Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help Me Pick a Color
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
aggiezig
I've long been torn between repainting the original Malaga Red the car came in or trying out a blue. The two blues that come to mind are Mexico Blue and Adriatic Blue. I think I seriously love all three colors equally, for different reasons.

The car will have black vinyl sail panels, a black targa top, and black ABS molded rocker covers. I am planning on running 2.0L Fuchs with the centers painted black.

I picked up samples of all three colors today and sprayed some test swatches on a spare hood that I had. Ignore the paint quality please, this was a quick throw up job.

From left to right: Malaga Red, Mexico Blue, Adriatic Blue. What gets your vote?

IPB Image

IPB Image

Lastly, yes I know this is my car and I should paint it how I want. The thing is I am absolutely divided between the three colors... I'm looking for some outside opinions idea.gif
Rand
You want someone else to tell you what you want? Black!

I know that's no help, but since you are asking for opinions, I wouldn't choose any of those. Or you could do a 3-tone. Harf. You already know you answered your own question. Anyone else's opinion is just noise.

Black.
914_7T3
Mexico Blue
Front yard mechanic
Malaga so I can see what mine will look like
Larmo63
Malaga Red, and DON'T paint the centers on the 4 lug Fuchs barf.gif

If you are going to do a complete strip and re-spray, meaning EVERYTHING, then do what color you like..

There's nothing worse than a color change not done 100% correctly.
aggiezig
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Jul 19 2017, 10:18 PM) *

If you are going to do a complete strip and re-spray, meaning EVERYTHING, then do what color you like..

Agree, car is being taken down to bare metal so it will be a good platform for any color.
Ferg
QUOTE(aggiezig @ Jul 19 2017, 07:26 PM) *

Agree, car is being taken down to bare metal so it will be a good platform for any color.

I understand that reasoning but be prepared for a 20 percent hit on resale if that matters to you.
aggiezig
QUOTE(Ferg @ Jul 19 2017, 10:36 PM) *

I understand that reasoning but be prepared for a 20 percent hit on resale if that matters to you.

I think by shaving the side markers, antenna hole, back-dating the bumper, ditching fuel injection and upping the engine bore I'm probably already losing the originality $$$. Honestly, I'm looking to hold on to this one as long as I can.
Ferg
QUOTE(aggiezig @ Jul 19 2017, 07:39 PM) *

I think by shaving the side markers, antenna hole, back-dating the bumper, ditching fuel injection and upping the engine bore I'm probably already losing the originality $$$. Honestly, I'm looking to hold on to this one as long as I can.

beerchug.gif I still voted Malaga it's a great color
Firstcar
I agree all three colors are great. You want something really unique? Paint the left side Malaga Red; the passenger side Adriatic Blue; and a Mexico Blue stripe down the middle the length of the car with thin white stripes separating the three colors on the trunk lids!
burton73
I do not know if you care but as our cars are bringing some real money and if you are doing a super restoration than it has the possibility of becoming very high value car in the future. In that case Ferg is right on the 20% less for non-original color delivered per your VIN. Look at 911T 70-73

If you are just doing a so so restoration. Then it probably will not matter.

Bob B

Larmo63
My favorite color on a 914 is probably Adriatic Blue, so since you're doing a complete strip, go AB.

In a few years, self driving cars will supersede all of our stuff, and these cars will probably be outlawed, crushed, and/or taxed into oblivion.

Do what makes you happy.
barefoot
Here's a sample in Malaga:

Click to view attachment
BeatNavy
I'm biased against Malaga Red as my current project car had a pretty lousy color change to that (from original ivory white). The whole body / paint job was pretty lousy, and with all the rust repair I've done on it I can't stand that color at this point.

When talking about non-original colors, Mexico Blue is something I've considered as well. Definitely catches my eye whenever I see a Porsche in Mexico Blue.

Good luck. This part is fun after all the hard work beer.gif
brownaar
My dad had an Adriatic blue six back in the day.( Why did he have to sell it?!?!?!?!) It's always been my favorite color on a 914. Having said that, if everything else is staying fairly stock/original, I would stick to the original color to preserve value.
My 914
The Mexico Blue strikes me as cool, 70's color that will get a lot of attention.
mbseto
I'm with Firstcar - do the whole thing like that hood!

If you don't want to be that "out there", my vote is AB.
Sedonut
For resale, original color without question. Everything gets sold eventually.

If the original color is one of your three choices, go for that. My .02
bretth
I am a fan of restoring to original colors but I am bored with all the red 914 cars that I see (mine is a poor quality Palma Green respray). Actually I have 3 red non Porsche cars at my house (just worked out that way) which is why I am probably bored with red. So pick what you like.
SKL1
My spyder is Mexico blue so obviously I like that colour, but adriatic blue is nice too and an appropriate colour on the 914 from that era...Click to view attachment
76-914
There is only one color that matters in the Texas Heat; white! Since white isn't on your list pick whichever is the coolest one to the touch. beerchug.gif
N_Jay
QUOTE(aggiezig @ Jul 19 2017, 10:26 PM) *

I have heard from a BMW friend that Malaga Red is a good primer because of the amount of metal oxides in the pigment, so for portions of the car where the paint is good, you might not want to go sand all the way to bare metal.
kgruen2
I don't like red, but I'm with the crowd that says original is best. Mine is white because it is cool to the touch in the summer heat. I'm partial to blue, therefore I vote for Mexico blue. icon_bump.gif
N_Jay
QUOTE(kgruen2 @ Jul 20 2017, 03:16 PM) *

I don't like red, but I'm with the crowd that says original is best. Mine is white because it is cool to the touch in the summer heat. I'm partial to blue, therefore I vote for Mexico blue. icon_bump.gif

If you like original and like Mexico blue, why not the original Olympic Blue?
banananose914
Adriatic blue. It's correct for the era and you don't see many/any 914s on the road with that color.
boxsterfan
Aubergine!! Or paint it ivory white with blue accents like an LE to make a "Blaucicle".
Porschef
I like Margueritas and tacos.
PanelBilly
White and then put a wrap on it
rmital
Malaga red...always Malaga red flag.gif
green ernie
QUOTE(aggiezig @ Jul 20 2017, 04:39 AM) *

Did all those to mine and then went with the original Palma Metallic Green smile.gif Click to view attachment
aggiezig
QUOTE(green ernie @ Jul 21 2017, 08:55 AM) *

Did all those to mine and then went with the original Palma Metallic Green smile.gif Click to view attachment

That is one nice color and paint job. Love it with the fuchs too. Nice!
My 914
agree.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.