Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear shock lower bolt
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
echocanyons
I wonder if anyone can tell me the size of the bolt on the lower part of the shock that connects to the trailing arm.

What is the best method of removing the shock/spring?

Do I need a spring compressor to reinstall?
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (echocanyons @ May 15 2005, 02:02 PM)
I wonder if anyone can tell me the size of the bolt on the lower part of the shock that connects to the trailing arm.

What is the best method of removing the shock/spring?

Do I need a spring compressor to reinstall?

it's not a bolt, exactly, since the head has an unusual shape; Porsche calls it a 'pin'.

it's 914.333.565.01 without the rear antiroll bar ball head, and
914.333.565.01 with the ball head.

it takes a M18x1,5 nut, and there is a special washer (914.333.566.01) under the head.

you don't need a spring compressor to remove the assembled strut, but it's not a bad idea to disassemble the strut (although i have done it *with stock springs* by having a helper maintain control of the upper nut with a mounted roadwheel held on top.

many aftermarket springs are so short there is no tension to be concerned about.

not clear from your question exactly what you're trying to do. do you *just* want to remove the spring/damper strut from your car? or do you want to disassemble it and replace the spring, or the damper, or both?

these procedures are covered in the Haynes, which you should have...
echocanyons
I want to replace my spings with a pair that doesnt sag so much.

On the other side of the pin there is a nut, the size of that nut is what I would like to know as I dont have a wrench large enough to fit it to remove it.

I assume I need to remove the large pin/nut from the bottom and the 18mm nut from the top.

I dont have a rear swaybar .

Thanks for your help
Eric_Shea
Rich, don't be give'n out bad advice or I'll sick the Cap'n on ya! laugh.gif

The nut and the unusual shaped head on the pin is 27mm. It's best to remove the 19mm (not 18mm) top bolt ahhhhhhhhhh I mean "NUT" and then remove the nut and the pin and slide the assembly down and out. You may need a 7mm and a 19mm open end wrench for the top. The 7mm (best to use locking pliers) to hold the shaft and the 19mm to turn the nut.

I use spring compressors on stock springs. 140lbers shouldn't need a compressor.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Eric_Shea @ May 15 2005, 01:22 PM)
Rich, don't be give'n out bad advice or I'll sick the Capt'n on ya! laugh.gif

The nut and the unusual shaped head on the pin is 27mm. It's best to remove the 19mm (not 18mm) top bolt and then remove the nut and the pin and slide the assembly down and out. You may need a 7mm and a 19mm open end wrench for the top. The 7mm (best to use locking pliers) to hold the shaft and the 19mm to turn the nut.

I use spring compressors on stock springs. 140lbers should need a compressor.

dont be givin out bad advice eric...

bilsteins have a hex key slot on top of the shaft.... a 7mm heck key and a 19mm wrench is all you need for billsteins biggrin.gif
Eric_Shea
Want a picture of some "Bilsteins" that are exactly the way I described Wienerschnitzel? finger.gif

laugh.gif
Eric_Shea
(Oh and you missed my typo on should and shouldn't... fixed it before you could rag on me about that Corona Boy!) beerchug.gif
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Eric_Shea @ May 15 2005, 01:26 PM)
Want a picture of some "Bilsteins" that are exactly the way I described Wienerschnitzel? finger.gif

laugh.gif

no. chicken mcnibbler.....
you said
may need a 7mm and a 19mm open end wrench for the top.

when in fact you need a 7mm HEX key biggrin.gif
Eric_Shea
In fact... it's an open end wrench (on my Bils), ya Rump Ranger.

And what the hell are we giving advice to a Guru for anyway? w00t.gif He should be telling all of us how to do it
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Eric_Shea @ May 15 2005, 01:30 PM)
In fact... it's an open end wrench (on my Bils), ya Rump Ranger.

And what the hell are we giving advice to a Guru for anyway? w00t.gif He should be telling all of us how to do it

wierd. my bills ahve a hex key....

we are such stooges......both right.... biggrin.gif

Incoming PM
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (Eric_Shea @ May 15 2005, 04:22 PM)
The nut and the unusual shaped head on the pin is 27mm. It's best to remove the 19mm (not 18mm) top bolt

the bottom nut may be 27mm ATF; i have no idea, and i didn't say...
i *did* say that the pin has 18x1,5mm threads - that's how it's specified.

i didn't say anything about the top nut.
Eric_Shea
Don't get all fancy pants with me Mr. Herzog. The Cap'n will have ya walking the plank. biggrin.gif

That's not what poor Kelly asked now is it...? I asked what temperature it was not what the barometric pressure and the damn dew point was lol3.gif

Who gives a rats pitutty about a 18x1.5 spec?? Huh? Huh? You may not have mentioned the "top" nut but he did because you took him out to left field and confused the man with your 18x1.5 bolt/thread spec... poor Kelly.

Cap'n, Cap'n, Cap'n... Talk to Rich would ya?

laugh.gif
Eric_Shea
(I know, I know... it is what he asked but, play along)
echocanyons
Thanks guys!

Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE (Eric_Shea @ May 15 2005, 01:02 PM)
Don't get all fancy pants with me Mr. Herzog. The Cap'n will have ya walking the plank. biggrin.gif

That's not what poor Kelly asked now is it...?

Who gives a rats pitutty about a 18x1.5 spec?? Huh? Huh? You may not have mentioned the "top" nut but he did because you took him out to left field and confused the man with your 18x1.5 bolt/thread spec... poor Kelly.

Cap'n, Cap'n, Cap'n... Talk to Rich would ya?

laugh.gif

He asked what size the bolt is, and Rich told him more than he asked for. He just didn't ask the question to get the answer he wanted ....................... And, BTW, there's NO bolt at the top of the rear shock (or the front one, for that matter).

Play nice! The Cap'n
Eric_Shea
Damn... sad.gif

laugh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.