Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Detailed Dimensioning of 914 Door handles
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bd1308
if you all get me a detailed dimensions of the door handles, i can draw it out on solidworks and have it sent out to be built.
Mueller
just measure one and draw it up to get some qoutes, this way you'll know if it's worth it to have them made.....if the price is decent, then worry about getting the dimensions dead-nut accurate....(I can throw one on my buddies CMM if it was really needed)

if you are thinking billet, it'll be a pricey part since 3d milling is time-consuming

doesn't AA have them in stock at okay prices????

skline
Where do you come up with these ideas? Next thing you will be wanting to manufacture the whole car from scratch. confused24.gif
SpecialK
QUOTE (skline @ May 15 2005, 10:10 PM)
Where do you come up with these ideas? Next thing you will be wanting to manufacture the whole car from scratch. confused24.gif

I believe Britt's going to school to be an ME, and can kill two birds with one stone here.....completing a CAD class requirement, and finding a means to pay for future classes. Pretty smart actually!

Total assumption on my part, but I'll be a billet handle would hold up waaaaay better to daily abuses, than the stock cast one..........and look cooler in the process.

I could take a mic and calipers to one if you want Britt.
ChrisFoley
The repro levers that AA has are generic, ie. they fit left or right. The oems are side specific and much better IMO. Unfortunately I'm pretty sure they are NLA.
URY914
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act=...=ST&f=4&t=10309

Why don't you just fix the broken ones?

Paul biggrin.gif
skline
QUOTE (URY914 @ May 16 2005, 06:32 AM)
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act=...=ST&f=4&t=10309

Why don't you just fix the broken ones?

Paul biggrin.gif

Rather than to reinvent the wheel. I dont think you could make the whole door handle from billet. It would be too thin and would not really last any longer. JMO
bd1308
Kevin, yoy get what I'm trying to do. I've seen 6061 Aluminum take abuse much MUCH better than the pot metal crap that is on the 914. I hate cringing everytime someone DOESNT put thier thumb over the keyhole when opening the door....The part is NOT THAT hard to manufacture, and i KNOW/BELIEVE that a manufactured part would be much better than what is around now. Scott, isn't that what people are doing now anyway? I mean look at morphenspectra, THEY thought the 3 1/2x5 index card sized speaker enclosures were'nt enough, so they manufactured a new part....looks pretty damn good too....I can get 6061 for free to make some handles, i believe 6061 is strong enough for the task, we're only opening doors here...
Mueller
just take a handle to the machine shop you have in mind and ask, sometimes a physical part is better to get pricing on than a drawing...the material is not the expensive part, there is about 2 to 3 bucks in aluminum per handle.........

if you can prove that this item has potential, the machine shop might be willing to help reverse engineer the part for you....

what about the finish?

andodize, chrome plating or what??

that also can quickly add up to the cost of the part....

URY914
If you were to make a new billet piece, I'd beef up the mounting tab anyway. Also beef up the level/flapper piece. I've got a couple of broken ones on my work bench now that I'm fixing.

Paul
anthony
QUOTE (Racer Chris @ May 16 2005, 04:01 AM)
The oems are side specific and much better IMO. Unfortunately I'm pretty sure they are NLA.

$200/each at Pelican.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.