved. It did. By searching 914 world I was able to research several fixes. I decided on the conduit fastener approach. I got 3 different types that I found at Lowes and home Depot, but I could not find the one that was pictured on the world. I decided to use the one that has one hole at the top and a reverse looking C. One hole was drilled and a rubber spacer was placed on the back to space the tube from the tunnel wall. A short brace was used to hold tube in place. The open space between tube and conduit was filled with J-B Weld Steel Stick. Befoer I removed all the cables from the tunnel I tested it and there is a small amount flex. After the tunnel is cleaned I am going to build some support at the bottom of the bracket out of J-B Weld.

In the back of the picture I hope you can see the end of the clutch tube. It looks like it was held in place by a strap that appears to be spot welded to the tunnel. I do not think that the tube was welded in the front.
Click to view attachment

I have also removed all the tar on the driver side floor pans and am cleaning them. I don't have alot of experience posting. If this works I will try to share some other tings I hve found interesting.

By virtue of owning a 914, you are going to find a lot of interesting things.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.