Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: laser cutting
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
peteyd
We have a laser here that we cut all our sheet metal with. These pieces are cut from .05" or 18 gauge. I can cut thicker up to 1" but at that point the slag on the edges isn't too pretty.

I was thinking I can cut custom 914 emblems if that is of interest to anyone.
I have the pins mapped out if that makes any difference.

18 gauge thick $12

thicker stuff will have to be priced out accordingly.

Pete

Click to view attachment
mb911
Stainless would be cool so I could have it polished?
mb911
Or gold plate them like original?
peteyd
I can cut stainless and I can get mild steel plated.

Pete
Mark Henry
Pete a standard badge thickness would be close to 12ga.

Can you do any letter and/or number combo? And different font sizes?
Thinking some may want badges for other things, like rain hats, engine grills, toolboxes, garage and man doors, etc.
peteyd
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jul 24 2017, 08:47 AM) *

Thinking some may want badges for other things, like rain hats, engine grills, toolboxes, garage and man doors, etc.

I have the font, so I can do any size and whatever order.

heres some other stuff I have cut.

Click to view attachment
jd74914
Very cool! Those look awesome Pete!

A thicker one would be cool to machine the reliefs. Any rough estimate on about how much a ~3/16"/5mm thick stainless one would be in as cut shape?
7TPorsh
Rear alignment shims....cool!
mb911
To be honest I would like a 914-6 gold plated like factory.. Not sure what the current price is on that
peteyd
QUOTE(jd74914 @ Jul 24 2017, 09:57 AM) *

Very cool! Those look awesome Pete!

A thicker one would be cool to machine the reliefs. Any rough estimate on about how much a ~3/16"/5mm thick stainless one would be in as cut shape?

I think a stainless one would be $50. I just called about the material and it is expensive.

Pete
peteyd
QUOTE(mb911 @ Jul 24 2017, 03:20 PM) *

To be honest I would like a 914-6 gold plated like factory.. Not sure what the current price is on that

I will start drawing one up
worn
QUOTE(peteyd @ Jul 24 2017, 08:07 AM) *

We have a laser here that we cut all our sheet metal with. These pieces are cut from .05" or 18 gauge. I can cut thicker up to 1" but at that point the slag on the edges isn't too pretty.

18 gauge thick $12

Pete

Click to view attachment

Can you cut 14 carat gold sheet; 12 gauge?
whitetwinturbo
popcorn[1].gif
peteyd
QUOTE(worn @ Jul 25 2017, 06:34 AM) *

18 gauge thick $12

Pete

No cutting gold plate

Mark Henry
QUOTE(peteyd @ Jul 25 2017, 01:59 PM) *

QUOTE(worn @ Jul 25 2017, 06:34 AM) *

18 gauge thick $12

Pete

No cutting gold plate

Well that's just great dry.gif There goes My idea for a new grill.... sad.gif

IPB Image

Yo Dawg biggrin.gif
porschetub
Pete could you do the European VW/Porsche 914/6 rear emblem,I'am a CSOB and won't pay my left nut for a genuine one av-943.gif av-943.gif .
Sure there would be a demand.
peteyd
QUOTE(porschetub @ Jul 25 2017, 11:20 AM) *

Pete could you do the European VW/Porsche 914/6 rear emblem,I'am a CSOB and won't pay my left nut for a genuine one av-943.gif av-943.gif .
Sure there would be a demand.

This one will be tougher to replicate because I dont have one. I can only guess what the proper size is.
SO.O.C914er
How about 2.1 for those of us who built 2056 motors. beerchug.gif
Rleog
If you decide to get this going, I could use a 914-RS

Thanks
RickS
Pete,

Thanks for getting these going since there is a real need. Please put me down for a 914-6 and stainless would be fine if it can be made without the holes in the numbers.

Appreciated
worn
[/quote]
[/quote]

I meant solid gold, but never mind - the car is an investment in itself.

Seriously tho I would be interested in something for the six conversion. I am thinking a "1.7" - something that was never made for the 1972 car I have. Kinda want them to think I have the original engine instead of the 3.2 residing there now.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(peteyd @ Jul 24 2017, 01:25 PM) *

IPB Image

Excellent work!

Looks like I'll have to think about what I want ...thinking about Flatnines for the shop man door, 914-6 and 3.0 for the car....

How about a licence plate frame idea.gif
How small can it go?
HarveyH
Just as a note, you can electroplate on stainless steels. It is a more complex (costly) process than plating on normal steels.

You can also electroplate on aluminum. It used to involve depositing an intermediate layer of electroless (autocatalytic) copper before actually electroplating.

It's been 30 some years since I was involved in plating and I'm sure processes have changed....

Harvey
peteyd
This is what I drew up today.

let me know what you think. At second glance, maybe the Porsche font and RS font are a little too narrow?

Click to view attachment
bandjoey
I like the idea but what about the pins? Glue and a nail? etc?
peteyd
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Jul 26 2017, 04:34 PM) *

No pins. some adhesive will work just fine.

Any comments of the drawings I've done?

Pete
Mueller
QUOTE(peteyd @ Jul 27 2017, 05:01 AM) *

Pete

Looks good, you will be able to make some stuff I could only dream about making with that laser!

Mark Henry
QUOTE(Mueller @ Jul 27 2017, 10:26 AM) *

QUOTE(peteyd @ Jul 27 2017, 05:01 AM) *

Pete

Looks good, you will be able to make some stuff I could only dream about making with that laser!

