Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Lost my Ignition Keys
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
phillstek
Total bummer as I’ve lost my keys.

Have removed the steering wheel then went to the workshop manual to learn how to remove the ignition lock but found that the manual only describes how to remove 914/6 ignition lock.

I’m trying to work out the best option for the repair. Have been in contact with a local locksmith who said he could probably cut a replacement key but it sounded though it could be very costly.

Went online to look for a new replacement lock but only found cheap and nasty non genuine.

Questions: How do I get to the lock to remove it?

Once I have it out, do I replace it with a shitty one or have a key cut off the original?

Can anybody recommend alternatives and/or know where I can get an OEM lock with keys new or used?

TIA

Phil
Tom_T
Phil,

I don't think that there are any New/NOS Porsche Ignition Locks available anymore, & if you did a change, then you'd have to have all of the door, trunks (2) & glove box locks rekeyed as well. Most aftermarket ones should be labeled as POS.

So - unless the ignition lock was bad - you're probably best to have the existing ignition key cut as original, but your locksmith should be able to do so from a door lock, without removing the ignition.

Both OE keys would be the same except the black one is grooved lengthwise on both sides to operate all locks, while the red valet key is grooved on one side & won't operate the trunks' & glovebox locks.

So the door locks are common to both & ignition, & the locksmith should be able to decode it from the lock's pin setting AFAIK.
PS - I know people here locally in SoCal who've had it done in years past off the door locks, & they're the easiest to remove.

Make sure to have him make you a back-up set or two to keep in a safe place or two.

Good Luck! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
rhodyguy
Try a mobile locksmith. The ign can be read with a soft blank, they stick it in and wiggle the key back and forth leaving witness marks on the blank, then read the marks against a chart, program it in the fancy key cutting machine and it's done aside from some fine tuning so the ign turned smoothly. I had to have it done. Took about 15 minutes and iirc cost $120ish. I did not pull the switch.
sb914
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jul 9 2017, 06:06 PM) *

Try a mobile locksmith. The ign can be read with a soft blank, they stick it in and wiggle the key back and forth leaving witness marks on the blank, then read the marks against a chart, program it in the fancy key cutting machine and it's done aside from some fine tuning so the ign turned smoothly. I had to have it done. Took about 15 minutes and iirc cost $120ish. I did not pull the switch.

agree.gif I had a locksmith do mine took him 15 mins!
rgalla9146
Did your key operate the drivers door lock as it should ?
Can you remove a door handle ?
The code might even still be on it. Even if it's not ..... $30. max
phillstek
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jul 10 2017, 11:50 AM) *

Phil,

I don't think that there are any New/NOS Porsche Ignition Locks available anymore, & if you did a change, then you'd have to have all of the door, trunks (2) & glove box locks rekeyed as well. Most aftermarket ones should be labeled as POS.

So - unless the ignition lock was bad - you're probably best to have the existing ignition key cut as original, but your locksmith should be able to do so from a door lock, without removing the ignition.

Both OE keys would be the same except the black one is grooved lengthwise on both sides to operate all locks, while the red valet key is grooved on one side & won't operate the trunks' & glovebox locks.

So the door locks are common to both & ignition, & the locksmith should be able to decode it from the lock's pin setting AFAIK.
PS - I know people here locally in SoCal who've had it done in years past off the door locks, & they're the easiest to remove.

Make sure to have him make you a back-up set or two to keep in a safe place or two.

Good Luck! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

Thanks Tom,

Unfortunately the doors are different to the ignition as I replaced the handles some time ago and I did a glove box delete when converted to right hand drive. So those options are out but thanks for the suggestions all the same, biggrin.gif
phillstek
Will go by the local locksmith and ask about the "soft blank" option. Locksmiths here charge like wounded bulls and as soon as they know it's a Porsche it goes up even more.

It would be cheaper for me to remove the lock and take it to them rather than have them come out to my place as it's $130 for a call out.

So how do I get the lock?
Mark Henry
PM member "tweet" he sells the kits to re-do all your locks all the same and IIRC will do it as a service. He can likely help you out, FedEx a kit to you within 2-3 days and point you to a how to instruction thread, etc.
Mark Henry
Found it for you

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=214952
phillstek
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jul 10 2017, 01:27 PM) *

Thank you Mark, very helpful. I'll keep this in mind and if I have no luck here will contact Tweet.

Meanwhile, how do I get to the lock?
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(phillstek @ Jul 9 2017, 09:14 PM) *

Will go by the local locksmith and ask about the "soft blank" option. Locksmiths here charge like wounded bulls and as soon as they know it's a Porsche it goes up even more.

It would be cheaper for me to remove the lock and take it to them rather than gave them come out to my place as it's $130 for a call out.

----> READ THIS LINK
mepstein
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jul 9 2017, 10:25 PM) *

PM member "tweet" he sells the kits to re-do all your locks all the same and IIRC will do it as a service. He can likely help you out, FedEx a kit to you within 2-3 days and point you to a how to instruction thread, etc.

agree.gif I'm a very satisfied customer.
phillstek
QUOTE(Garold Shaffer @ Jul 10 2017, 01:36 PM) *

It would be cheaper for me to remove the lock and take it to them rather than gave them come out to my place as it's $130 for a call out.

----> READ THIS LINK

Awesome, this is exactly what I need, thank you.
phillstek
QUOTE(Garold Shaffer @ Jul 10 2017, 01:36 PM) *

----> READ THIS LINK

Got home from work this arvo, followed the Pelican recipe closely and bingo, out it came. Dropped the lock off at the local locksmith. They made no promises re being able to re key it and will call me after taking a look at it.

Thanks again for the link Garold.

Apologies for the state of the interior, I should vacuum it at least but taking it to the farm with friends always results in it getting grubby.

mepstein
Sorry, forgot where you are located. Im sure you will get it worked out and driving again.

As soon as you get the keys made, you will find the old ones.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.