Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is the Dustless blaster safe to use on Rims
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
flmont
Since Iam getting the engine bay blasted would it be safe to do the rims too,..if its done at a distance,..?? Thanks Frank
mepstein
It should be good but remember, it will remove paint but not the anodizing.
flmont
Ahh Ok,.Thanks
Mark Henry
See the start of this thread on how to remove the anodizing.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=191978

Many people trying to do a DIY polish job have damaged their rims by over sanding the rims without removing the anodizing first.
At a car show last weekend I saw a set of hearts that were destroyed this way by some yahoo.
jmitro
does it depend on the type of blast media used? IE sand vs glass vs walnut shells?
If none of those remove the anodizing then it would make my job easy smile.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(jmitro @ Jul 22 2017, 08:20 AM) *

does it depend on the type of blast media used? IE sand vs glass vs walnut shells?

Walnut won't remove anodizing. Sand will - don't sandblast wheels! Glass might. Sometimes the anodizing is failing anyway. I glass beaded cookies but the finish was already compromised.
moorepower
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 22 2017, 08:05 AM) *

QUOTE(jmitro @ Jul 22 2017, 08:20 AM) *

Walnut won't remove anodizing. Sand will - don't sandblast wheels! Glass might. Sometimes the anodizing is failing anyway. I glass beaded cookies but the finish was already compromised.

Plastic media will remove paint frome a Coke can, and not damage the aluminum.
Mark Henry
The stripping I showed in the link is real easy, hardest part is finding a big enough tray.

Care must be taken as it is corrosive and never mix with ammonia (poison gas), but the solution is biodegradable, just put it on your lawn and wash it down with a bunch of water.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.