Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-6 conversion question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
targa72e
I am in the process of doing a 914-6 conversion. I will be using a bulkhead style mount. Do most people leave the original 4 cyl engine mounts or cut them out?

thanks,

john
Coondog
Cut them out for a cleaner look.
mlindner
I left mine in...the dolly I built uses the engine mount for support, staying off the body for better undercoating removal and metal prep. But, with oil tank in fender, drivers side engine mount does need about 1/4 cut away for the oil line to engine. Mark
Mark Henry
I cut mine out.

I hated cutting anything on my car, but it's like the first time you pop your cherry, once you've done it a few times you're ready to get your freak on.
biggrin.gif
mepstein
On the east coast, they are usually compromised by rust so it's good to remove them. On my GT build I had them removed. It also lets you use all 5 pieces of the GT reinforcement kit. On my other 6 conversion, I left them in for now. When I do bodywork and paint, I will remove them.
wndsnd
I cut mine out, it just is cleaner.
mb911
Cut mine out
jim912928
also cut mine out.
rgalla9146
Out
porschetub
Mine will be out next engine drop .
PanelBilly
Out
Steve
I took mine out, but the passenger side had rust underneath it. I ended up removing the metal that covered the inner frame. This weakend that side and then it started to crack. If you do remove them make sure the metal is good underneath. Otherwise you will need to make a scab plate to replace the rusted area. Also make sure you have no plans to ever convert it back or change your mind and want a v8 or subi, since both of those use the stock mounts.
defianty
QUOTE(Steve @ Jul 24 2017, 07:12 AM) *

I took mine out, but the passenger side had rust underneath it. I ended up removing the metal that covered the inner frame. This weekend that side and then it started to crack. If you do remove them make sure the metal is good underneath. Also make sure you have no plans to ever convert it back or change your mind and want a v8 or subi, since both of those use the stock mounts.

This is the same problem I had, but I'm glad I removed them.
jkb944t
I removed mine for a cleaning look and additional room to work.

Jeff B
Justinp71
I also removed them for a cleaner look, I do think if for some reason you wanted to go back to flat four or to a v8 it would be difficult to re-install? I don't think many go to v8 though after having a flat six.
mmascari
I still have mine but they are definitely in the way when you want to run oil lines to a front mounted oil cooler.
Larmo63
I'm leaving mine in. I think they strengthen that corner of the chassis.

I ran both cooler lines up through the big round hole on the driver's side.
914dave
Cut mine out and found rust under both. Added the reinforcement plate from the stiffening kit. Then gussetted the suspension ear to the reinforcement plate.
JmuRiz
I left mine in...didn't think about removing actually.
mb911
I am now thinking I may just make a reinforcement overlay for where my engine mounts were much like the GT kit.. I think i have seen others do it.
restore2seater
So it seems there is the opinion that removing the mounts weakens the structure. So what was there on the original 914/6? confused24.gif
jkb944t
QUOTE(914dave @ Jul 25 2017, 04:50 AM) *

Cut mine out and found rust under both. Added the reinforcement plate from the stiffening kit. Then gussetted the suspension ear to the reinforcement plate.

I didn't find much rust under mine when I removed them but I did add the reinforcement plates from the GT kit after I removed them for extra support.

Click to view attachment

Jeff B
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.