Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Center Cap Install & Removal Tool
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914_7T3
Picked this item up on eBay recently as it is used to remove & reinstall the Fuchs Center Caps without damaging them. Does anyone know the origin of this tool and was it widely used back in the day?

willis.gif

Click to view attachment
Krieger
Looks like pipe and a coupler to me. confused24.gif
Tom_T
From my days back then, the dealers had them or something similar, & used them to not cause damage.

However, almost no wheel & tire shops had them, & just bashed & mangled your caps - whether the thin aluminum Fuchs 2L/Mahle/Pedrini type, or plastic for the Steelies, Riviera, 8-spokers, etc. They really didn't care! dry.gif

I don't know the origin, but it may have been o Porsche or VW originated tool, which was later copied.

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
hcdmueller
I have the exact same tool sitting in a box somewhere in the garage. Came with my car. I got the impression it was a copy of a dealer tool.
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(Calvinator2016 @ Jul 10 2017, 09:00 PM) *

Picked this item up on eBay recently as it is used to remove & reinstall the Fuchs Center Caps without damaging them. Does anyone know the origin of this tool and was it widely used back in the day?

willis.gif

Click to view attachment

I made something similar. Real important IMHO. There are so many center caps ruined by punching them out without a proper tool
76-914
PVC or ABS pipe and coupling work just as well for pennies on the dollar. beerchug.gif
wes
QUOTE(76-914 @ Jul 11 2017, 09:34 AM) *

PVC or ABS pipe and coupling work just as well for pennies on the dollar. beerchug.gif

agree.gif
Mikey914
Yes was going tomake these but when I discovered how easy it is to do this with hardware store PVC pipe, it didn't even justify the shipping.
Way easy
914Sixer
A placed call PartWerks made them up in the early 1990's. They also made the original fender liners.
wes
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jul 11 2017, 10:30 AM) *

Yes was going tomake these but when I discovered how easy it is to do this with hardware store PVC pipe, it didn't even justify the shipping.
Way easy

Not only easy but went to my local hardware store told the guy what I wanted, he cuts the two pieces of some scrap pipe and wouldn't even take any $$ for them. I live in a small town!
IronHillRestorations
I've got a set of those tools too. Got them from Jay Mikesell (RIP) the PartsWerks guy. I always thought the fender liners were a good idea.
Mikey914
I did make and stock the fender liners.

http://shop.914rubber.com/Fender-liners-se...m?categoryId=-1
orthobiz
Got mine from Brad Mayeur.

Paul
mepstein
QUOTE(wes @ Jul 11 2017, 04:34 PM) *

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jul 11 2017, 10:30 AM) *

Way easy

Not only easy but went to my local hardware store told the guy what I wanted, he cuts the two pieces of some scrap pipe and wouldn't even take any $$ for them. I live in a small town!

I used some pvc flanges that fit each side. Have about $2 into each one.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.