Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Six Muffler Options?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
Cracker
What are the popular choices for mufflers when working with heat exchangers and a six valance? Thank you.

Tony

**Update**
I found a solution...thanks Tom and Mark for your thoughts! beer.gif
Tom_T
Tony,

Go look at Dave's/toolguy ad for the -6 muffler & modified short valance ad now in the Parts classifieds - that was one option, with the muffler used either without a valance, or a modified snowplow valance (not recco'd today due to their scarcity & value), or a FG short flat or notched aftermarket valance, or a modified shorty like Dave made (back in the day Dave used to do resto's & race cars for a top guy you'd know, so he knows them).

That was one option. Google 914-6 & find period pix for a start on some of the other set-ups from back-in-the-day, & more recent types.

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Cracker
Tom,

Thank you...I have an original -6 Valance (porthole). I will look at his ad...

Cheers.

T

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jul 11 2017, 01:34 PM) *

Tony,

Go look at Dave's/toolguy ad for the -6 muffler & modified short valance ad now in the Parts classifieds - that was one option, with the muffler used either without a valance, or a modified snowplow valance (not recco'd today due to their scarcity & value), or a FG short flat or notched aftermarket valance, or a modified shorty like Dave made (back in the day Dave used to do resto's & race cars for a top guy you'd know, so he knows them).

That was one option. Google 914-6 & find period pix for a start on some of the other set-ups from back-in-the-day, & more recent types.

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

mepstein
You're going to need one of ben's new ss exhaust. I bet he can make exit correct for your valance.
Cracker
I have spoken to Ben - classy and talented gentleman - I have Dansk heat exchangers though. Hope you are well Mark...

Tony

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 11 2017, 04:38 PM) *

You're going to need one of ben's new ss exhaust. I bet he can make exit correct for your valance.

lalee914
When I bought my /6 a whole bunch of years ago it had an aftermarket Monza muffler on it. I ran that for quite a few years then swapped it out for an OEM muffler. After driving the stock Porsche muffler for about 10 minutes I came to the conclusion that the Monza was a total piece of crap. It had a big flat spot in the rev range that the Porsche muffler did not have. I didn't know how bad the Monza was until it was gone.
Cracker
I decided to go with a Dansk unit...supposedly made for the six. Time will tell whether the fit and performance are up to snuff.

T
mepstein
QUOTE(Cracker @ Jul 14 2017, 08:43 PM) *

I decided to go with a Dansk unit...supposedly made for the early six. Time will tell whether the fit and performance are up to snuff.

T

Good choice as well.
whatabout1
Like the look of the M&K GT3 style. chowtime.gif
porschetub
QUOTE(lalee914 @ Jul 13 2017, 04:02 AM) *

When I bought my /6 a whole bunch of years ago it had an aftermarket Monza muffler on it. I ran that for quite a few years then swapped it out for an OEM muffler. After driving the stock Porsche muffler for about 10 minutes I came to the conclusion that the Monza was a total piece of crap. It had a big flat spot in the rev range that the Porsche muffler did not have. I didn't know how bad the Monza was until it was gone.

The stock type muffler is apparently very well designed,I don't know how much extra power the aftermarket ones free up but usually that's @ the expense of more noise and the extra power being made higher in the rev range.
mepstein
I'm guessing Tony wanted something that looked traditional if he's doing a stock looking 6,
I found a nos M&K 911R for my 3,2 conversion. It looks awesome and sounds glorious.
mepstein
QUOTE(lalee914 @ Jul 12 2017, 12:02 PM) *

Same story when I drove my carb'd 4 back in the 80.s It was considered an upgrade.
IronHillRestorations
There's a back pressure/volumetric equation in there that the factory nailed with the muffler they came up with. It's not the prettiest, or the loudest, or the most race car sound, and it's not as free flowing, but it really, really works.

Is some guy in a garage with great fabrication skills really going to make a better muffler than what Porsche designed? Not to bag on anyone who would try, but that's the question I ask myself.

Duplicating the factory design is a good place to start, and a muffler that was designed for a 2.0 displacement would obviously giving up something on larger motors.

Not possessing an engineering degree, I'd probably start by capping everything off and seeing how much fluid it holds, and then try and knock off the internal baffling, which it looks like Ben is doing. I hope he can come up with a legit option.
gereed75
I've got a stocker on my 2.4 six - Runs great too quiet. Beta tested Ben's latest - ran great, nice unit same noise as stock (none).

Will be running a Bursch with a Flowmaster 40 Series soon. Will report back.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.