Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 exhaust
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
popcorn1
looking for suggestions for exhaust systems to eliminate the VW clanger noise from the 914. What have you done and how do you like the results.
Steve
Triad muffler. Do a utube search to hear one. I have one on my six, but some of the locals have them on there 4's and they do a good job.
914Next
QUOTE(Steve @ Jul 9 2017, 11:45 AM) *

Triad muffler. Do a utube search to hear one. I have one on my six, but some of the locals have them on there 4's and they do a good job.

Hands down....Triad. Love mine on my 4.
jimkelly
it is so funny that its restricted air flow characteristics appear to fly in the face of HP idea.gif

i guess back pressure can't be ignored confused24.gif
pete000
Just installed a Triad on my 914-1.8 By far the best thing I have done so far !
bretth
You cannot forget the sound of a Scart. No comparison. It's stainless too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ji-C1VsCQBI
arne
Did I see recently that the maker of the Triads was on health hiatus?
IronHillRestorations
Putting a flat 6 in front of the exhaust will always make a great improvement on the sound.

I like the stock 2.0 banana muffler's unique sound.
falcor75
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXNzR7L_FRY&t=6s

Scart.... biggrin.gif
Mark Henry
914 exhaust, what are the best exhaust systems to improve "VW" sound

A six biggrin.gif
porschetub
QUOTE(Perry Kiehl @ Jul 10 2017, 07:47 AM) *

Putting a flat 6 in front of the exhaust will always make a great improvement on the sound.

I like the stock 2.0 banana muffler's unique sound.

lol-2.gif lol-2.gif ,I like the sound of the Triad but its a weird looking design,makes you wonder why they work well confused24.gif ,the Scart sounded rather loud @ higher rpm and certainly up there price wise,quality product however.
The T4 has a sound all of its own,have used several homemade exhausts and they all sound pretty much the same,IMO to reduce that VW sound a good oversize tail pipe helps, the banana muffler would be the best stock look muffler as Perry mentioned....with an enlarged tail pipe.
Few members on here have been happy with Tangerine racing version,looks like a good system to me.
rfinegan
Evo II from Tangerine racing. Mine are installed behind Kerry hunter headers PM for sound Video

-Robert

PS i have had Triad, Bursche, Monza in the past

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKTNsrbUqvI
popcorn1
QUOTE(popcorn1 @ Jul 9 2017, 11:40 AM) *

looking for suggestions for exhaust systems to eliminate the VW clanger noise from the 914. What have you done and how do you like the results.

anyone ever use this Glasspack exhaust ? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=le1K9323-mk
popcorn1
QUOTE(rfinegan @ Jul 10 2017, 09:16 AM) *

Evo II from Tangerine racing. Mine are installed behind Kerry hunter headers PM for sound Video

-Robert

Robert, very nice !
mb911
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Jul 9 2017, 09:25 AM) *

it is so funny that its restricted air flow characteristics appear to fly in the face of HP idea.gif

i guess back pressure can't be ignored confused24.gif

Very interesting no doubt.
moorepower
QUOTE(falcor75 @ Jul 9 2017, 03:26 PM) *

To "me" this is by far the best sounding muffler in a 914-4.
sb914
" scart" hands down agree.gif
BeatNavy
QUOTE(rfinegan @ Jul 10 2017, 09:16 AM) *

-Robert

I've got a Triad now. I think it's ok, but honestly it's a bit loud for me (or probably more for my neighbors in the early morning). Is the Tangerine exhaust any mellower? I know it looks awesome.
Curbandgutter
Someone at the last Hollywood meet had a 914-4 with one of those Tangerine headers and let me tell you it was the nicest sounding 914-4 I have ever heard. If you are trying to take out the VW bug sound and make it sound smoother and throatier.......then that is it. To be honest I thought that it wasn't a type 4. It was that smooth!
Robnxious
I would have to go with the Evo II from Tangerine as well, and I will let you know how it goes when mine is installed along w/ the headers, but I listened to this set up on YouTube and it sounds incredible
IronHillRestorations
I have a customer who had a dual center out pipe Tangerine muffler and we could not get rid of an exhaust backfire until we went to the stock muffler.
Curbandgutter
QUOTE(Robnxious @ Jul 10 2017, 07:57 AM) *

I would have to go with the Evo II from Tangerine as well, and I will let you know how it goes when mine is installed along w/ the headers, but I listened to this set up on YouTube and it sounds incredible

That youtube sound is not exxagerated. It sounds that smooth.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(Perry Kiehl @ Jul 10 2017, 10:57 AM) *

I have a customer who had a dual center out pipe Tangerine muffler and we could not get rid of an exhaust backfire until we went to the stock muffler.

