Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Should this seat belt anchor be re-used?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
doug_b_928
My seat belt receiver nut that gets welded to the long was rusty. I bead blasted it and all of the rust appears to be gone, the metal appears to be quite thick and it's not easily bent, but the texture is rough, sort of pot metal-like (reminds me of the way my fog light housings looked). See the pic below.

If I re-use it I'll degrease, metal prep, and prime it. Given that, is it appropriate to reuse it, or should I cut the metal and make a new piece to which I'd weld the nut?

Also, the long was basically gone and so I just pulled the anchor out by hand. It doesn't appear to have been spot/plug welded to the long, but it must have been. That is how this piece attaches to the long, correct?

Click to view attachment
Mblizzard
Not a question you want to ask in an accident. I would replace.
doug_b_928
One problem is I question if the one I'd make would be as strong. If I make a new one I'd cut off the pot metal-like metal to keep the nut and weld new steel to it. I guess that would be at least as strong as it is now.
bbrock
Pete just posted earlier today on this thread that RD has these but don't have them on the web site yet. I noticed because I have one that looks just like yours.
doug_b_928
Thanks for the info. I just received a shipment from RD last Friday.... Wish I knew they had these to save on the shipping if I end up ordering them.
peteyd
I made a post in the vendors forum, but I know some people don't browse through there, so I will just post a photo of mine. more details in the vendor forum.

Click to view attachment
Mblizzard
QUOTE(peteyd @ Jul 12 2017, 04:45 AM) *

I made a post in the vendors forum, but I know some people don't browse through there, so I will just post a photo of mine. more details in the vendor forum.

Click to view attachment

Got to love those Restoration Design Guys!

I am slowly accumulating all the metal needed for the rebuild will have to add these to the list!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.