Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Race rubber....shelf life?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Joe Bob
I got with the purchase of Manfred a set of gummies...is there a shelf life or a test to find out if they are still gud?

Do tire stores have a durometer? If so what is gud/bad....or OK? They hold air, look to be a couple of years old and will leave a finger nail impression in it when pressed in...

Or is any race rubber better than the G-Force street tires I was running last Sunday?
ArtechnikA
if you mean Goodyear G-19 slicks, they're pretty much dead a year after they've been scrubbed in, no matter what you do. i have the makings of a really expensive end table in storage...

you might trysome of the brush-on tire-softening goop, but as with so many things, the good stuff is expensive and even it is not guaranteed to actually do anything...
groot
Rich is spot on, but.... I'm running on old take-off tires while I'm learning the car. They are still sticky and still heat up and stick real good. They're no match for new race tires, but definitely better than street tires.

It all depends on what you want to do with them. Some guys only run take-offs.
J P Stein
What?
Are you talkin' slicks? Dot Rs?
AX,Track?
Joe Bob
Yokohamas....RA1s?
d914
ra's, yokies tend to get greasy when they heat up.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.