Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: To convert back to FI from a carb?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
carking1996
I'd like to make my car mostly original so I'd like to eventually convert back from a Weber carb to the 2.0 FI. What do I need to do that; has anyone here done it? any info is helpful
Spoke
It can be done. I've put FI on a 1.8L. You'll need all the FI parts and they must all be in working order. Changing is easily done with the engine out of the car.
TheCabinetmaker
Reinstalling the djet without knowing what cam you have is a crap shoot. You could end up with an engine that runs like shit and gets poor mileage.I'm being realistic here, as I'm a hard core fuel injection guy.
BeatNavy
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Jul 20 2017, 03:07 PM) *

Reinstalling the djet without knowing what cam you have is a crap shoot. You could end up with an engine that runs like shit and gets poor mileage.I'm being realistic here, as I'm a hard core fuel injection guy.

agree.gif You can buy a complete D-Jet system for, say, $400 to $600 and go back to FI, but if someone put a carb-friendly cam in there it won't work correctly. Any knowledge of the engine's history? I'm also in the FI camp...
carking1996
Thanks guys. I know almost nothing of the cars history other than it was at the side of a highway abandoned until it was towed and the PO bought it and sold it to me
porschetub
Is it single or dual carb ? not many folk change cams from the get go after removing FI because they don't want to spend the money to get that working.
Many of our cars had this done earlier on in their life because many mechanics blamed the FI for poor running,back then most had no idea how the system worked.
Buy a complete system of a motor that was previously running,don't fall into the trap of buying individual parts and hoping they work.
Factor in extra $$$ for replacing all the hoses and getting the injectors serviced,add a new fuel pump to the list.
Do it right and you will have a better fuel system that starts easier,is smoother to drive with good economy.
Good luck.
banananose914
I'm for original myself. I've had single and dual carbs on some of my past 914's. I like the fuel injection. Whenever I see someone list a car at top price, I expect to see that it has fuel injection. Any future fours I buy will have fuel injection. Did I mention fuel injection too many times? Jim.
mmichalik
I have an almost complete FI system for a 75 2.0, including ECU (or what ever they called it back then) harness, manifolds, etc, that you're welcome to if you're interested.

(I say almost complete because I'm not 100% sure that everything is there but I would say it's close.)

PM me and I'd be happy to send pictures of everything.

The caveat is that when it was pulled off the motor 2 years ago, it was all working. It "should" still be ok but for free, you can't beat it. Just pay the shipping and it's yours.

Lemme know.

Mike
BeatNavy
QUOTE(mmichalik @ Jul 20 2017, 06:16 PM) *

It "should" still be ok but for free, you can't beat it. Just pay the shipping and it's yours.

Now THAT is a generous offer. Nice.
Rand
Extremely generous! Carking, jump on that before the vultures swarm and circle. Very cool of you, Mike.
carking1996
Sent Mike a pm. Also any way to know what cam my car has?
Rand
The dingwads who convert to a single carb don't change cams. I don't think you have anything to worry about on that front. If you had a decent dual carb setup I'd be more concerned and would tear it down to see what's inside.

I have no doubt your cam is stock and FI will be a great upgrade.
mmichalik
Thanks guys. I'm just trying to help out a fellow 914'er.

Since FI is so far outside of the direction I'm going right now, I'm happy to be in a position to pass it on.

Working with Paul right now to get things done.

Have a great day!
Porschef
And there you have it. More proof that this place doesn't suck. rolleyes.gif

Well done, Mike. beer.gif
Pursang
QUOTE(mmichalik @ Jul 20 2017, 02:16 PM) *

The caveat is that when it was pulled off the motor 2 years ago, it was all working. It "should" still be ok but for free, you can't beat it. Just pay the shipping and it's yours.

Lemme know.

Mike

Rep! beerchug.gif
RFoulds
dang. I coulda used that FI package. a day late!
carking1996
QUOTE(RFoulds @ Jul 20 2017, 07:34 PM) *

dang. I coulda used that FI package. a day late!

