Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Home from 62nd Parade
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
akellym
We just got home from the 62nd Parade in Spokane:) We managed to take 1st in preparation street again and we did it after having to drive on more gravel than I thought possible! We even had a truck break our windshield 30 minutes from Spokane:( Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

akellym
After 10 miles of this we were ready to cry!

Click to view attachment
rhodyguy
How is it you wound up on a gravel road? Detour? Wa or Idaho?
Tom_T
Congratz Kelly-x-2! first.gif

It looks like you hit the summer "full repaving to base" season on either the Interstate, US or SR highway! blink.gif

So was your Lapis Blue a later color change, or a #98 or #99 special order original color? confused24.gif

PS - a 3.6 deduction total is a pretty good score too - at Parade especially - BTW!

PSS - Just noticed you are/were a Mohawk jock - OV1, correct? ... up to when were you flying them? confused24.gif confused24.gif

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
akellym
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jul 15 2017, 11:24 AM) *

How is it you wound up on a gravel road? Detour? Wa or Idaho?

Idaho it was a nice 2 lane blacktop that suddenly changed to a paint chipper. Google maps lied to us... We ran into to other long sections of road worse than this one.
akellym
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jul 15 2017, 12:24 PM) *

Congratz Kelly-x-2! first.gif

It looks like you hit the summer "full repaving to base" season on either the Interstate, US or SR highway! blink.gif

So was your Lapis Blue a later color change, or a #98 or #99 special order original color? confused24.gif

PS - a 3.6 deduction total is a pretty good score too - at Parade especially - BTW!

PSS - Just noticed you are/were a Mohawk jock - OV1, correct? ... up to when were you flying them? confused24.gif confused24.gif

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

State highway

We got the color off of a 911 was saw, so Porsche color just not original 914 color.

Considering we had to wear LED headlamps to see while we prepped the car in the underground parking garage at the hotel or sweat box might be a better name for it!

My flight in a Mohawk was in November of 1990, so its been a while sad.gif
SKL1
I think I would have had a stroke having to drive on that road! Reminds me of the Parade at Aspen (Snowmass) in '78. Pitkin County road crew decided the morning of the concours to put fresh tar on the road to the concours site!!

Word of warning- if going to the Parade next year in MO, be ready for humidity!! I think I'm still sweating from concours prep in '84 when the Parade was last there...
akellym
QUOTE(SKL1 @ Jul 15 2017, 02:06 PM) *

I think I would have had a stroke having to drive on that road! Reminds me of the Parade at Aspen (Snowmass) in '78. Pitkin County road crew decided the morning of the concours to put fresh tar on the road to the concours site!!

Word of warning- if going to the Parade next year in MO, be ready for humidity!! I think I'm still sweating from concours prep in '84 when the Parade was last there...

Yes we had to drive thru a couple of section with fresh tar and crushed granite... makes a nauseating clinking sound.

I was stationed at Fort Leonard Wood twice. The only place I've been where you can't tell if you dried off after a shower due to the fact that you sweat while toweling off!
Tom_T
QUOTE(akellym @ Jul 15 2017, 12:43 PM) *

I was stationed at Fort Leonard Wood twice. The only place I've been where you can't tell if you dried off after a shower due to the fact that you sweat while toweling off!

We've had 4 nephews at Leonard Wood, 3 + son & Benning, & son did SpecOps training in MS a couple of months ago, & they're all sweat boxes!

Son is currently at NTS Ft Irwin with his 4th Div unit for the last 4 weeks at 110-125 degrees - yeah, it's a dry heat" but doesn't matter at those temps, plus it's "Monsoon Season" here - so still more humidity than usual.

Sounds like the Spokane garage was a PITA! blink.gif

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
stevend914
QUOTE(SKL1 @ Jul 15 2017, 02:06 PM) *

I remember that road work from '78, I was there with my first 914 ('75 1.8). ...but '84 was in Wisconsin, year before was Lake of the Ozarks.
914-300Hemi
Saw your car Kelly it looked great.

Glad to hear the you made it home safely. We are leaving tomorrow morning.
Mueller
Congrats on the win, one of these days I'd like to make to a parade, even as a spectator.
Krieger
Congratulations! What a pain in the ass those extra obstacles must have been, but you did it!
rick 918-S
Not another windshield! WTF.gif WTG! first.gif
akellym
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Jul 16 2017, 05:54 AM) *

Not another windshield! WTF.gif WTG! first.gif

Apparently to win it cost 1 windshield!
ge9146
Congratulations!!! first.gif That is a lot of work. It must have been even tougher after that long gravel road.
akellym
Thanks for the congrats!

We have found that if we spend a week detailing before we leave that the car cleans up easier once we get there. Even after miles of dirt road and raining:)
Ferg
Nice job Kelly, Congrats!
Cracker
smilie_pokal.gif

Tony
Racer
QUOTE(SKL1 @ Jul 15 2017, 03:06 PM) *

lol.. I remember that as a 7 year old. My dad was not happy..

Guess google maps isn't perfect either.

Congrats to the OP for recovering from those unexpected challenges!
flat4guy
Congratulations. I saw this 914 in California Sunday, heard it was there too, won the autoX.

IPB Image
SKL1
The Ozarks will be a great location for a Parade. The roads in that area are very good- will try and plan for it as the drive from IA isn't bad either. But I'll probably take the 993 rather than the 914. Getting soft in my old age and even though not the greatest, at least it does have AC!

Yeah, I'd forgotten Appleton/ Elkhart Lake was '84 (GREAT location too!) and Tan Tara in '83...

Went to a lot more Parades back then- haven't been to one lately since Keystone in 2009...
ConeDodger
Did you replace the windshield on site? How did you get one? sad.gif Wow! Nice and congrats by the way!
akellym
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jul 18 2017, 04:38 PM) *

Did you replace the windshield on site? How did you get one? sad.gif Wow! Nice and congrats by the way!

No we couldn't find anything but Chinese glass. There's no ding in points if the damage happens en route.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.