Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: #8 nose bearing coatings or replace? -6
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mb911
So crank and case are now back and almost ready for me to assemble. Typically #8 can be reused as they are expensive and typically don't wear. Mine however is worn. Is there anyone who could coat this and save it ?Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
mb911
I do see they are anywhere from 145 to 250 for the bearing.
mepstein
Yikes, retail sucks biggrin.gif
mb911
Thanks Mark for helping out.. I really appreciate it..
Front yard mechanic
US Chrome
Mark Henry
Like this?

IPB Image
Mark Henry
Those are all used, but within spec bearings, I DFL (dry film lube) coated them.
It works good but it won't repair scratches, etc.
It also won't bring an out of spec bearing back into spec, it's only about .0002-.0004 thick.
mb911
Thanks guy's.. Mark is that sprayed on and then baked? Either way I am good to go now. I have the super expensive 1st under main bearings with number 8 being standard that Mark Epstein found me. Thanks again.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(mb911 @ Jul 15 2017, 08:44 AM) *

Thanks guy's.. Mark is that sprayed on and then baked? Either way I am good to go now. I have the super expensive 1st under main bearings with number 8 being standard that Mark Epstein found me. Thanks again.

You have to clean, light blast it with a special dedicated media, spotless clean, spray and bake at exactly a certain temp (+/-5F).
Not too bad if you follow the procedure to the letter, ceramic coatings are a lot harder to get right.

Stock 930 pistons with DFL skirts and ceramic coated tops:

IPB Image
mb911
Thanks Mark E for sending me a new spare nose bearing.. I really appreciate
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.