Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: is there a BEST raddle can primer
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
flmont
I am about to get my engine bay blasted with the dustless blasting system on Saturday,.and of course want to primer it fairly quick,..do they make a good raddle can primer or should I go with a primer I need to mix and spray , ?? Thanks Frank

solex
I have used VHT Self Etching Primer with excellent results on aluminum rims.

https://www.amazon.com/VHT-SP307-Performanc...r/dp/B003BGYRPO
Tom_T
I would say to use Wurth or Eastwood High Zinc content weld thru primer in cans to give the benefits which a zinc hot dip would've done if they did that back at the factory (never on 914s, but 76> they did for the other P-cars).

I think that whenever you're ready to paint, then you can prime with a 2-part epoxy primer/etc. over it, but the zinc primer will protect the bare metal.

I've used the Wurth one on all of the body & part surfaces on my 73, as I've gone thru & wire wheeled off the surface rust areas, to "freeze" any further damage.

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
dlee6204
There's no way I would spend the time and money to have my car blasted only to cover it up with a rattle can primer.

Two part primer is the way to go.
mgphoto
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jul 19 2017, 02:29 PM) *

I would say to use Wurth or Eastwood High Zinc content weld thru primer in cans to give the benefits which a zinc hot dip would've done if they did that back at the factory (never on 914s, but 76> they did for the other P-cars).

I think that whenever you're ready to paint, then you can prime with a 2-part epoxy primer/etc. over it, but the zinc primer will protect the bare metal.

I've used the Wurth one on all of the body & part surfaces on my 73, as I've gone thru & wire wheeled off the surface rust areas, to "freeze" any further damage.

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

What ever you do don't use weld thru primer as a base, it doesn't have any binders in it, once dry you can remove it by wiping with paint thinner.
Best to use a epoxy 2 part Southern polyurethanes hot rodders love the stuff, me too.
flmont
Yea,..I know, But its humid here in Tucson,..( monsoon season)and I don't want surface rust.so I thought if I could find a good primer in a spray bomb why not whats the diffrence are they not mixed the same as the 2 part product..
flmont
Yea its no problem to stop at the paint store,.and Iam sure that is the smartest thing to do,..Thanks
mzalanka
100% do 2-part epoxy.

You can get it in a rattle can, with the little button on the bottom to activate.
Costa05
QUOTE(flmont @ Jul 19 2017, 06:04 PM) *

Yea its no problem to stop at the paint store,.and Iam sure that is the smartest thing to do,..Thanks

I have been shooting two or three coats of Matrix Epoxy Primer as my base over sanded prepped surface or bare metal. Even shot it over areas that I did rust conversion on. Does not come in a rattle can but is fairly easy to spray with inexpensive spray settup and just like all paints wear a good mask as it is very toxic to breath. You should let it dry for several days too so all the solvents can release.
flmont
100% do 2-part epoxy.

You can get it in a rattle can, with the little button on the bottom to activate.

where would you get such a product ,auto paint store
flmont
wish I knew how to use the quote button
dlee6204
QUOTE(flmont @ Jul 19 2017, 07:35 PM) *

100% do 2-part epoxy.

Eastwood...

http://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-s-2k-aero...gray-black.html
mgphoto
QUOTE(flmont @ Jul 19 2017, 04:35 PM) *

100% do 2-part epoxy.

I believe Eastwood has it online.
flmont
isn't that the damnedest thing, Thanks !!
burton73
I used some DuPont Epoxy in rattle can. Get 6 at a time in tall cans at Auto Paint store. Price is not bad.

Bob B
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.