Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How bad is this?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ericoneal
I've been working to replace the throw-out bearing in my transmission and all has been going well until today. Got the transmission removed from the car and supported the rear of the engine with a floor jack. (all jacks stands were being used to hold the car up) Got called away, by kids and family stuff, and discovered tonight that the jack had failed! (I know I know) ANyway, the engine back was sagging about 4-5 inches and was unsupported.
I cant see anything blatantly wrong with the engine mounts up front, is there something I should look for as far as potential damage? Think it will be OK?
Neighbors jack stand is under it now..
Spoke
As long as you didn't twist the engine bar (unlikely) or rip the engine mounts, you should be ok. It likely was a slow drop so no issue like from a snap drop.
ericoneal
Thats what I wanted to hear. Thanks
SirAndy
QUOTE(Spoke @ Jul 23 2017, 06:53 PM) *
or rip the engine mounts

You need to double check the motor mounts. The weight of the engine was only supported by those two small rubber pieces, you want to make SURE they are not cracked now.
popcorn[1].gif
Dave_Darling
I did the same thing the first time I tried that. The rubber engine mounts failed in short order after that, and I had to replace them. That's on a side-shift car; the mount for the tail-shifters is different.

--DD
IronHillRestorations
This happened to me on my very first clutch job too Eric. Like Dave, I had a front engine mount go bad soon after. If the front rubber mounts have plenty of life in them, you may be OK.
ericoneal
Got it. Will check the mounts if/when I get the transmission back in. Tried with two jackstands, think I need three. Cant keep it stable enough to mate with the engine with only two.
bdstone914
QUOTE(ericoneal @ Jul 24 2017, 07:06 AM) *

Got it. Will check the mounts if/when I get the transmission back in. Tried with two jackstands, think I need three. Cant keep it stable enough to mate with the engine with only two.

Was this on a tail or side shift car? either way check the motor mounts. The side shift mounts tear easily on their own. If on a side shift car the bar to mount brackets will bend but that is not a big deal.
Why not drop the engine while you are this close? Only two bolts and the fuel and electrical connections.
ericoneal
Its a side shift. I didnt drop the engine because I thought just dropping the transmission would be faster, and it was, until I hit this snag.
I had the engine rebuilt two years ago and dropped them both myself and it was a nightmare.
I'm getting another jack tonight and it should go back in easy, I hope. One jack up front, and two on the back mounts, so I can lift it evenly. Will take pictures!
IronHillRestorations
If you have the time to wait, you might consider just replacing the mounts. Pelican has them for $17 each.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jul 23 2017, 08:27 PM) *
That's on a side-shift car; the mount for the tail-shifters is different.

His profile says he has a '73, which is why i assumed a side-shifter.
shades.gif
ericoneal
Ya, I think I will go ahead and replace them. Just support the engine, unbolt, and slip new ones on, right?

QUOTE(Perry Kiehl @ Jul 24 2017, 11:51 AM) *

If you have the time to wait, you might consider just replacing the mounts. Pelican has them for $17 each.

iankarr
I've found that all floor jacks leak. Some faster than others. Maybe it's just my luck...but I've always thought they were designed for temporary use. Another reason why they say never to get under a car that's only supported by a jack.

Can't hurt to swap out the mounts. They're a maintenance item anyway. A little tricky to get a wrench over the top of the bolt, but doable.
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(ericoneal @ Jul 24 2017, 12:11 PM) *

Ya, I think I will go ahead and replace them. Just support the engine, unbolt, and slip new ones on, right?

Yes, but there's no "just" about it. The upper nut on both mounts is a pain in the butt to tighten. I think I remember removing the oil filter (letting it drip overnight) so that I could reach in from the side and actually get my hand and my wrench and/or socket into the correct area. I used my 1/4" drive ratchet, and got basically one click per try out of it. It took quite a while to tighten that thing down...

--DD
Triaddave
If you get the car running first, and when you shift you hear a clunk, motor mount is sour...ask me how I know.
ericoneal
hmm. I took the engine out summer before last and dont remember those bolts being that bad....
Anyway, transmission is back in as of 12:30AM last night. What a job! Never doing that again. (I lie)
All thats left now is the starter motor, shift rod, and clutch cable,etc.
Then a quick check of the mounts.

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jul 24 2017, 05:18 PM) *

QUOTE(ericoneal @ Jul 24 2017, 12:11 PM) *

Yes, but there's no "just" about it. The upper nut on both mounts is a pain in the butt to tighten. I think I remember removing the oil filter (letting it drip overnight) so that I could reach in from the side and actually get my hand and my wrench and/or socket into the correct area. I used my 1/4" drive ratchet, and got basically one click per try out of it. It took quite a while to tighten that thing down...

--DD

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.