Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 120mph vs 150 mph speedo
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
racejoe
OK, my 914 has a 150 mph 1974 gauge. I have a 120 mph gauge from a 72 parts car that is in much better shape. Can I just swap the gauges?
mihai914
Most likely yes, transmission gears were the same, angle drive was the same all over the years and tires were almost the same diameter (1.7 vs. 2.0). Only downfall I see is that when you reach 140 MPH you won't be able to tell laugh.gif

Mihai
GaroldShaffer
Yes you can. Remove you steering wheel (give yourself more room) slide your hand under the dash and push the speedo out, disconnect the speedo cable, pull the light bulbs from the gauage. To install the 120 mph just do it in reverse.
GaroldShaffer
oops, forgot about the trip odometer reset button also.
racejoe
Thanks! Oh yeah, the whole gauge panels are out of both cars, so it is pretty straight forward to swap them.

Maybe the big grin on my face will tell me when I get to 140 mph? biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Oh, and the 120 mph gauge has a functional trip reset, the 150 mph does not. Seems I remember coming across a gauge rebuilding article a few years ago, anyone remember where I might find that? Mostly would be looking to freshen up the faces.
racejoe
Nevermind on the article, just found it!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.