Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Paying It Forward:
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WTB: 914 Parts
914_7T3
Passing along a set of California Blue Plates to any 914 member that will clear them with the DMV and register them on their car.

I believe the The D series lettering to be period correct for a '70-'71 vehicle when registered new.

These were given to me by a fellow 914 World Member and I have decided to go with personalized plates instead as my car originated out of state so no need for these.

Here is the link for the CA Year of Manufacture Application to re-register:

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/wcm/connect/8...pdf?MOD=AJPERES

I will ship these at N/C to the first member that WILL promise to register these for use on their vehicle and and not turn them for a profit.

All I ask is that you update the listing with a photo of the plates on your car with the registration (with personal info omitted)

Who wants em???

Click to view attachment
Interested..Would love them for my 6..Where in LA are you? Can pick them up.. PM me..
Thanks Alan
914_7T3
Claimed by 914!
Montreal914
I have a set of Blue plates that were given to me.
So these can be re-activated to a different car? confused24.gif
Is it as simple as going to the DMV and swap these instead of my current ones? idea.gif
Any idea of the fees involved? beerchug.gif
euro911
Man, Daniel dlo914 would probably like those, but He hasn't been on the board for a while

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showuser=2697
914_7T3
QUOTE(Montreal914 @ Jul 20 2017, 05:59 PM) *

Is it as simple as going to the DMV and swap these instead of my current ones? idea.gif

Yes, as of January 2016 all of the Blue plates can be reused once they are "DMV Cleared" by filling out the appropriate forms as per the below link:

If you are a AAA member, you can go through them for DMV services and they can answer all questions

These plates in every day condition sell on Ebay between $75 & $125/pair and restorers are asking $350 a pair.

If I am not mistaken you have a '73 model year and the period correct ones are letters G through K.
dug
For another point of ref, my 71 bus had CWS on the plates, so yeah Dxx is also probably 71 original.

If anyone happens upon blue plates with DUG, I will pay extra;)

cheers,
dug
Tom_T
QUOTE(Calvinator2016 @ Jul 20 2017, 06:15 PM) *

Yes, as of January 2016 all of the Blue plates can be reused once they are "DMV Cleared" by filling out the appropriate forms as per the below link:

If you are a AAA member, you can go through them for DMV services and they can answer all questions

These plates in every day condition sell on Ebay between $75 & $125/pair and restorers are asking $350 a pair.

If I am not mistaken you have a '73 model year and the period correct ones are letters G through K.

Yes, my early 73 1st registered in Nov 72 is GVS.

Thanx for posting the DMV info Calvinator, as I wasn't aware that they had finally moved up the YOM date from 69 to 80.

I did a YOM for our 1960 Avion T20 trailer (like Airstream) a few years ago, when it was still only up to 1969 (& up to 1972+/- or something on trucks only for some reason).

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Montreal914

Thank you for the information, this is great! I will check at the AAA office. Not between G & K but close. Even comes with the patina...

Click to view attachment
JeffBowlsby
Great to know! Keeping my eyes peeled for a set of CA blue plates in the L _ _ series as the last three. Please let me know if anyone has a set available.
JeffBowlsby
QUOTE(dug @ Jul 20 2017, 06:33 PM) *

For another point of ref, my 71 bus had CWS on the plates, so yeah Dxx is also probably 71 original.

cheers,
dug

Dugster...what do I win?

Go here: http://platevault.com/showcase.php

RAX914
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Jul 20 2017, 09:10 PM) *

Great to know! Keeping my eyes peeled for a set of CA blue plates in the L _ _ series as the last three. Please let me know if anyone has a set available.

Jeff, Here you go: http://www.ebay.com/itm/CALIFORNIA-1970s-1...QkAAOSwmNlZZAl-

Click to view attachment
dug
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Jul 20 2017, 09:31 PM) *

QUOTE(dug @ Jul 20 2017, 06:33 PM) *

cheers,
dug

Dugster...what do I win?

