Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 Owners Manual - Best Book Ever!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tom_T
smile.gif PS - I added a link to the free download of the 914 PET Parts Manual & info on other digital & online 914 resources at post #12, so also read on ....

I know today that with 100-200+ page & multi-volume car owners manuals, it's a daunting task to actually READ the thing, but our 914s came with a +/- 80 page manual chock full of great info.!

One member on here - Drew Montoya - scanned/photo'ed his entire 1973 manual, which "Gift" is unfortunately in some obscure section on 914world - but should really be part of a nailed thread in the Garage Forum - along with scans/pix of the other manuals from all MYs & models 4 & 6 IMHO!

Probably half of the questions posted in the Garage Forum by newbies & old hands alike, are answered in that little manual - including the maintenance items which you can do for yourself, among many other tips & how to's - if one will just look in the manual, before hitting the all too easy online search button or do a how do I .... post.

Don't get me wrong - the age of the internet is wonderful - but you can't beat having a 914 owners manual at hand within which you can find the answer while or before you're working on it, trying to start it, wondering what "X" spec is, etc.

If you don't have a manual, then you can buy hard copies online & from some Porsche vendors, evil bay, etc.; or you can download & print out Drew's gift of the 1973 1.7/2.0 manual at the link below:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?aut...;showentry=2420

So why not fill some spare time this summer, by reading your own 914 owners manual, if you haven't before!? shades.gif

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
bandjoey
If you have the bag and manual and papers, I even found a 'credit card' in a back pocket of the manual with the original factory key numbers. biggrin.gif
banananose914
They do have some useful information, but just like the factory manuals they tend to gloss over a lot of in depth information. This is where my wallet comes in. I do it wrong, or break it and I learn. I don't recommend this method to everyone. You must be a seasoned veteran like me, and screw things up on a regular basis.
Dave_Darling
There should be a 74 owner's manual (European version, but in English!) and a 1970 914-6 owner's manual available as well.

--DD
Tom_T
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Jul 23 2017, 07:07 PM) *

If you have the bag and manual and papers, I even found a 'credit card' in a back pocket of the manual with the original factory key numbers. biggrin.gif

Bill,

That card with the key code is invaluable in the situation where all keys are lost, & a locksmith should be able to cut one from the code (they may have to get some info with the code from Porsche this far along since new).

One of our Down Under members recently posted about a lost key, & he could've used that card well, I'm sure.

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Tom_T
QUOTE(banananose914 @ Jul 23 2017, 08:11 PM) *

They do have some useful information, but just like the factory manuals they tend to gloss over a lot of in depth information. This is where my wallet comes in. I do it wrong, or break it and I learn. I don't recommend this method to everyone. You must be a seasoned veteran like me, and screw things up on a regular basis.

laugh.gif No Jim, you just call Andy & Kent! poke.gif

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
banananose914
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jul 23 2017, 08:32 PM) *

QUOTE(banananose914 @ Jul 23 2017, 08:11 PM) *

laugh.gif No Jim, you just call Andy & Kent! poke.gif

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

It appears you know my secret. I have to break it first.
gulf908
..... and a 1970 914-6 owner's manual available as well .....

Dave

do you know if these are available now as Porsche's reprints ?
they seem to be printing everything else but this one sad.gif
my original has drowned at some stage and I would prefer a reprint in my glovebox rather than an original

cheers
Dennis smile.gif

Steve Snyder
Tom,
I have considered posting copies of the 914 and 914/6 manuals for each model year on p914.com, but I'm pretty sure the Porsche police would frown on that since it is copyrighted material. That is unfortunate, because there is a wealth of easy-to-find information in those little books.
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(gulf908 @ Jul 24 2017, 12:43 AM) *

No idea, sorry!

--DD
Tom_T
QUOTE(gulf908 @ Jul 24 2017, 12:43 AM) *

..... and a 1970 914-6 owner's manual available as well .....

Dave

they seem to be printing everything else but this one sad.gif
my original has drowned at some stage and I would prefer a reprint in my glovebox rather than an original

cheers
Dennis smile.gif

Dennis,

I can't say for sure about 914-6 reprints, but there are some Porsche vendors out there who are sell new/NOS reprinted manuals. A couple of years back I got one for my 73 2L from Auto Atlanta - so you might try there, Sierra Madre Collection, Einmalig (Huntington Beach CA USA), & your local Porsche dealer parts department.

Otherwise, keep an eye out on here, 914club.com , TheSamba.com - Porsche classifieds section, eBay (worldwide), for a decent used one.

Cheers!
Tom
///////
Tom_T
QUOTE(Steve Snyder @ Jul 24 2017, 06:00 AM) *

Tom,
I have considered posting copies of the 914 and 914/6 manuals for each model year on p914.com, but I'm pretty sure the Porsche police would frown on that since it is copyrighted material. That is unfortunate, because there is a wealth of easy-to-find information in those little books.

Steve,

There are copyright exceptions for non-profit uses & reproduction (posting pix) of copyrighted materials. It's been a while since I looked at the law, which may have changed in the 2-4 years since I last looked at it - so best to look for yourself at the US Patent & Copyright Office website &/or one of the reliable legal resource websites, all of which usually pop-up in a google search.

I think there may also be specific language , credits, disclosures, warnings on reuse, etc. that you may have to include with any posted material - which would be at the actual laws/codes/regulations found there.

Certainly someone like Drew posting pix of his personally owned manual for personal use should be okay, & if others followed suit with theirs pix posting on here. It could be argued as a digital archiving of personal materials in case of loss/damage, since they are in short supply now, & AFAIK aren't being reprinted at present by Porsche.

However, you can make suggestions on needed products to Porsche Classic at their website:
http://www.porsche.com/usa/accessoriesandservices/classic/

IIRC - posting the pix of an old out-of-print document(s) like these with the source & copyright credits intact in full, would typically be exempt from the "Porsche Police" actions, if done properly & according to the laws/etc. noted above.

shades.gif BTW - for those of you who don't know, Steve does the excellent 914 resource website p914.com ( & .org + .net).

poke.gif It should be on everybody's 914 bookmark list, along with 914world, 914club.com, & Jeff Bowlsby's set of great 914 websites, & Porsche's ever expanding Classics section.

type.gif And everybody should have at least a downloaded copy of the 914 PET Parts Catalog & at least a CD copy of the 914 Factory Repair Manual (for sale from AA, SMC?, Stoddards?, 914Rubber?, & perhaps other vendors).

914 PET Download:
http://www.porsche.com/all/media/pdf/origi...USA_KATALOG.pdf

shades.gif One of the major points in this thread, is to say that there are resources out there, in your glovebox, etc. which folks can use to figure stuff out on their 914s - prior to, instead of, & without going straight to the smartphone in your pocket to do a "help me" post on things asked regularly & repeatedly on 914world.

BTW - if you get "no joy" looking in the books - or not enough detail - then doing a plain google search of the topic will typically get you much better returns, than the search function on this website. So try the google search after books, & before asking the questions in a topic here.

Chances are it's been asked more than once here & answered already - such as one of my favorite annually recurring topics - usually by several people each time - the ubiquitous hot start / vapor lock problem! biggrin.gif

You'll be a better informed & "edumacated" 914 owner too, by doing some good old fashioned "book larnin' " - whether the "book" is in paper or digital format. biggrin.gif

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.