Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1.7 Head Torque Specs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mr.C
Can anybody tell me the head torque specs on the 1.7? I'm burnin the midnight oil

trying to get this engine done for a friend and I misplaced my book. I think I

remember something about not fully torqueing one side, but to evenly do each side at

a time in like three steps. I'm staying up till this is done so please help a fool get some

sleep. biggrin.gif
Mr.C
Oh well no bites? I'm pooped, sweaty and full of grease. Another great day of progress wink.gif .....nighty night.
ClayPerrine
23 foot/lbs. But make sure you follow the torque diagram.

And don't overtorque them. Some mechanics with lots of water cooled experience will look at the 23 foot/lbs. and say "Naaa.... that's gotta be a typo. Must be 83 foot/lbs." Then they promptly torque the hell out of the nuts.

Bad thing. It can cause the head studs to pull out of the case when the engine gets hot.

Trivia for the day.. From a cold start up to fully warmed up a 914/4 motor grows 1 inch wider. ohmy.gif

Mr.C
Cool, I remember it being really low. I'll divide that into three steps and torque both

heads evenly. My friend put this together last year with the head rings and #3 blew

out. He kept driving it thinking it was an exhaust leak, so it melted the head and

cracked the cylinder.
Cap'n Krusty
23-24 is fine. I use 27, BTW. IMO, the head gasket probably blew because the head wasn't flat, not because it wasn't torqued properly. The Cap'n
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.