Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: boges?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tat2dphreak
I saw these boge rear shocks on ebay: BOGES

are boges a comfy ride?

it looks like the perches for springs are missing... are these available?

anything's better than the KYBs I have right?!
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (tat2dphreak @ May 15 2005, 10:18 AM)
it looks like the perches for springs are missing... are these available?

anything's better than the KYBs I have right?!

i have had a couple of flavors of Boge on various cars and i thought they were fine for street use.

spring perches are never included with OEM dampers. they should be on your current dampers... swap them over. the part number you're looking for (near as i can tell...) is 914.333.521.01 -- they should be easily available.

i am no fan of KYB's ...
mihai914
Boge is the original type shock and it is much better than a KYB. As Rich said, it's a good shock for street use not as stiff as the KYB.

Mihai
tat2dphreak
cool.
I know they aren't konis or Bils, but I can handle that until I have the $$ for Konis...

hopefully they will stay cheap smile.gif
smooth_eddy
Wayne.... I just sent you a PM.
tat2dphreak
they KYBs have a plate on them, do you think that plate can be moved to the boges(if I am not outbid tonight)? if not I'll try to find a plate somewhere...

what else do I need to make the change complete? would heavier springs be better? since I am in there...
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (tat2dphreak @ May 15 2005, 06:32 PM)
they KYBs have a plate on them, do you think that plate can be moved to the boges...

"plate" confused24.gif ?

OEM spring perches can be "easily" transferred from one damper to another.

do you like the way your car handles now?
if yes, don't change stuff like springs.
if no - how would you like it to be different?

i agree the time to change springs is while you have the strut apart, but if you're not trying to affect the balance, don't tinker just for the hell of it...

just MHO.
tat2dphreak
I haven't been lucky enough to drive it smile.gif soon though... I was just curious how the much the springs would affect the ride... and since I was planning on having the shocks off, if I should get fresh springs too?

Plate was probably a bad term... perch is more correct I'm sure... if the perch cannot be moved from the KYBs I'll look into after market perches... any recomendation?
mihai914
The KYBs that I've seen have the spring perches welded to them. I think when people change over to those POS they toss the original perches. You will probably have to find some used ones to be able to use the Boge. If you are planning to change sooner than later to Koni or Bilstein then I would keep my money towards that. Plus you're in Texas, I don't know how the roads are but they can't be worse than Quebec!

Mihai
tat2dphreak
if I get the boges, I won't change them THAT soon... I plan the car to be a street car only.. I don't think I'll ever be able to justify $600 konis on it...

streets here are hit and miss, some good, some BAD!
tat2dphreak
ok, I got the rear shocks... other than finding some perches(any recommendations on aftermarket?) what else do I need in the rear?

also, I am going to do the fronts at the same time... a gracious member is selling me some used Bils for the front... what else should I do while up there? ball joints?

ArtechnikA
in the back - contact the usual used-parts purveyors. HPH, EASY, dC Automotive. if you're using OEM springs on OEM dampers, use the stock perches.

in the front - before going too far down that path, MAKE SURE your damper inserts are compatible with your struts. some are more compatible than others, and Bilstein is the one i'm least familiar with on that score. this will probably involving knowing EXACTLY who manufactured your struts.

the As Long As list on front suspension can cover every wear item, and there are several levels of replacement part for most of the elastomeric stuff...
tat2dphreak
I dunno if they are the OEM springs, how do I check?
ArtechnikA
Stock Spring Specs
tat2dphreak
thanks Rich! I'll check them out, or just bite the bullet and get new springs too, so I know...

Pelican lists the stock perches at $170 each! from what I can see, new springs and some aftermarket perches are less than that... 150# springs on ebay all the time for <$60... unless I can find a member with an extra set of stockers

I'll also put ball-joints and bushings on my to-do list...
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (tat2dphreak @ May 16 2005, 11:32 AM)
Pelican lists the stock perches at $170 each!

and the show new S calipers at $2500 a set when they rarely bring more than $300 at a swap meet. i GAVE away my last pair, little did i suspect i shouldda asked $350/pr :-)

check with the used-parts places, or put a note in the classifieds. with all the guys uprating to aftermarket springs and Koni Yellows there must be a big stash of stockers out there...
JWest
I have a bunch of stock perches - you just have to make the drive over here and pull them apart (let me check, I may have a few that are off).

I have some springs you might be interested in also.

All these parts are for the bargain price of free...
Mueller
or just bite the bullet and get new springs too, so I know...
.....why is it so hard for people to spend 10 minutes to take off their springs and measure them?? wacko.gif smile.gif

you might learn something and save some money rolleyes.gif

You should always know what you have and why you are changing things...........

tat2dphreak
QUOTE (James Adams @ May 16 2005, 10:44 AM)
I have a bunch of stock perches - you just have to make the drive over here and pull them apart (let me check, I may have a few that are off).

I have some springs you might be interested in also.

All these parts are for the bargain price of free...

see... James knows the magic word to make me make the 1.5 hour drive: "FREE" biggrin.gif although, "cheap" would have done the same... wink.gif

I'll check with you on a good time to come over... I may not make it until the next weekend, on call this week :| I'll bring the assumed removing tool: smash.gif

smilie_pokal.gif

thanks James!! beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.