Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: won't restart - sometimes
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bradtho
twice in the last 3 days I've taken a short trip just fine, then try to start the car again and it won't start. Starter is working fine but it just won't catch. car is a 1.7 with djet.

Vapor lock? seems unlikely, temps have been 75-80, and the car wasn't fully warmed up before stopping.

both times I eventually got it re-started by waiting a while and then running the starter for 30+ seconds (maybe 60+ who knows, it feels like forever). I smell gas when doing this. I expect that's unspent fuel coming out of the tailpipe which would suggest adequate fuel delivery.

the starter is chugging away, so we should have compression.

uh, I'm going to guess that I've got oxygen.

so that leaves spark, which was working for the initial start and short trip and works once I get it going it.

I ran it for a solid hour after this last no-start to see if anything showed up and it was running well. Occasionally idling high, but... djet. So motor seems strong (for a 1.7) and no other symptoms.

Once I got it started again, it choked for a min or 2 then settled in, I'm guessing that was it being flooded and recovering. but clearly I don't know something here.

I'm planning to let it cool down then check the plugs to see if they look fouled. I ran a search and didn't see anything that looked like intermittent starting problems.

Anyone seen something like this or have other suggestions? FPR? fuel pump going bad? I keep discounting these types of issues since it runs fine once started.

TheCabinetmaker
Sounds like it's flooded. Hold throttle wide open next time while cranking. Might take 10/15 seconds to clear it out. Cause could be leaky injectors.
bradtho
yeah, I was holding the pedal to the floor, eventually took way more than 15 sec to start. I agree felt like flooded, but I've never had that happen w/ FI before. I've had my car 7 years so this is a new one for me.
Tom_T
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Jul 23 2017, 04:39 PM) *

Sounds like it's flooded. Hold throttle wide open next time while cranking. Might take 10/15 seconds to clear it out. Cause could be leaky injectors.

agree.gif
.... with Curt, & will add possibly a sticky cold start valve (5th injector) too could be the culprit.

Also, when was the last time you checked/changed your trigger points?

Oakdale Curtis & I were just chatting about them last Friday. If they're off, then the fuel delivery will be too little, too much, off time, etc.

Also, contrary to your: "Occasionally idling high, but... djet." - a properly dialed in d-jet system shouldn't have that wandering idle problem, it's usually a sign that something is awry, possibly vacuum leak, iffy MPS, etc., which causes the ECU to "chase itself." It could be related to your starting problem, or in addition to it.

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Tom_T
QUOTE(bradtho @ Jul 23 2017, 05:07 PM) *

yeah, I was holding the pedal to the floor, eventually took way more than 15 sec to start. I agree felt like flooded, but I've never had that happen w/ FI before. I've had my car 7 years so this is a new one for me.

Actually Brad, the owners manual on 914 4s says to floor the pedal while cranking until it starts, to start it - SOP.

Can you start a 914/4 of any flavor without doing so? Often yes, but that was the factory's recommended procedure.

I had to relearn to not floor the pedal when I got my `85 BMW 325e E30, which doesn't have that start procedure.

PS - Here's that page below FYI, Thanx to member Drew Montoya uploading pix of his, & since there are those on here who just have to see documentation on things, without ever looking it up themselves. (PSS - Brad, I'm not putting you into that group BTW. ;-)

Click to view attachment

If you don't have your owners manual, then go to this link of Drew's to download & print out one for you...

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?aut...;showentry=2420

It's actually very helpful on many issues regularly asked on here, by those apparently not reading one. smile.gif

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.