Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bad fuel pump
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
wrpspddrvr
Hi all. My feul pump stopped working. How do I go about checking if it's the pump itself or the rlays or something?
I'm dyin' here!

Thanks!

Cole monkeydance.gif
CptTripps
QUOTE (wrpspddrvr @ May 15 2005, 07:38 AM)
Hi all. My feul pump stopped working. How do I go about checking if it's the pump itself or the rlays or something?
I'm dyin' here!

Thanks!

Cole monkeydance.gif

Take it out, plug it into a 12V power supply, and see if it pushes water or fuel.

That's how I did it anyway...
wrpspddrvr
How do I plug it into a 12v power supply? I have very little clue about electrical stuff. I can splice wires.....
IOW, where do I find a 12v supply, what wires do I put where, etc....

Thanks!

Cole monkeydance.gif
CptTripps
Just make leads, and hook it up to a battery...There should only be two leads...put them to a battery. If it goes the wrong way, it's hooked up backwards.

That's really all the more complicated it is...
wrpspddrvr
Awesome. Back in a bit.

THANKS!!!

Cole monkeydance.gif
ClayPerrine
more simple that that. Disconnect the fuel pump. Hook a test light across the fuel pump connections. Turn the key on. The test light should come on for 2 seconds then go out (That is assuming it's a 1.7 or 2.0 with stock injection). If it doesn't, then there is a problem with the fuel pump wiring. If it does light up, replace the fuel pump.

AND DON'T USE WATER TO TEST A FUEL PUMP!!! Gasoline is used to cool the pump, and water willl cause the wiring to corrode more raplidly. Not to mention that you also can't get allthe water out. So it is now in your fuel system waiting to make your car run bad.......

CptTripps
QUOTE (ClayPerrine @ May 15 2005, 08:24 AM)
AND DON'T USE WATER TO TEST A FUEL PUMP!!!   Gasoline is used to cool the pump, and water willl cause the wiring to corrode more raplidly. Not to mention that you also can't get allthe water out. So it is now in your fuel system waiting to make your car run bad.......

Yeah...on second thought...that's good advise. Sorry bout that...I answered the question pre-coffee.

If my fuel pump is always running, where shoudl I look? When I turn the key, I can hear it constantly running...is that a bad thing? Or do I have a crossed wire somewhere...
ClayPerrine
QUOTE (CptTripps @ May 15 2005, 07:34 AM)
QUOTE (ClayPerrine @ May 15 2005, 08:24 AM)
AND DON'T USE WATER TO TEST A FUEL PUMP!!!   Gasoline is used to cool the pump, and water willl cause the wiring to corrode more raplidly. Not to mention that you also can't get allthe water out. So it is now in your fuel system waiting to make your car run bad.......

Yeah...on second thought...that's good advise. Sorry bout that...I answered the question pre-coffee.

If my fuel pump is always running, where shoudl I look? When I turn the key, I can hear it constantly running...is that a bad thing? Or do I have a crossed wire somewhere...

What year and engine?
wrpspddrvr
Fuel pump is fine. I wired it to my battery and it ran. Crap.
So I assume it's something in the electrical system TO the fuel pump. I can check wires for breaks, but how do I "jump the relay" like Britt said? Any other things to check and far as electrical stuff is concerned for the FP?

Thanks!!!!!!!!! You guys have been a big help.

Cole monkeydance.gif
ClayPerrine
Just put a jumper wire from pin 30 to pin 87 on the relay board for the fuel pump relay. The pump should run.

If not, check the fuse on the relay board. Clean up the contacts with some sandpaper (or swipe the toolwench's emory board she uses to file her fingernails biggrin.gif ). Put in a new fuse and jumper the relay again.

Attached is the diagram of the relay board. Number 75 is the fuel pump relay.

ClayPerrine
Also remember that the white wire on the engine harness is also tied to the fuel pump circuit. A short to ground in that wire will blow the fuse on the relay board.

The fuse is the one closest to the rear on the relay board.
wrpspddrvr
Okay, I'm going out to try that now. I tried using my other relays in place of the normal one, didn't work. Replaced the fuse. It was blown. I replaced the one towards the rear of the car, it was blue. Blew another fuse, but still nothing.
Gonna go try jumping it.

Thanks!

Cole monkeydance.gif
Cap'n Krusty
If the fuse keeps blowing, jumping the terminals ain't gonna make it well. It's ALREADY got power ..................Fix the short, likely at the AAR. The Cap'n
CptTripps
QUOTE (ClayPerrine @ May 15 2005, 08:40 AM)

What year and engine?

I have a 72 2.0 w/Webber 44IDF Carbs.

Any thoughts?
ClayPerrine
If you have carbs, the person that installed them made the fuel pump run whenever the key is on. That is kinda normal for a carb conversion.

If you have stock D-Jet FI, the fuel pump will run for 2 seconds when the key is turned on and then when the engine is running.

With the stock L-Jet (74-75 1.8 only), the fuel pump will run anytime the starter circuit is engaged, and whenever there is enough airflow over the airflow meter to open the flap.
Dave_Darling
QUOTE (Cap'n Krusty @ May 15 2005, 07:55 AM)
If the fuse keeps blowing, jumping the terminals ain't gonna make it well. It's ALREADY got power ..................Fix the short, likely at the AAR. The Cap'n

What the Cap'n said.

BTW, for anyone else who has D-jetronic fuel pump issues/questions--Brad Anders has a troubleshooting flowchart on his excellent D-jet website. http://members.rennlist.com/pbanders .

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.