Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What exactly is a fan shrould made of ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
warpig
I have heard both answers to these questions.
Is it aluminum or an alloy? Aluminum can be anodized but some alloys can't.
Anybody got this kernel of knowledge in their arsenal? blink.gif
Thanks
Tom_T
I'm not sure if it's all aluminum or an aluminum alloy, but it's not anodized, cuz you can use 000 or 0000 steel wool to polish them, which wouldn't happen if anoodized unless you stripped the anodizing.

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
mepstein
I don't know for sure but it seems like a very porous aluminum. I have a couple cores if you need a sample to test. Just the cost of shipping.
Krieger
I think it is aluminum and magnesium. Some people have powder coated them.
Mark Henry
It's magnesium, the factory finish chromium pickle, giving it a slight goldish hue for it's first 5 minutes of life.
mepstein
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jul 14 2017, 08:56 PM) *

It's magnesium, the factory finish chromium pickle, giving it a slight goldish hue for it's first 5 minutes of life.

Makes sense. The cericote paint that ben uses on his repaired 911 fan and housings would look nice. Not cheap but can be done at home vs powdercoating. Polishing mag is pretty futile. I could vapor blast but it will still go back to natural by the time the engine goes back in the car.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 14 2017, 09:06 PM) *

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jul 14 2017, 08:56 PM) *

Makes sense. The cericote paint that ben uses on his repaired 911 fan and housings would look nice. Not cheap but can be done at home vs powdercoating. Polishing mag is pretty futile. I could vapor blast but it will still go back to natural by the time the engine goes back in the car.

I've had OK luck powder coating them.
You have to blast and powder coat them same day, the sooner you PC the better. I would imagine the cericote would be the same, blast then coat ASAP.

Mag is why when you see a shroud that's seen lots of salt it looks like the tin worms have been munching on it.
forrestkhaag
My fan shroud is made of fiberglass.......... My fan housing is metal of some sort. Responds very well to a glass bead blast.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.