Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Alternative to bonnet pins on a GRP panel?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Biggles
Has anyone out there got ideas or carried out an alternative system to fix the front bonnet (hood) when it's a GRP panel (the one with the balsa wood inserts)?

My reasons for this are two fold: 1) the front latch on it's own is not enough and 2) my car is a road car and I just don't want to use unsightly pins.

I had thought about using a solenoid mounted on the headlight triangular hinge plate that when the ignition is on, it throws out a bolt which engages a latch on the underside of the bonnet locking it in place until the ignition is turned off - only problem there I've discovered is getting a small enough solenoid which can be run continuously (generally they get hot which is a fire risk).

A curved latch system like on a door might be an alternative but not sure how to disengage the latch once the bonnet is shut.

I've run out of ideas, so any good thoughts welcomed.

thanks
ConeDodger
Biggles,
Just how fast are you going? Before I put the hood pins on mine I just used the factory latch, which I still use in addition to the pins for security. While it was just the factory latch, I didn't have a problem. You pretty much cannot use the hood Springs or it bows the hood about midway on both sides.
Biggles
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jul 9 2017, 08:57 PM) *

Biggles,
Just how fast are you going? Before I put the hood pins on mine I just used the factory latch, which I still use in addition to the pins for security. While it was just the factory latch, I didn't have a problem. You pretty much cannot use the hood Springs or it bows the hood about midway on both sides.

yes, but it's added security as you say, as there isn't much torsional rigidity in the panel really. I'm aware that the springs have to come off as it'll over power the panel.

Chris.
stugray
I have wanted to try the aero catch latches on my car:

IPB Image

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/aec-120-...RBoCDpoQAvD_BwE

but havent pulled the trigger yet.

Mine are already kind of unique:
IPB Image
Biggles
QUOTE(stugray @ Jul 9 2017, 09:31 PM) *

I have wanted to try the aero catch latches on my car:

IPB Image

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/aec-120-...RBoCDpoQAvD_BwE

but havent pulled the trigger yet.

Mine are already kind of unique:
IPB Image

cheers but i'm not looking for anything visible on the bonnet.
I can't be the only one that's thought of this idea ? ....
barefoot
Instead of solenoids, you could run cables to both sides & mounted next to the regular hood latch cable.
csdilligaf
Sounds to me that you want nothing showing so that leave something like getting two more hood latches and build your own set up. A bit of work but I can see it being done and use the same pull handle just with a 3 way splitter so all three pop at the same time.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.