Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Did heat change my valve adjustment?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
second wind
Hey Guys,
It has been warm but my '73 2.0 still runs great. One morning after just a couple of miles it started running slow and weak. Have inspected and changed plugs, wires, etc. and discovered low compression (60 lbs) in number 1 hole. Car starts, idles, runs, but obviously has an issue. My best helpers say a valve adjustment will bring it back for sure. Anyone been through this and any thoughts/ideas will be appreciated. Thank you very much.
gg
Dave_Darling
Heat, given enough of it over a long enough period of time, can change your valve adjustment. Remember, tolerance on those is +- 0.002", which isn't much at all.

Out-of-spec valves can very definitely affect your compression! Your helpers may be correct, and it's very much something to try.

Keep an eye on the adjustments, though. If there is one valve that keeps closing up, it is stretching and you need to rebuild the heads before the valve breaks up and does the fandango all over your cylinder head and piston top.

--DD
second wind
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jul 13 2017, 03:54 PM) *

Heat, given enough of it over a long enough period of time, can change your valve adjustment. Remember, tolerance on those is +- 0.002", which isn't much at all.

Out-of-spec valves can very definitely affect your compression! Your helpers may be correct, and it's very much something to try.

Keep an eye on the adjustments, though. If there is one valve that keeps closing up, it is stretching and you need to rebuild the heads before the valve breaks up and does the fandango all over your cylinder head and piston top.

--DD

Thank you DD.....engine has maybe 20,000 miles on it and 1,500 since last valve adjust.....the low compression says plenty.....hopefully minor not major.....you know the feeling....
gg
second wind
QUOTE(second wind @ Jul 13 2017, 07:31 PM) *

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jul 13 2017, 03:54 PM) *

--DD

Thank you DD.....engine has maybe 20,000 miles on it and 1,500 since last valve adjust.....the low compression says plenty.....hopefully minor not major.....you know the feeling....
gg

Also....added CH temp gauge since rebuild.....never gets close to hot...oil hit 275 degrees however at WCR.....ran fine for another 500 miles...just so you know...thank you...
gg
TheCabinetmaker
How did you add a ch sensor? Pics please.
second wind
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Jul 14 2017, 05:41 AM) *

How did you add a ch sensor? Pics please.

I put a Cylinder Head Temperature sensor under the number three spark plug with gauge under dash. it never seems to get even close to too hot. The stock oil temperature gauge hit the red area for just a bit. I dropped a oil temp gauge down the dip stick hole and it did hit 275 degrees. This was 500 miles ago. Thanks for your interest.
gg
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.