Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gearbox / Shifter Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
AndyC
There I was happily laying under the car disconnecting my shift linkage so I had to remove the dust cover where the linkage connects to the gear box. When I removed the cover I became slightly less happy as the dust cover was full of transmission fluid which emptied on my head. I seem to recall this is a dust cover and not supposed to be full of fluid - am I right and if so do I now have to play hunt the leak or will it just be a side effect of sitting around not being used for two years.
Oh yeah its a 901 sideshifter if it makes any difference

Cheers

Andy
JWest
Common leak. It is the shaft seal where the selector enters the trans. There are were some posts on replacing this not too long ago.
AndyC
Found it, Thanks James beerchug.gif
Porsche Rescue
Just did the job. Need a seal, O ring and roll pin. I got them from Porsche for $17 total. Probably cheaper elsewhere. Also will need fresh gear oil.
AndyC
Another essential part is two bottles of shampoo to get the oil out of my hair sad.gif
Have you got part numbers for those bits?
Porsche Rescue
999 701 359 40 O ring
900 112 001 50 Seal
900 309 001 00 Roll pin

Pin above is for the lever at the outer end of the shaft where the shift rod connects. Once the assembly is out and at the bench, you could take off the inner shift fork to disassemble as well. However it takes a different length roll pin.

Rather than driving the pin out with hammer/punch, use a vise as a press. Use a bolt slightly smaller in diameter than the pin and use a deep socket on the back side to receive the pressed out pin. Assemble the same way.

Pay attention to orientation of lever before you remove the pin. You can reinstall 180 degrees out and have to do it all again.
AndyC
Many thanks Jim
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.