Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Standalone Gas Gauge
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mmascari
Can someone recommend a small standalone gas gauge that is compatible with the stock fuel sender. I am doing a six conversion and replacing the left gauge with a 911 style oil pressure/temp gauge.
Montreal914
I have been successfully using a 2 1/16" VDO gauge that I got on the samba for 10$, took a guess and got lucky rolleyes.gif .

That being said, here is the info you want as far as the sender which is what you need to rely on when getting your new gauge;

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...p;hl=fuel+gauge

Good luck and let us know where you intend to install it. I have mine in the center console and have used electric tape to build up the diameter to fit the rubber sleeve.
Steve
I got mine from our favorite vendor AutoAtlanta worked great for years until I replaced it with a 904 style gauge from John in the members vendors section.
Montreal914
Here's the result...

Click to view attachment
Larmo63
This is the one I'm looking for....

Click to view attachment
defianty
The compatible VDO gauge is 301-010-007K. They're made for the dip style sender units as in the 914. Once fitted they can be calibrated.
defianty
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Jul 20 2017, 06:20 AM) *

This is the one I'm looking for....

Click to view attachment

I was looking for one of those for a while too but the price tag of $500 put me off.

If you've the patience you can make your own like I did, for less that $100.

Taking one of these...
IPB Image

And one of these...
IPB Image

Add many hours of frustration biggrin.gif
And you get one of these...
IPB Image

Krieger
I bought a new 2 1/16" VDO sender that was calibrated for our senders from North Hollywood Speedo.
porschetub
Running stock 52mm VDO in my dash,works great with stock sender,I have tested it for accuracy and its pretty much spot on with a measured amount of fuel.
Larmo63
I decided to leave the /6 gauge alone and just put the oil pressure gauge here.

Click to view attachment
mmascari
Thanks all. I will keep an eye out for a VDO and call North Hollywood Speedo to see what they offer. Still not sure where to mount it. I don't have a center console and don't plan on installing one. Somewhere on the dash I suppose.
GeorgeRud
VDO makes (made?) the gas gauge in two different configurations, one going from 0-90 ohms, and one from 90-0 ohms. I don't remember which I bought many years ago, but it fits very nicely along with a voltmeter with a rubber VDO mounting bracket in the stock ashtray location.Click to view attachment
Krieger
I took out my cigarette lighter and enlarged the hole.
Montreal914
Or another option would be to have NH do this kind of mod/integration in the tach.

This one is obviously for a different purpose and I feel the lower gauge is too busy (too fine of a scale) but with the classic fuel gauge type of look (1/4 scale). Its all about the silver dot...

Click to view attachment

Or maybe this if there is enough room inside?

Click to view attachment
mepstein
QUOTE(Montreal914 @ Jul 21 2017, 10:41 AM) *

Or another option would be to have NH do this kind of mod/integration in the tach.

This one is obviously for a different purpose and I feel the lower gauge is too busy (too fine of a scale) but with the classic fuel gauge type of look (1/4 scale). Its all about the silver dot...

Or maybe this if there is enough room inside?

Click to view attachment

Start with a turbo tach. Remove the boost gauge and replace with a gas gauge.
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(mmascari @ Jul 20 2017, 02:53 PM) *

Thanks all. I will keep an eye out for a VDO and call North Hollywood Speedo to see what they offer. Still not sure where to mount it.

The ashtray-replacement setup pictured earlier works well. You can put it in the dash, angled as in the earlier pics or not. There are also holders that mount under the dash for two or three gauges (not sure about singles).

--DD
914forme
Radio plate replacement is a nod to some of the factory GT cars that did that. Many moons ago I had one when I had a running -4. That coming from the guy that sold the 904 gauge kits.

Now I am going back to a 904, for my -6, the EG swap car gets a quad from Speedhut I had plans to do a quad using a 924 combo gauge and VDO internals, but it became a time versus results thing.

I also thought about running a 930 tach, and doing the same thing and using a 904 in the EG swap. I even asked Speedhut to place a boost gauge into one of their tachs. No can do confused24.gif as I am in the market for one happy11.gif
SO.O.C914er
High jack...How much should I be paying north Hollywood gauge for rebuilding my gas and tach gauges I need some input please....thanks Paul headbang.gif
914forme
Just call them confused24.gif I would guess though between $$$ and $$$$
mmascari
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Jul 20 2017, 07:48 PM) *

VDO makes (made?) the gas gauge in two different configurations, one going from 0-90 ohms, and one from 90-0 ohms. I don't remember which I bought many years ago, but it fits very nicely along with a voltmeter with a rubber VDO mounting bracket in the stock ashtray location.Click to view attachment

Where does one purchase the ashtray gauge holder?
76-914
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Jul 20 2017, 02:25 PM) *

I decided to leave the /6 gauge alone and just put the oil pressure gauge here.

Click to view attachment

That should make it go faster. beer.gif
SO.O.C914er
Hollywood gauge did quote me a price but it scared me. I was wondering what some of you people have paid? Before I throw my wallet at them lol-2.gif .....thanks Paul.
mepstein
QUOTE(SO.O.C914er @ Jul 22 2017, 01:00 PM) *

Hollywood gauge did quote me a price but it scared me. I was wondering what some of you people have paid? Before I throw my wallet at them lol-2.gif .....thanks Paul.

I would contact Tim - timothy_nd28 on this board.
He can't do as much as some of the gauge companies but what he can do is excellent and reasonable.
Larmo63
Ralph at North Hollywood quoted me around $400.00 for a replica GT silver dot gas gauge with reserve feature.

Yikes.
defianty
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Jul 22 2017, 07:39 PM) *

Ralph at North Hollywood quoted me around $400.00 for a replica GT silver dot gas gauge with reserve feature.

Yikes.

And there's the incentive to make your own, it was all I needed. laugh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.