Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Where did this MPS come from?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DNHunt
Got it with the new (to me) engine. I don't believe it is out of a 914. It has a longer nose than the 280 100 043. If I'm going to keep it, I suspect it will have to pass Dave Darling's float test. It's value can be determined by how fast it sinks.

It does look like the rest of the suff matches a 74 2.0L. Blew about 2lbs of old grease and oil off it yesterday. Showed the cleaned up engine to my wife. she's still not impressed. Sometimes women are hard to understand. This thing is much bigger than a diamond and is more useful than a diamond but she can't see anything but a big black hunk of metal. Oh well, its impossible to understand everthing in life.

Dave
garyh
Don't recognize the part # right away, but I'll dig through my stash this week-end and see if I can find a match.

Don't toss it just yet. If it doesn't leak, and the coils are in good shape, is can be made to match the motor. PBAnders web site teaches you how; I'm running just such an MPS on my car right now.

Oh, and another reason not to toss it: New replacements are $1K.

Gary.
Jeff Krieger
QUOTE(DNHunt @ Jul 3 2003, 08:49 AM)
Showed the cleaned up engine to my wife. she's still not impressed. Sometimes women are hard to understand. This thing is much bigger than a diamond and is more useful than a diamond but she can't see anything but a big black hunk of metal. Oh well, its impossible to understand everthing in life.

laugh.gif I'm with you on that, Dave. Maybe if you took some of the engine tin off and showed her the cooling fins?
Pam
Why don't you have your wife help you clean it all up....or clean up the pieces as you take them off. I know I got more enthused about the potential of used parts once I had actually been the one doing the cleaning and restoring.....you can see what a difference your hard work makes and really appreciate the end result.

Or...maybe that's just me.

-Pam
Lawrence
But if you make her clean up old parts (especially for sale), remember to take her out for beer and cheeseballs... if you're selling on evilBay, that should be only a fraction of the profit you make.

rolleyes.gif
rhodyguy
1000!!? are you serious?

kevin
DNHunt
Kevin,

Not sure what you're askin but if you're talking about an MPS off of a 411 or 412 I'll probably deep six it.

Dave
rhodyguy
gary states new units were a grand. I was speachless, dumdfounded,...

kevin
Bleyseng
Its off an early 1.7 probably a late 70 or early 71.
Don't toss it as if the diaphram is good the parts are worth using to fix a 2.0L one.

Geoff
DNHunt
Geoff

OK you saved it. I don't know about the diapham, guess I'll have to check it. I was about ready to fill it with lead and use it for a weight on a downrigger. Guess I'll have to go buy a 5 lb lead at Narrows Marina. Incidentally a new 2.0L MPS is 725 @ PP

Dave
Bleyseng
I still take bad 037 or 043 2.0l MPS's and stick in a new used diaphram and recalibrate them.

Geoff
Porsche Rescue
Geoff got it right. My '71 has an 019 MPS.
garyh
Oops, not quite. $725 new from PP.
Catalog Page The -043 (74 & up -2.0) is the -only- one still available new from vendors.

Now you know why we rebuild them.

(PS: I have a NOS -049 if someone is interested)

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jul 3 2003, 04:14 PM)
gary states new units were a grand. I was speachless, dumdfounded,...
kevin
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.