Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What do you feel is worth more $$$
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tracks914
I am looking at buying a '74 thats been parked for 17 years.
I don't know if I want to rebiuld the whole car right now or convert my car to a 2.0. I would hate to devalue my car but for an extra 25% HP, it might be fun.
spare time toys
The most valuable one is one you are happy with and its what you want biggrin.gif
Porsche Rescue
This is not an "apples to apples" comparison. If the '74 2.0 is restored to the same standard as the '72 it will always be worth more in the market place. While converting a '72 to side shift will improve the shifting, you will not recoup the cost when selling the '72.
tat2dphreak
you won't hardly recoup any costs on restoring these cars, it's a labor of love...

Larry is right... whatever you are more happy with...
markb
Yup, it's worth more if it's what you want.
GaroldShaffer
Here is my 70 with a FI 74 2.0L with euro P &C and side shift trans. Now all this was done before I bought it, but I would have end up doing it anyway. Hopefully my 3yr plan to make it a /6 goes well rolleyes.gif

What do you plan to use the car for? Any AXing, the extra 25hp can't hurt.

I drive my car every chance I get and I AX every chance I get.

mihai914
QUOTE (tracks914 @ May 15 2005, 06:24 PM)
I would hate to devalue my car but for an extra 25% HP, it might be fun.

Why would it devalue your car if you would be running the 2.0 for the extra juice and keep the boat anchor in a corner for CW purposes?

My .02$ CDN

Mihai
xsboost90
these things are like beetles, tons of em'! Make it what you want.
anthony
I wouldn't worry about value. There isn't much about a 1.7 engine that is collectible. Go with the 2.0 and never look back.
azbill
If you want a "nice car" show condition not concourse buy don't build it unless you love the challenge of building. There is great satisfaction from the experience. You will NOT make any money or break even at this time. If you hold the car for several years ther might be some upside it a crap shoot.
Mark Henry
I could make my 74 1.8 concourse for less than a third of what my engine is costing. But who want's a concourse 1.8????

If it's a /6, LE, '73 2.0 etc. thats a different matter but IMO it's your car do as you like.
ewdysar
To me, the 2.0 and sideshift are more valuable, though a collector may prefer the original drivetrain (matching numbers, etc.) And a car in really good shape is wayyyy ahead of a project, barring hard to find, unmolested projects. And since it appears that a VW Thing is worth twice what most teeners are worth, rolleyes.gif pick the car that you want to drive. beerchug.gif

Eric
ArtechnikA
a "collector" will be looking for a car with less than 10,000 mi - and there are plenty of them out there from which to choose. they are pricey, but there's something about "cheap" and "serious collector" that do not go together.

if your car has anything like average miles, it is *not* collectable.
it may well be a very nice car, but you don't "make" a museum piece - you find them.
rjkavanagh
In my opinion (for what it's worth) half the fun of these cars is to personalize them. Go have fun with it. burnout.gif
anthony
QUOTE (rjkavanagh @ May 16 2005, 05:28 PM)
In my opinion (for what it's worth) half the fun of these cars is to personalize them. Go have fun with it. burnout.gif

These days a bone stock car is a form of personalization since there are so few of them left!
tracks914
Wow, not at all what I expected but I love the comments.
I think I will go pick up the 2.0 and put it into my '72.
TX
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (anthony @ May 16 2005, 08:15 PM)
QUOTE (rjkavanagh @ May 16 2005, 05:28 PM)
In my opinion (for what it's worth) half the fun of these cars is to personalize them.   Go have fun with it. burnout.gif

These days a bone stock car is a form of personalization since there are so few of them left!

only if bone stock fits your personality... wink.gif

feel me you do?
DblDog
I bought my 914 (still not used to 'teener) new in May of 72. After many alternating bouts of driving and storage, its almost ready for the road , again. Its 'bone stock' save a rebuilt 1.7. No plans to change. When I take it out now I get that rush like the first time I drove it...still a kick in the pants to drive. Personalization? Big time!

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.