Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 stock stub axle - dimension?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jimkelly
anyone have a 914 stub axle laying around?

i was wondering what the OD is of the splined area.

i'm thinking of using a second stub axle bolted to main stub axle and having the second splined to fit this vw splined flange that is type1 to type2/4 (924/944 100mm cv), for wheel side.

or simply turn down the stub axle so the flange can simply be welded to it. this would make the trans side and wheel side easy, but simply needing welding, after cutting and lathing.

pair of 924 axles $150 DTA brand on ebay.

4 flanges $35 x 4ea = $140

924 axles are 16.125" AND 944 AXLES ARE ?"

http://www.blindchickenracing.com/how_to/c...s/axles_101.htm
Phoenix-MN
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Jul 17 2017, 09:38 AM) *

anyone have a 914 stub axle laying around?

i was wondering what the OD is of the splined area.

i'm thinking of using a second stub axle bolted to main stub axle and having the second splined to fit this vw splined flange that is type1 to type2/4 (924/944 100mm cv), for wheel side.

30mm 37 spline, ya doing something like this?

Click to view attachment
jimkelly
that is exactly what i was thinking smile.gif

is yours a 108mm flange or 100mm?

my flange has a 26mm ID where the splines are.
Phoenix-MN
108mm
jimkelly
thanks again beerchug.gif
Phoenix-MN
QUOTE(Phoenix-MN @ Jul 17 2017, 10:15 AM) *

108mm

A little different application but here's how I'm using one

Click to view attachment
jimkelly
for ONE SECOND i thought i was the most ingenious mother fucker around. well, it felt good while it lasted biggrin.gif
Phoenix-MN
" Great minds think alike "
jimkelly
i assume a stub axle can be turned on a lathe?

or are they TOO HARD?

Phoenix-MN
I took a file to the splines and they seem to cut pretty easy
jimkelly
my thought is that with everyone saying that when cutting and resplining a stock 914 axle to use with a suby cv at trans and 914 cv at wheel, that there is practically no margin for error on length, that two flanges and a 924 or 944 axle assy has got to be more forgiving, and stronger too.

are you bolting the two stub axles together or welding them together? is your flange attached using the splines or is your flange going to be welded to the innermost stub axle?

i am leaning towards welding it all together.
Phoenix-MN
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Jul 17 2017, 12:59 PM) *

my thought is that with everyone saying that when cutting and resplining a stock 914 axle to use with a suby cv at trans and 914 cv at wheel, that there is practically no margin for error on length, that two flanges and a 924 or 944 axle assy has got to be more forgiving, and stronger too.

are you bolting the two stub axles together or welding them together? is your flange attached using the splines or is your flange going to be welded to the innermost stub axle?

i am leaning towards welding it all together.

my plan is to bolt them together using the two 10mm roll pins, the flange will be attached using the splines with a washer and snap ring. I'll be cutting the threaded end of the stub axle off.

Click to view attachment
Andyrew
That seams like WAY to much work. To many fail points IMHO If your going through all that work why not just mill up some adapters?

The way I have mine setup is 100mm adapters on the wheel side stub, VW Bus (100mm) axles, commonly used up to 500hp, then 100mm stub axle in the trani. Bolts right in on my setup (Because I centered the trani) I dont even have to have custom axle shaft lengths. Just right out of the box axles.
Olympic 914
I am not an engineer but wouldn't moving the CV joint in that far increase the angle it has to work at?

Or is it still within its operating range. I had heard of people blowing CV joints coming hard out of a parking lot and such.

confused24.gif
jimkelly
andyrew, did you mill the wheel side adaptors? or does someone sell them for 100mm cvs?

and yes, i am a little concerned with using 924 axles that are only 16-1/8" length vs 944 which i think are about 2" longer.

914 axles are 21.25" long i think.
Andyrew
Renegade Hybrids "500HP" axle conversion is billet aluminum adapters on both sides with VW Bus axles. I bought them from a member used and only used one side the adapter. I have the others attached to two spare CV's I bought for $80ea with some spare 914 stub axles. I doubt I'll ever need them but if I ever break one I can swap it in in 20 mins.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.