Thanks for all the information, guys! Mike and I are working out the deal! We have a very nice community here!
mmichalik
I'm going to post these pictures here, in case anyone notices something that might be missing.

Like I mentioned before, I believe it's all there. It was taken off a 1975 2.0 and worked when it was last run, 2 years ago.

My apologies if they are too big, first time posting pic's here.

Mike
carking1996
QUOTE(mmichalik @ Jul 20 2017, 08:13 PM) *

I'm going to post these pictures here, in case anyone notices something that might be missing.

Like I mentioned before, I believe it's all there. It was taken off a 1975 2.0 and worked when it was last run, 2 years ago.

My apologies if they are too big, first time posting pic's here.

Mike

Looks good. Waiting to see if others can tell me if there's anything missing, as this is a new thing to me and I don't know either.
bbrock
This seems to answer a question I've had for some time, but I'll ask it explicitly. Are there any "carb friendly" cams that are compatible with the stock FI?

I have a "mild street" grind cam purchased from Automotion back in the 80s to use with a pair of Weber 40 IDFs. If I ever had specs for lift and duration for that cam, they have been lost. I still have the original FI system and at some point will likely go back to it. I'm just wondering if doing so will definately require going back to a stock cam. And if not, what would I be sacrificing by not doing so? It would be nice to have the option of going back to FI without splitting the case, but that's probably asking too much.
Rand
There are several parts you can do without. CSV, AAX, yada yada. No big. I hope that's an MPS in the pic, you'll need it! I don't see injectors?
Rand
QUOTE(bbrock @ Jul 20 2017, 05:26 PM) *

Are there any "carb friendly" cams that are compatible with the stock FI?

No and vice versa no. They are mutually exclusive.
BeatNavy
QUOTE(Rand @ Jul 20 2017, 08:50 PM) *

There are several parts you can do without. CSV, AAX, yada yada. No big.

The elephant in the room is the MPS. You need that. I don't see injectors.

The injectors are there in the runners. Make sure to send them out for cleaning/servicing (Mr. Injector). I see the AAR as well.

You'll also need an FI fuel pump. Just get that Bosch two port one from Tangerine.

You should rush out and buy a lotto ticket tonight, too smile.gif
poorsche914
I don't see injectors?

They are in the intake runners poke.gif

driving.gif
bbrock
QUOTE(BeatNavy @ Jul 20 2017, 06:57 PM) *

You'll also need an FI fuel pump. Just get that Bosch two port one from Tangerine.

You should rush out and buy a lotto ticket tonight, too smile.gif

And what about a distributor with injector triggers? I don't see one there.
Rand
QUOTE(poorsche914 @ Jul 20 2017, 06:00 PM) *

I don't see injectors?

driving.gif

If they are there, then win! Should have been mentioned. smile.gif The MPS isn't inside anything. poke.gif

biggrin.gif Love yalls. Such a great place to sort this stuff out.
BeatNavy
QUOTE(Rand @ Jul 20 2017, 09:32 PM) *

QUOTE(poorsche914 @ Jul 20 2017, 06:00 PM) *

I don't see injectors?

driving.gif

The MPS isn't inside anything. poke.gif

It's "inside" the picture biggrin.gif

Don't know about dizzy. Depends on what dizzy the OP has now.
Rand
Doh, I see it now. I hope this leads to a running car. So cool to see this collaboration. beerchug.gif
thelogo
Unless youve built , disassembled
Troubleshooted these f.i system s many times

I think its a mistake to try to assemble by piecemeal

A system for these cars

Lets say you test everything and it all works and you assemble
And install it correctly on the car , and thats a big if .

Then you fine tune it etc .

Its still a 40+ old system that if any one little thing fails or partially fails its almost impossible to diagnose and will give you fits trying to figure it out . Unless see first line of this post then your ok chair.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.