Go here: http://platevault.com/showcase.php

Awesome! Too bad its not a pair, but still cool!
7TPorsh
Someone should confirm if Cal DMV is doing this on blue plates. Last I heard no go,
markhoward
California is definitely doing blue YOM plates since the beginning of the year. The no go was the new blue/gold retro plates similar to the black/gold ones that got approved. Needed 7500 orders on each before approving and only the black ones made it.
JawjaPorsche
These were the plates that were on my wife's 1977 Datsun pickup. Her name is Jaye so that will make it clearer!
914_7T3
QUOTE(Montreal914 @ Jul 20 2017, 08:45 PM) *

Thank you for the information, this is great! I will check at the AAA office. Not between G & K but close. Even comes with the patina...

Click to view attachment

I was advised that there was indeed some overlap into the L-- series in late '73! You my friend are mostl likely " period correct"!

Call me when you get back from your vacation and we'll go driving driving.gif
markhoward
Heard that DMV distributed plates in bulk to the various offices and that the relationship between model year and sequencing can vary depending on location. Cities having lots of cars went through alot more plates than smaller cities. So smaller places could have issued lower sequences for the same model year than bigger cities. Just a theory..
toolguy
QUOTE(markhoward @ Jul 21 2017, 09:36 PM) *

Heard that DMV distributed plates in bulk to the various offices and that the relationship between model year and sequencing can vary depending on location. Cities having lots of cars went through alot more plates than smaller cities. So smaller places could have issued lower sequences for the same model year than bigger cities. Just a theory..

This is absolutely correct. In those days, DMV handed out plates when they had 'walk in' clients. Different DMV offices got consecutive group of plates They were grouped by the 1st letter. . so in the beginning,of 1970, some offices got "A" and some got "B" and so on up to the letter that was needed to fulfill 1970 needs. . SO a ""D" plate would have been issued at the same time as an "A" plate depending on the office that was issuing them. My mom was a DMV manager The good part of that is I never stood in a line and could pick-a plate from what they had on hand. .
pete000
This was a hard one to find !
pete000
Seinfeld has a nice blue plate...
pete000
I believe this is the original plate that came on our 74
Montreal914
QUOTE(Calvinator2016 @ Jul 21 2017, 08:48 PM) *

QUOTE(Montreal914 @ Jul 20 2017, 08:45 PM) *

Click to view attachment

I was advised that there was indeed some overlap into the L-- series in late '73! You my friend are mostl likely " period correct"!

Call me when you get back from your vacation and we'll go driving driving.gif

Like Pete000 "L" plate, I'm pretty sure my "LIV" came from a 74 car... Still tempting, I like the "LIV". Fun stuff.

Leaving tomorrow and our rental in Italy is supposed to be a Fiat 500L rolleyes.gif economic yet family compatible, hopefully it will be standard . Will miss my daily drive even if it's been really hot recently, morning and afternoon foothill scenic commute are just fun.

Will get in touch when I'm back.
toolguy
Original Calif 1970 era blue plates came with a 'red' month sticker
euro911
I should have kept the blue plates when I sold my '76 530i ... could have used them on my '75 914 headbang.gif

My '66 912 has blue plates (and the tag from the last year it was driven) mad.gif

Click to view attachment

Working on it though ... just removed all of the calipers this past week for restoration at PMB biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment

Maybe I can transfer those to my '75 and get retro black plates for the '66 idea.gif

... and my wife's '71 still has it's original blues too ... David Bowie plates (Ziggy from Mars) laugh.gif

Click to view attachment

I had to turn in the blue plates that were on my 911 when I got black retro plates for it last year - but that's OK, the new plates read 64 911 aktion035.gif
914_7T3
Speaking of Blue & Yellow, had to update my Avatar.

