Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Difficulty shifting
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tsvo
I have difficulty getting my car to shift smooth. Mostly 1st gear. You have to be very gentle getting it to go in gear. It will grind if you try to shift it fast. Sometimes there is a little trouble with it not going in other gears, but mostly first gear. The clutch point is high and seems fine.

Any suggestions?
poorsche914
Have you checked gear oil to be sure it is at the correct level? If it is running low, that could cause shifting issues.

driving.gif
RickS
Replace all your shift bushings if you haven't already. When they get old, they get loose and sloppy or disintegrate. Even if the bushings may not be the cause, replacement of worn is always a good idea.
porschetub
Then you move to all the other issues over and above what is reality,don't expect fast changes up or down cause these box's aren't even close.
Check everything,pedals,cable, cable tube,clutch roller,throw out lever,flywheel /clutch disk condition ...and more,it all fits together to make it work ask me how I know.
Basically the plastic bits are rubbish,even replaced it still sloopy,plenty of good upgrades to be used ,the firewall bush is a prime example.
Mikey914
Replace the bushings they are cheap. The question is do you have the early tail shift or late side shift.

If you have this it's a late

Let me know I can hook you up with all the bushings you need, all new.
somd914
Is this a recent issue? As others have said, bushings are a frequent culprit, as is proper clutch adjustment per spec not general feel, shifter linkage adjustment is another culprit, and ultimately it could be time for a tranny refresh.

Do a search on these topics and also on Dr. Evil - you will come up with numerous helpful threads about these topics.

Good luck
BillC
Bushings are always a good thing to check & replace, but that doesn't sound like his main problem.

It sounds to me like his first gear synchro is weak. The clue is when he said it only grinds if he shifts fast, but no grind if gentle when shifting. Fortunately, the synchro can be done with the trans in the car. Unfortunately, it's not a trivial job, especially the first time (been there, done it).

If you decide to replace the 1st gear synchro, contact Dr. Evil. He helped me do mine, by providing advice and parts.
North Coast Jim
QUOTE(tsvo @ Jul 22 2017, 11:12 PM) *

I have difficulty getting my car to shift smooth. Mostly 1st gear. You have to be very gentle getting it to go in gear. It will grind if you try to shift it fast. Sometimes there is a little trouble with it not going in other gears, but mostly first gear. The clutch point is high and seems fine.

Any suggestions?

Replace all the bushings that's a must. If it's still a problem with grinding gears it's probably time for a tranny refresh. Dr Evil just did mine and it runs like new. Removed the tranny in about 1 hour and a half leaving the engine in the car. Don't forget new CV joint gaskets for install. Ask me how I know.
bdstone914
QUOTE(BillC @ Jul 23 2017, 06:03 AM) *

Bushings are always a good thing to check & replace, but that doesn't sound like his main problem.

It sounds to me like his first gear synchro is weak. The clue is when he said it only grinds if he shifts fast, but no grind if gentle when shifting. Fortunately, the synchro can be done with the trans in the car. Unfortunately, it's not a trivial job, especially the first time (been there, done it).

If you decide to replace the 1st gear synchro, contact Dr. Evil. He helped me do mine, by providing advice and parts.

agree.gif Most likely 1st gear syncro.
forrestkhaag
Or it could be the throwout bearing is not fully disengaging the clutch and 1st is particularly sensitive to this issue. In my case, recently I had the same symptoms when I finished the install on my 6. I could not get first to not grind.

The solution cost a dime. I was advised by Leamon to grind the edges of a dime to the diameter of the clutch fork ball cup hole, then press the dime in, replace the ball cup bushing with a new one from 914-Rubber and reasemble.

Amazingly, this solved the issue instantly upon reassembly of the clutch to the engine. Suddenly that dime created ample slack in the clutch throwout to fully engage the StageII clutch and all gears were nash free ..... for a while.....

Sidebar: That fix allowed me to promptly blow first gear out of my 3.0 6 build's tranny. hissyfit.gif sheeplove.gif
Mikey914
He did say a problem in all gears. so bushings are a safe bet to start. Then adjust the clutch to make sure you get full disengagement. If you still have problems (usually in 1st) I'd look at 1st reverse synchro. May be all of the above, may get lucky, but ft it keeps grinding you will have a problem.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.