Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wheel Polishing Rig - Ghetto Style
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
yeahmag
This was just to be a proof of concept, but it seems to work well enough as is to get through 12 rims. That being said, if anyone has an 5 lug upright and hub just sitting around I could borrow, I'd take gladly take it!

HF Bench Grinder with Kustom PVC pulley
HF 8 inch wheel to act as the hub
Bicycle inner tube for a belt
5/8" all thread for a spindle
3" wood screws for added hilarity

Click to view attachment
yeahmag
Click to view attachment
Elliot Cannon
Brilliant! But wait, don't you work at JPL? biggrin.gif
yeahmag
Caltech, but who's counting. I think if I was on the other side of the screen I'd think myself nuts.
Spoke
Cool. This rig could also be used to check the rims for dents and other abnormalities.
yeahmag
Let's see if I can ruin that guys computer again...

Notice the 3/16" or so of run out. This is what happens when you build a 5x130 hub out of a wagon wheel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gl6JcbQZRQY
11tenths
So jack the front of your car up, remove the wheel, put on the one you want to polish w/ your rig sitting on the floor below it= VIOLA!

piratenanner.gif

-Harry
LowBridge
calling it now...second video of the damage caused when the wheel breaks free beerchug.gif av-943.gif
Elliot Cannon
I would like to polish the propeller hub on my 150. someone suggested I do it with the engine running. av-943.gif I declined their suggestion quite quickly. lol-2.gif
yeahmag
Elliot,

I would be happy to let you use my top of the line polishing system for the hub. If you want to build one yourself, my licensing fees are very reasonable.
Dave_Darling
Someone either here or on FB posted a pic of a wheel polishing rig that involved putting the car into gear with one corner up in the air and the motor running. I think that counts as more ghetto due to the greater potential for damage if the whole car moves than if just the wheel/hub does...

--DD
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(yeahmag @ Jul 19 2017, 01:38 PM) *

Elliot,

I would be happy to let you use my top of the line polishing system for the hub. If you want to build one yourself, my licensing fees are very reasonable.

Thanks. Maybe I'll just polish it with the engine running. av-943.gif
McMark
Now add an adjustable, spring-loaded arm to hold the sandpaper for you. Then you can just let it run while you drink coffee.
yeahmag
I specialize in automating tasks for Caltech in the realm of IT. You are TOTALLY speaking my language now.
yeahmag
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jul 19 2017, 01:40 PM) *

Someone either here or on FB posted a pic of a wheel polishing rig that involved putting the car into gear with one corner up in the air and the motor running. I think that counts as more ghetto due to the greater potential for damage if the whole car moves than if just the wheel/hub does...

--DD

That was me... I wanted to be able to do it at night, under a canopy, and have it be quieter.

Click to view attachment
porschetub
QUOTE(LowBridge @ Jul 20 2017, 07:03 AM) *

calling it now...second video of the damage caused when the wheel breaks free beerchug.gif av-943.gif

Excellent reply,not sure why its needs to go that fast,inner tube av-943.gif av-943.gif ,use a flat ribbed altenator belt that would last better,to the OP glad my computer issues have made some entertainment for you.....
yeahmag
We spent some time in Adobe Illustrator, made a template and then redrilled. We also used some of the wheel weights we use for the karts to statically balance the hub. The shakes are gone and I'm on my way.
yeahmag

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otjqo62M4Lk
burton73
Not a bad idea but your back is going to hurt when you are 60.
Bowling Ball Refinishers make $38,000. Per year! Where a dust mask and wear eye protection.

Bob B
whitetwinturbo
Looks more MIT than CalTech..... happy11.gif
Elliot Cannon
I used to get the magazine from M.I.T. I remember it had really cool pictures. av-943.gif
yeahmag
QUOTE(whitetwinturbo @ Jul 19 2017, 10:21 PM) *

Looks more MIT than CalTech..... happy11.gif

Funny you say that. I was at the Artificial Lab at MIT before Caltech.
Blue6
Man that's a beautiful dog
yeahmag
QUOTE(Blue6 @ Jul 19 2017, 10:48 PM) *

Man that's a beautiful dog

She's a good girl. Shepherd Husky mix rescue.
Elliot Cannon
Is that the same monster that wanted to chew my leg off when I dropped off a part at your place. laugh.gif
yeahmag
I'd guess so. I have two rescues, both the same mix. I did give them your scent to key off of before you came over.
rothaus
This is what I use.

IPB Image

Made from an old 944 rear arm.

Cheers
Engelbert
yeahmag
Click to view attachment
yeahmag
Click to view attachment
maf914
Not bad. Not bad at all! I like the satin finish on both the black wheel center and the polished alloy wheel rim.
yeahmag
Satin clear coat is on. Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.