Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 911 Front suspension is goofed help!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tazz9924
Ok so, i had a click from the front end of my car, i expected it to be the balljoints because their trash. come to find out the thing u screw in to retain the shock came off ( i did tighten the shift out of it before i installed it) and my newer koni shock has a hole rubbed in it and leaked all of its fluid. meanwhile the real killer is i cant rescrew the retainer back in because the threads on the tube thing are rubbed flat. My question is do i try to get the biggest tap ive ever seen or do i have to buy a whole new knuckle:( ?
The real killer is im moving to sacramento in two weeks and im driving the 914 down there! help!
pm me if u got a drive side 911s koni strut/ knuckle thing ur willing to sellClick to view attachment
rgalla9146
Is it actually a 911 strut ? How far apart are the caliper bolts ?
You must know this to get the matching strut. Get the retaining collar too.
If it's a 4 cyl. I think any standard strut will do.
Don't waste time trying to repair your parts.
tazz9924
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Jul 16 2017, 04:18 PM) *

Is it actually a 911 strut ? How far apart are the caliper bolts ?
You must know this to get the matching strut. Get the retaining collar too.
If it's a 4 cyl. I think any standard strut will do.
Don't waste time trying to repair your parts.

its a 1972 911 s koni strut it has 5 lugs and 3.5" caliper spacing i have the boxster caliper adapters installed
Cracker
...one of our member hoarders' in the Midwest should be able to help! biggrin.gif

T
914Sixer
Early 911 Koni Reds with 3.5 spacing are rare items. Which ball joint does it take early or late?
tazz9924
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Jul 16 2017, 05:28 PM) *

Early 911 Koni Reds with 3.5 spacing are rare items. Which ball joint does it take early or late?
i don't know what are the differences
mepstein
QUOTE(tazz9924 @ Jul 16 2017, 08:37 PM) *

Early uses a pinch bolt and has a spit collar to hold the ball joint. Late uses a cotter pin style wedge bolt and is not split.
tazz9924
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 16 2017, 06:01 PM) *

Early uses a pinch bolt and has a spit collar to hold the ball joint. Late uses a cotter pin style wedge bolt and is not split.

it isn't split its solid
rgalla9146

One version is split at the bottom with a through bolt that grips the ball joint.
The other version uses a wedge shaped threaded shaft with a nut to secure the ball joint.
Koni S struts are precious.
You're in for a hard search.
mepstein
QUOTE(tazz9924 @ Jul 16 2017, 09:04 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 16 2017, 06:01 PM) *

it isn't split its solid

Late is considered to be better. I would place a wtb on pelican. That's probably the largest pool off 911 owners. I did see someone selling just one Kony a little while ago. I don't remember what side.

Here you go - http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911...ront-strut.html

I think it's a driver side.
rgalla9146
Hold on a minute here.....
Please post a picture of the retainer that goes into that strut.
Original Konis are not insert struts. They are serviceable units.
Are there Koni markings on the strut ?
I can attach a pic if necessary.
Cracker
...or does it say BOGE??? Scratch that - my retaining nut threads are on the outside. Darn.

Tony

PS: Sorry that happened to you! I hope the move goes well despite these hassles!!! beerchug.gif
tazz9924
QUOTE(Cracker @ Jul 16 2017, 06:32 PM) *

...or does it say BOGE???

Tony

PS: Sorry that happened - that sucks!

From what i remember it say koni heavy steering or something like that
mepstein
QUOTE(Cracker @ Jul 16 2017, 09:32 PM) *

Tony

If it's a Boge, I probably have one.
tazz9924
this is a photo of it when installedClick to view attachment
rgalla9146
QUOTE(tazz9924 @ Jul 16 2017, 09:35 PM) *

Tony

The stamped 'heavy turn' has an arrow that indicates the direction to turn the shaft to
set the strut to a heavier 'feel'
The other direction would be a 'softer' setting.
I'm pretty sure your strut is a Koni brand replacement. It will accept Boge, Bilstein or Koni inserts. You did say that your insert was loose ...right ?
Konis as original optional equipment on a 911 would have the Porsche symbol and a Porsche part number stamped in.
901 341 079 10
tazz9924
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Jul 16 2017, 06:57 PM) *

