Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Check out these early 911 front shocks
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Krieger
There are two here. One assembled. One pulled apart. Each strut can was loaded with oil and so were these tubes.
Racer
Maybe the pnuematic shocks from a 911E ?

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/91...1e-coupe-page-4

The hydropneumatic front suspension, made by BOGE, fits entirely within the Mac­Pherson strut and is completely self-con­tained, requiring no external pumps or pres­sure tanks. And, since the entire suspension function is performed by a piston acting on a high pressure gas chamber, no springs or anti-sway bars are used. The car's height is con­trolled by the position of the piston in its cylinder. Regardless of the load, the piston can be moved to a predetermined point by adjust­ing the pressure in the chamber. For instance, when a load is placed in the trunk, the front of the car goes down. After you start to drive, an internal pump—activated by suspension motion—pumps gas from a reservoir to the piston chamber and returns the front of the car to its proper height. Obviously the bumpier the road, the sooner the suspension reaches the proper height—but only on a glassy smooth surface should it take more than a quarter of a mile.
914Sixer
You got me, never seen any shocks like that.
arne
Very standard construction of early, pre-cartridge struts in many cars. When replacing, you toss it all and slide an insert in. I'm going to guess those are from a VERY early 911.
Krieger
QUOTE(Racer @ Jul 10 2017, 07:25 PM) *

Maybe the pnuematic shocks from a 911E ?

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/91...1e-coupe-page-4

The hydropneumatic front suspension, made by BOGE, fits entirely within the Mac­Pherson strut and is completely self-con­tained, requiring no external pumps or pres­sure tanks. And, since the entire suspension function is performed by a piston acting on a high pressure gas chamber, no springs or anti-sway bars are used. The car's height is con­trolled by the position of the piston in its cylinder. Regardless of the load, the piston can be moved to a predetermined point by adjust­ing the pressure in the chamber. For instance, when a load is placed in the trunk, the front of the car goes down. After you start to drive, an internal pump—activated by suspension motion—pumps gas from a reservoir to the piston chamber and returns the front of the car to its proper height. Obviously the bumpier the road, the sooner the suspension reaches the proper height—but only on a glassy smooth surface should it take more than a quarter of a mile.

Maybe!
arne
No, those are normal, non-gas strut parts. The hydropneumatic struts were far more complex, having a gas chamber as well.

IPB Image
porschetub
When working on VW golfs years ago only found this once,undid the top nut and oil pissed out when I pulled the unit upwards,if I remember right you can't fit inserts in because internal diameter is wrong....sounds like the same issue.these were Boge struts.
rgalla9146
QUOTE(arne @ Jul 10 2017, 10:59 PM) *

Very standard construction of early, pre-cartridge struts in many cars. When replacing, you toss it all and slide an insert in. I'm going to guess those are from a VERY early 911.

Bingo!
Standard operating procedure.
Done it many times....messy business.
Most were done long ago.
Krieger
Thanks guys! I wonder if they are worth anything. I am not going to use them. Maybe some CCW?
arne
There is a good chance that they will accept inserts that fit Boge struts, as that is what they really are, even if they didn't come with cartridge inserts originally.
Krieger
Arne I meant selling these inserts, not the struts. There are 2 seals for each, so they are rebuildable. Not much if any wear.
BillC
QUOTE(Krieger @ Jul 11 2017, 11:08 PM) *

Arne I meant selling these inserts, not the struts. There are 2 seals for each, so they are rebuildable. Not much if any wear.

I doubt the inserts are worth any more than their scrap weight. It would take a truly rabid CW to care that a part no one can possibly see without significant disassembly isn't the same as original, even if just for bragging rights. Plus, modern strut cartridges are far better than the original equipment parts.
IronHillRestorations
My guess is hyrdro-pneumatic.

I always thought the hyrdo-pneumatic were unique and required complete replacement of the strut assembly, but I've never had my hands on them.

Make sure you can use those with the front A arms. IIRC they don't all have compatible ball joints.
mepstein
QUOTE(Krieger @ Jul 11 2017, 10:50 PM) *

Thanks guys! I wonder if they are worth anything. I am not going to use them. Maybe some CCW?

Nope. $20 in shipping would be more than the value of the inserts.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.