Click to view attachment
pete000
QUOTE(toolguy @ Jul 22 2017, 11:56 AM) *

Original Calif 1970 era blue plates came with a 'red' month sticker

I was a fool and took of the crusty old orig decals and put new ones on...
Blue6
Mark, are you sure those are the original plates from your '66. I don't think so.. bs.gif poke.gif
Larmo63
QUOTE(Calvinator2016 @ Jul 22 2017, 01:58 PM) *

Click to view attachment

The black mirrors looked better....... KMA.gif
914_7T3
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Jul 22 2017, 09:06 PM) *

QUOTE(Calvinator2016 @ Jul 22 2017, 01:58 PM) *

The black mirrors looked better....... KMA.gif

finger.gif

"That is all!"
EdwardBlume
Bought the car in 76 used.
euro911
QUOTE(Blue6 @ Jul 22 2017, 08:48 PM) *
Mark, are you sure those are the original plates from your '66. I don't think so.. bs.gif poke.gif
Original to me wink.gif
Blue6
QUOTE(euro911 @ Jul 22 2017, 10:57 PM) *

Original to me wink.gif

Agreed. Guessing the plates are about 1981, give or take a yr... smile.gif
euro911
QUOTE(Blue6 @ Jul 24 2017, 08:33 PM) *

QUOTE(euro911 @ Jul 22 2017, 10:57 PM) *

Original to me wink.gif

Agreed. Guessing the plates are about 1981, give or take a yr... smile.gif
Yeah, my goof ... I purchased the '66 in 1988 and wasn't thinking straight. Mixing up '70's 914 with '60's 911s & 912s screwy.gif
dug
QUOTE(pete000 @ Jul 22 2017, 09:50 AM) *

Thats an I there in Seinfelds 9I4 6 GT.

I know because I tried to register 914 6 GT and it took to the clerk talking to her manager to figure out why it wouldn't let it through even though it wasn't taken in the system.

4 numbers and 2 letters pattern is reserved for boats! sad.gif
pete000
QUOTE(dug @ Jul 24 2017, 09:07 PM) *

QUOTE(pete000 @ Jul 22 2017, 09:50 AM) *

Thats an I there in Seinfelds 9I4 6 GT.

I know because I tried to register 914 6 GT and it took to the clerk talking to her manager to figure out why it wouldn't let it through even though it wasn't taken in the system.

4 numbers and 2 letters pattern is reserved for boats! sad.gif

Good eye, I did not see that !
DblDog
THIS. This is good news! Tried several times w DMV to get these reinstated. And now I just have to fill out a form!
Click to view attachment
These were issued for my 72 when I purchased it new in May of 1972. Even have a little patina, didn't have the front one on much.

I got new plates around 91 when I went for re-registration and they told me I would I would have to pay for all the years since I last registered it...about $600 with penalties if I wanted to keep them. But I could get new plates for much less. Duh (read, idiot!)...never knew the originals would become so good to have...

Kudos to who posted this first.
914_7T3
QUOTE(Calvinator2016 @ Jul 20 2017, 04:00 PM) *

Passing along a set of California Blue Plates to any 914 member that will clear them with the DMV and register them on their car.

I believe the The D series lettering to be period correct for a '70-'71 vehicle when registered new.

These were given to me by a fellow 914 World Member and I have decided to go with personalized plates instead as my car originated out of state so no need for these.

Here is the link for the CA Year of Manufacture Application to re-register:

I will ship these at N/C to the first member that WILL promise to register these for use on their vehicle and and not turn them for a profit.

All I ask is that you update the listing with a photo of the plates on your car with the registration (with personal info omitted)

Who wants em???

Click to view attachment

@914 Opted not to use these after all so they are once again available as an X-Mas Gift to the first 914World Member for the asking. Same rules above apply except for the BS about seeing a registration!

santa_smiley.gif
Tdskip
I will take them please, they will go on my 914.
914_7T3
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Dec 24 2018, 01:56 PM) *

I will take them please, they will go on my 914.

@Tdskip will be the new custodian of these plates.

Merry Christmas!

santa_smiley.gif
Tdskip
Thank you very much, and a very merry Christmas to you and your family as well!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.