Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Patrick Motorsport Fuel Cell report ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
9146R
Looking for feedback from anyone who has had one of these conversions done by Patrick Motorsports vs replacing tank with cell located down in the spare tire area. Thanks. confused24.gif
campbellcj
I have the Patrick / Fuel Safe cell in a converted stock tank, and although $$$$ it is a very nicely done unit. I went this route because I have a very large oil cooler shroud in the trunk floor and also some vintage race orgs are fairly tight about relocating the fuel tank very far from its stock location and/or with a different (or no) bulkhead arrangement. It was not a lot more money, and available much quicker than a custom cell built for the 914 -- although definitely a lot more spendy than a generic "box" cell.

Also I know customer service opinions about Patrick have varied a bit, but FWIW I received very friendly treatment on the phone and received the tank in 2 days despite UPS Ground shipping -- they shipped it the same day it was ordered.

Cheers,
Joe Bob
How much was it? I am looking at a cell for Manfred. I can always take the "PMS" logos off right?
xitspd
I have the Patrick Motorsports fuel cell that fits in the stock 914 can. I am very happy with the product and service. About $1500.00. The car retains good balance with the fuel in the stock location. cool.gif
Joe Bob
1500???? Geez, does it sleep with ya and do the dishes?

Ouch...

Anyone else make a 914 stock location cell?
Marv's3.6six
Not that I've found and I have been looking!

The Patrick cell is actually made by Fuel Safe from a donor 914 tank.
slivel
I went directly to Fuel Safe to have mine converted.
slivel
One more.
d914
and ????? $$$$$

the patrick one is up to $1900.00
Joe Bob
QUOTE (slivel @ May 16 2005, 06:03 AM)
I went directly to Fuel Safe to have mine converted.

OK...how much?
Joe Bob
Just emailed Fuel Safe...asked if there was a multi purchase discount....
slivel
Had it done about 3 years ago and buried the receipts so deep that I can't find them. Wouldn't want prying eyes to see what this obsession is costing. Also I don't want to be reminded myself. If I recall the cost was somewhere between 1200 and 1500.
Mueller
Does anyone know if these have bladder tanks inside? and if so, do they have a limited life?

I had read in one of the Vintage Racing mags about a 5 year time frame for the bladder type tanks.

xitspd
Picture attached...
Joe Bob
Looks like Fuel Safe and ATL is about all there is for 914s...based on my limited research.

I just can't seem to reach for my wallet for something that says Patrick on it....

I have a call in to ATL....see if they wanna do a 914 tank. They website only has the generic trunk floor one...
sixnotfour
FuelSafe has been bought by a Big Brother , So they have a corporate mantality .
they told me 6 months ago the bladder alone 1200.00
standard custom bladder price.I know they have been making them for years. they also recomeneed to by it from Patrick, he does the outer case mod. himself and has it powder coated.
I have one also and he does a great job ,cutting weldeing tabs on, powdercoat,assembly.
The generic square box is way more economical. Maybe Patrick would do a group buy , he already has the in. Good Luck
maybe Z could could rebuild his relationship with Patrick

Mueller
maybe Z could could rebuild his relationship with Patrick

I doubt it...I don't know anyone to hold a grudge as long as Mikey does biggrin.gif laugh.gif
Joe Bob
Local guy ....DeNunzio Racing here in Goleta is a Fuel Safe Dist....he's asking them if they would do a deal.

As to Patrick....can't rebuild a relationship that never started. Too many 914 parts sellers and wrenches out there to have to deal with an asshole.

I R one, so I should know...at least "I" admit it.... cool_shades.gif
campbellcj
I talked to Fuel Safe at the time I was lookin' (> a year ago) and they said roughly 1200 to convert my tank...plus a multi-week wait and shipping was on me; or same-same around 1100-1300 to fab a custom box based on 914 tank specs and install bladder, AN fittings etc. (Our very own Howard of WCC fame has one in his 914-V8).

I was in a rush to make some track events so saving a couple bones but having to pull my old tank, clean/dry/pack/ship it and then wait a few weeks was not an attractive option.

The only "cheap" solution is a (relatively) "cheap" rectangular cell, like the Jaz or Summit ones, mounted on the front floor. Whether those are good quality and/or sanctioning-body approved, I dunno.

Also BTW whichever way you go, figure more dough for new fuel lines etc. which aren't cheap if you go the AN-6 (or AN-8) braided route which might also lead to a new pump, filters, regulator, carb fittings...
9146R
Great feedback...wow. You guys are great resource....thanks. Not sure yet, but I will stay tuned to any feedback on a "group price". That for sure will seal the deal for me if we can get a discount. Thanks to all ! smile.gif
J P Stein
That's a real nice tank & all, but.....lemme interject a couple thoughts.

Your average sprint race is 30 minutes.....say at 100 mph average. 50 miles, right? How much gas do you need plus a reserve gallon or 2, 8 ?10 maybe? Looking at the front trunk, it seems there's lotso room to do about what you want and have the fuel down lower than the stock tank. Do you need
to spend 15-1900 bucks?

This is not a fuel cell, but a tank. It holds 5 gallons. I could have put it lower, but I'd have had to re do oil lines. It is also in the heat flow from the cooler....which I could fix if it were important to me. It's a compromise.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.