QUOTE(tazz9924 @ Jul 16 2017, 09:35 PM) *

Tony

The stamped 'heavy turn' has an arrow that indicates the direction to turn the shaft to
set the strut to a heavier 'feel'
The other direction would be a 'softer' setting.
I'm pretty sure your strut is a Koni brand replacement. It will accept Boge, Bilstein or Koni inserts. You did say that your insert was loose ...right ?
Konis as original optional equipment on a 911 would have the Porsche symbol and a Porsche part number stamped in.
901 341 079 10

Insert fit perfect, the piece that keeps the strut in place got loose and funked it all up
Cracker
This may not be an option or good idea for you but...I have a GREAT machine shop that can fix most anything. Do you have access to one in your area? A good shop could make a new retaining nut modified to accommodate the repair. The strut tube could be cut lower (shortened) if necessary if the threads couldn't be straightened near the top. Again, maybe not a real solution but it got me thinking.

T
tazz9924
QUOTE(Cracker @ Jul 16 2017, 07:46 PM) *

This may not be an option or good idea for you but...I have a GREAT machine shop that can fix most anything. Do you have access to one in your area? A good shop could make a new retaining nut modified to accommodate the repair. The strut tube could be cut lower (shortened) if necessary if the threads couldn't be straightened near the top. Again, maybe not a real solution but it got me thinking.

T

i was thinking about it... shortening the tube isn't really a great idea but rethreading it certainly is
tazz9924
suspension is part number 911 341 079 10
says made by koni and has their little triangle emblem it also says heavy turn and presumably heavy turn in german no other markings that i can see
rgalla9146
Find a bent or damaged strut, have a machine shop cut the top off and graft it onto yours

so
tazz9924
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Jul 16 2017, 08:33 PM) *

Find a bent or damaged strut, have a machine shop cut the top off and graft it onto yours

so
l

Anyone got one?
brant
Right or left?
tazz9924
QUOTE(brant @ Jul 16 2017, 09:07 PM) *

Right or left?

driver
bdstone914
Cutting it shorter is not an option. The strut insert goes all the way to the bottom. The strut would stick out the top.
Last single Koni I have like that sold for $350.
Koni and Boge strut tops take the same thread. I would graft on a Boge top to the Koni. You can use a 914 strut. I have a bunch. For $20 I will cut off the top and mail it. Get a good welder to weld on the top section.
Bruce
tazz9924
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Jul 16 2017, 10:53 PM) *

Cutting it shorter is not an option. The strut insert goes all the way to the bottom. The strut would stick out the top.
Last single Koni I have like that sold for $350.
Koni and Boge strut tops take the same thread. I would graft on a Boge top to the Koni. You can use a 914 strut. I have a bunch. For $20 I will cut off the top and mail it. Get a good welder to weld on the top section.
Bruce

i have a 914 strut but it wasn't the same size
Cracker
It sounds like a much better (and cheaper solution)...grafting two together. Just to clarify my suggestion though; the small amount of thread cut-off or shortened would be made up by a custom retaining nut up top. I was not just suggesting ignoring the difference... biggrin.gif

Tazz - do what they say - much, much easier! One issue is my BOGE struts have the threads on the OUTSIDE of the tube. Get the correct one...

T

QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Jul 17 2017, 01:53 AM) *

Cutting it shorter is not an option.
Bruce
tazz9924
QUOTE(Cracker @ Jul 16 2017, 07:46 PM) *

T

Took it to my machinest today, he said he can and will do it, he's cutting off the top and welding on a new bit with new threads! Weight taken off my shoulders!
Krieger
Hooray! beerchug.gif
Cracker
QUOTE(Krieger @ Jul 17 2017, 08:47 PM) *

Hooray! beerchug.gif

agree.gif
tazz9924
QUOTE(Cracker @ Jul 17 2017, 06:33 PM) *

QUOTE(Krieger @ Jul 17 2017, 08:47 PM) *

Hooray! beerchug.gif

agree.gif

Its alot of weight off my shoulders, its awesome having a great machinest piratenanner.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.