That's because you had the carbs too lean for a muffler that free-flowing.
rfinegan
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Jul 10 2017, 07:05 AM) *

QUOTE(Perry Kiehl @ Jul 10 2017, 10:57 AM) *

That's because you had the carbs too lean for a muffler that free-flowing.

I had to jet for 130 mains to 150 with the above exhaust change on my weber IDF 40s
Alphaogre
QUOTE(popcorn1 @ Jul 10 2017, 06:41 AM) *

QUOTE(popcorn1 @ Jul 9 2017, 11:40 AM) *

anyone ever use this Glasspack exhaust ? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=le1K9323-mk

The current one I have now is one I built with an X pipe and glass packs on each side... It's loud and I run a little rich so its always popin, but I like that... shades.gif
Click to view attachment

At about 16 sec you can hear how it sounds as I drive by...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tH3Pg1cG-Ro

But I picked up a 911 banana muffler that I'm going to chop up and build into an RSR style muffler and see how that goes.
bbrock
Timely thread as I have been surfing youtube and google to get a feel for muffler options. I'm with Rob C. and want something quiet. The Evo II looks appealing. But I'm also looking at my unused Bursch and wondering about just cutting out the muffler and replacing with something quiet. I saw an ancient thread where this idea was kicked around, but no real world experiences. Anyone done it? The quieter, the better.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Alphaogre @ Jul 10 2017, 11:34 AM) *

The current one I have now is one I built with an X pipe and glass packs on each side... It's loud and I run a little rich so its always popin, but I like that... shades.gif

Except for the tangerine I find every dual tip is too loud.

The Tangerine (customers) has a nice rumble, but is actually a very quiet exhaust...for an aircooled.
No problem talking to your passenger or listening to the stereo with it at highway speed, even with the roof off.
drem914
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jul 10 2017, 09:40 AM) *

The Tangerine (customers) has a nice rumble, but is actually a very quiet exhaust...for an aircooled.
No problem talking to your passenger or listening to the stereo with it at highway speed, even with the roof off.

@ChrisFoley Tangerine has several header sizes to pick from. 1-1/2" to 1-7/8". How do you determine what diam. street header system from Tangerine should be used with the Street exhaust?
Mark Henry
QUOTE(drem914 @ Jun 12 2021, 01:07 AM) *

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jul 10 2017, 09:40 AM) *

@ChrisFoley Tangerine has several header sizes to pick from. 1-1/2" to 1-7/8". How do you determine what diam. street header system from Tangerine should be used with the Street exhaust?

I have a Tangerine mega street header 1-7/8" and an EVO2 muffler that was on an 2.3, very nice sound, bit of a cool growl, but again not too loud.
StarBear
YEARS (45?)ago got tired of replacing stock muffler and heat exchangers as here in NJ with snow and salt. Working in industrial noise control at the time, so just split one open, did some calcs and adjusted the baffle spacing and added a mix of perf diameters. Had one made to spec, in stainless, with slightly thicker shell. It’s still on and working. Still with the original tailpipe, so can’t tell unless looking underneath. Has a nice VW, slightly cranky air-cooled sound, but mostly just from the engine.
biggrin.gif
Shivers
I really loved the sound of my Anza, but it is louder than most and hung down to clear the valance. It bottomed out with little effort. So I took an anza and a Montana and built this.

Click to view attachment

It is a lot quieter then the anza and sits up where it should be.

Click to view attachment
mb911
A lot has happened since this thread started. Triad is not making them anymore and I now make stainless mufflers for these cars
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.