I've seen Pete's /RD laser in action, very impressive machine for sure.
Not sure on the bed size but it's quite large, I'd say he could do a large street sign for a business if needed.
mb911
What kind of laser is it co2 or fiber?
peteyd
This is the model. This particular one is in someone else's shop.

Twin pallet Mitsubishi 3015LXP. 3 metres x 1.5 metres cut area. 4000 watts C02

Fibre lasers are an enclosed machine that are faster maybe, but they have their drawbacks also. More expensive to maintain and if you look directly at the laser beam you will go blind without realizing it.

Pete

Click to view attachment
Mueller
QUOTE(peteyd @ Jul 28 2017, 08:46 AM) *

This is the model. This particular one is in someone else's shop.

Twin pallet Mitsubishi 3015LXP. 3 metres x 1.5 metres cut area. 4000 watts C02

Fibre lasers are an enclosed machine that are faster maybe, but they have their drawbacks also. More expensive to maintain and if you look directly at the laser beam you will go blind without realizing it.

Pete

Click to view attachment

Wow, my C02 laser at home is only 40watts, it might cut aluminum foil, never tried it.

The C02 lasers can mess you up as well, I have a small scar on my hand from mine I got while aligning the mirrors and I only had it set at 10% power, it hurt!

At work we just got a Trumpf fiber laser sheetmetal cutting machine, pretty darn cool. Too bad no personal jobs on it. Still under warranty so I have not had to do any work on it yet.
mb911
We are buying the new mazak fiber laser at work 350k and its small and no co2 costs.. Though we will never produce parts for a market place it will be cool to play with.
peteyd
We went with Mitsubishi because the resonators last 20+ years. Trumpf lasers have a reputation for needing them to be replaced after 5-10 years at a cost of 50k. I dont know about the Mazak though. We shopped them when buying our 5 axis, but didnt end up buying one because the Mits was a better machine for 5 axis.

even though ours is a C02, we use nitrogen for the majority of our cuts. You need C02 when cutting thicker material. Nitrogen is very cheap as well.

Here is my rendition of the 914/6 badge. My original is at home right now so I cant be certain all the dimension for the #6 is correct, but the 914 is correct according to just a normal badge.

Click to view attachment
mb911
QUOTE(peteyd @ Jul 28 2017, 12:07 PM) *

We went with Mitsubishi because the resonators last 20+ years. Trumpf lasers have a reputation for needing them to be replaced after 5-10 years at a cost of 50k. I dont know about the Mazak though. We shopped them when buying our 5 axis, but didnt end up buying one because the Mits was a better machine for 5 axis.

even though ours is a C02, we use nitrogen for the majority of our cuts. You need C02 when cutting thicker material. Nitrogen is very cheap as well.

Here is my rendition of the 914/6 badge. My original is at home right now so I cant be certain all the dimension for the #6 is correct, but the 914 is correct according to just a normal badge.

Click to view attachment

Looks great..
914pipe
Can you do something like this? How much? Aluminum. PM me please.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(peteyd @ Jul 24 2017, 09:25 AM) *

Click to view attachment

I can attest to how well done these are, RD has always come through for me!
arne
QUOTE(peteyd @ Jul 28 2017, 01:07 PM) *

Click to view attachment

I think the top of the 6 is a bit thin. I suspect it should just be the 9 flipped and mirrored.
peteyd
QUOTE(arne @ Jul 28 2017, 09:32 PM) *

QUOTE(peteyd @ Jul 28 2017, 01:07 PM) *

I think the top of the 6 is a bit thin. I suspect it should just be the 9 flipped and mirrored.

Yes I think you're right. I will adjust it on monday.
Rleog
QUOTE(peteyd @ Jul 26 2017, 03:57 PM) *

This is what I drew up today.

let me know what you think. At second glance, maybe the Porsche font and RS font are a little too narrow?

Click to view attachment

True. Need the RS to be similar to the 914. Horizontal 'thickness' is similar but verticle 'thickness' is off. (Not sure of the correct font terms)

Thanks
peteyd
here are a few emblems I cut out of 18g sheet metal.

Click to view attachment
Mueller
QUOTE(peteyd @ Aug 3 2017, 12:29 PM) *

Click to view attachment

^Nice!
mb911
QUOTE(peteyd @ Aug 3 2017, 11:29 AM) *

Click to view attachment

Looking nice.
peteyd
My laser cut badge compared to an original badge. I got very close, the spacing between the 4-6 is a little off, which I will adjust.

I can cut these out for anyone next week.

Click to view attachment
sb914
Nice !
RickS
What a great looking badge.

Click to view attachment
peteyd
I have cut out several /6 badges out of aluminum. The first picture is it sitting on top of an original badge. So it matches up pretty damn close.

Let me know if your interested in one.

Pete

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
douglastic
How hard would it be to machine the depth on the connecting lines to match the original?

It's the only detail missing from perfection.
peteyd
QUOTE(douglastic @ Aug 18 2017, 09:22 AM) *

How hard would it be to machine the depth on the connecting lines to match the original?

It's the only detail missing from perfection.

These are laser cut. Im selling them for $35 because there is minimal setup time.

To get the machine depths I would charge an extra fee.

You could simply file them yourselves and save.

Pete
RJMII
QUOTE(peteyd @ Jul 24 2017, 11:25 AM) *

Click to view attachment

Looks great!!! beerchug.gif
nine11speedster
Pete, these are excellent! I will be messaging you!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.