Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Backpad repair
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
daytona
Hi, I have a backpad that needs repair (some water damage, tears, cracks, etc...).
Anybody have any ideas on repairs to the fiber board?
I have tried to search the forum but could not find threads on repairing the backpad.
Thanks,
Bill.
ConeDodger
My best idea? Don't...

Check 914Rubbers fiberglass backpad and backpad vinyl.

Looks like this when it's in:
Tom_T
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jul 8 2017, 06:36 PM) *

My best idea? Don't...

agree.gif ... with Rob!

Even if you keep your own fabric & foam materials, & just put it on the 914Rubber fiberglass backpad panels, it will be better than the water damaged OE fiberboard.

If you need to be super low cost, then go to the local Home Depot or other DIY & get some 2 part resin or epoxy to try to repair the water damaged areas. You may need to cut away substantial amounts of the funky fiber layers that are water damaged, so you then have to lay in fresh fiberglass cloth &/or paperboard to build it back up. It will still be funky though.

I did this on the 2 small corners of a door card on one of my cars, but I don't recommend it for large areas.

Good Luck! beerchug.gif
beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
raynekat
The biggest problem you'll find with the 914 Rubber back pad is that's it's made of fiberglass so staples won't go through it. MPITA. I repaired my fiberboard original the best I could using a fiberglass repair kit but the repairs were not where the staples go. I'll put a couple of pics here in the coming days.

Not saying anything bad about the 914 Rubber part....it's just not easy or straight forward to work with.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(raynekat @ Jul 8 2017, 11:38 PM) *

The biggest problem you'll find with the 914 Rubber back pad is that's it's made of fiberglass so staples won't go through it. MPITA. I repaired my fiberboard original the best I could using a fiberglass repair kit but the repairs were not where the staples go. I'll put a couple of pics here in the coming days.

Not saying anything bad about the 914 Rubber part....it's just not easy or straight forward to work with.

I agree but...

I worked with an upholstery shop (and coincidently, now, so is 914Rubber) that made that same suggestion. On mine we attached a tack strip and we sent Mark a sample of it. Look for the next-gen backpad fiberglass to have that improvement.
porschetub
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jul 9 2017, 02:32 PM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jul 8 2017, 06:36 PM) *

My best idea? Don't...

agree.gif ... with Rob!

Even if you keep your own fabric & foam materials, & just put it on the 914Rubber fiberglass backpad panels, it will be better than the water damaged OE fiberboard.

If you need to be super low cost, then go to the local Home Depot or other DIY & get some 2 part resin or epoxy to try to repair the water damaged areas. You may need to cut away substantial amounts of the funky fiber layers that are water damaged, so you then have to lay in fresh fiberglass cloth &/or paperboard to build it back up. It will still be funky though.

I did this on the 2 small corners of a door card on one of my cars, but I don't recommend it for large areas.

Good Luck! beerchug.gif
beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

No need to use epoxy,polyester is fine mine came out a treat.
From my pic you see I gave it a resin rich coat to hold the cardboard together,let that dry and sand it back and used surfboard cloth to beef it up,really works but time spent of course.
Click to view attachment
The main reason for the resin coat is to hold the broken area and provide a way of sanding back the staple ends that have popped through,you need to cut out some broken bits to get the pad back into shape.
Best to use some bondo (bog we call it ) to get a good surface to glass over,be aware it will smell for a few days then it comes right.
EdwardBlume
I used bondo and gorilla glue with a 914rubber kit. Even cut some from a donor panel. You'll never see it. laugh.gif
gereed75
I have not tackled this job yet but I was thinking that one of the wood rot epoxy products would be the ticket. These products are made to soak into the fibers.

Has Anyone tried that??
barefoot
i did my own repairs on the fiberboard backing using West System epoxy and some
e-glass cloth. I happen to have this stuff around for marine repairs. No photos of the back pad repairs, but I did a repair on pedal board; glass on the backside & carbon on the front:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Keith914
I used the 914 Rubber fibre glass boards and glued with 3M upholstery glue and screws with clips in critical areas. I ground off the sharp screw ends and covered with strips of duct tape. I learned the hard way to protect myself from the drill cuttings/dust when working fibre glass!Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
daytona
Hi guys,
Thanks for all the suggestions and information.
I need to do this on the cheap if I can so I will try the resin and fiberglass first.
Thanks,
Bill.
saigon71
I used the fiberglass cloth & resin method on my lower corners. It worked very well. See post #367.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...3957&st=360

daytona
Thanks for the info saigon71.
Bill.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.