Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bilstein strut insert
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Aualexa1
I ordered new Bilstein strut inserts (part number 34-001127-M512) to replace the old Koni's (part number 82R-1730) that I removed from my '73 914. Both inserts should fit a Boge strut, but the new Bilsteins are too tall (about 3 mm longer than the Koni's) and don't fit the strut housing. Any idea what's wrong? Did I order the wrong part?
914Sixer
If you are talking about the collar not fitting flat against the tube, that is just the way the fit.
Aualexa1
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Jul 24 2017, 07:21 PM) *

If you are talking about the collar not fitting flat against the tube, that is just the way the fit.

When I put the insert into the strut housing, I can't get the threads to engage in order to screw the insert into the housing. The insert is just a little too high.
mepstein
Wrong insert?
Aualexa1
Here's a picture. The insert fits in the housing, but it bottoms out at the bottom of the housing and won't engage the threads. Can anyone point me to the right part number if this is the wrong one? Thanks in advance.

Alex
914Sixer
Does this happen on both sides or just one? You may have a bent housing if it only does it on one.
Aualexa1
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Jul 24 2017, 07:40 PM) *

Does this happen on both sides or just one? You may have a bent housing if it only does it on one.

I checked and it is both sides with both housings and both inserts. When I look in the bottom hole where the ball joint would enter, it looks like the bottom of the strut insert is all the way down and bottomed out.
mepstein
Can we see a picture of your struts?
Aualexa1
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 24 2017, 07:45 PM) *

Aualexa1
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 24 2017, 07:45 PM) *

BillC
This is kind of a long shot, but did you check to make sure the retaining nut fits all the way down on top of the green shock body? Try sliding the nut up and seeing if there's anything trapped under it. I installed a set of those struts a couple of weeks ago, and they dropped right in.

The other possibility is that maybe you have a pair of Koni strut housings. IIRC, they require a slightly different length cartridge than the Boge housings.

Aualexa1
QUOTE(BillC @ Jul 24 2017, 08:16 PM) *

This is kind of a long shot, but did you check to make sure the retaining nut fits all the way down on top of the green shock body? Try sliding the nut up and seeing if there's anything trapped under it. I installed a set of those struts a couple of weeks ago, and they dropped right in.

The other possibility is that maybe you have a pair of Koni strut housings. IIRC, they require a slightly different length cartridge than the Boge housings.

I'm thinking you may be right about the koni strut. How would I tell for sure? If they are Koni's, then the Koni inserts sold on Pelicanparts should fit right (http://www.pelicanparts.com/More_Info/KON86411077SPORT.htm?pn=KON-8641-1077SPORT&catalog_description=Koni%20Sport%20Strut%20Insert%2C%20Front&SVSVSI=5882)?
bdstone914
QUOTE(Aualexa1 @ Jul 24 2017, 07:38 PM) *

QUOTE(BillC @ Jul 24 2017, 08:16 PM) *

I'm thinking you may be right about the koni strut. How would I tell for sure? If they are Koni's, then the Koni inserts sold on Pelicanparts should fit right (http://www.pelicanparts.com/More_Info/KON86411077SPORT.htm?pn=KON-8641-1077SPORT&catalog_description=Koni%20Sport%20Strut%20Insert%2C%20Front&SVSVSI=5882)?

They never made Koni struts for a 914. I checked the application and the part number is correct. Sure thee is nothing in the bottom of the strut housing? Note the locatiing nub on the bottom of the Koni ?
porschetub
Make sure they are seated right @ the bottom,recently fitted Boge/Sachs and they were out buy a turn or 2 but weren't going anywhere after I did them up,no issues after driving.
Sound a little strange the situation you have confused24.gif .
Mark Henry
QUOTE(porschetub @ Jul 25 2017, 02:03 AM) *

Make sure they are seated right @ the bottom,recently fitted Boge/Sachs and they were out buy a turn or 2 but weren't going anywhere after I did them up,no issues after driving.

agree.gif same with Bilstein's most of the time the nut will sit 1-2mm proud.

Once you have it figured out don't forget to drop about 1 to 1-1/2oz of oil into the strut before installing the insert. This is mainly to stop corrosion, but it also helps to cool the strut.
mepstein
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jul 25 2017, 07:58 AM) *

QUOTE(porschetub @ Jul 25 2017, 02:03 AM) *

agree.gif same with Bilstein's most of the time the nut will sit 1-2mm proud.

Once you have it figured out don't forget to drop about 1 to 1-1/2oz of oil into the strut before installing the insert. This is mainly to stop corrosion, but it also helps to cool the strut.

Bilstein no longer recommends oil in the strut housing but I did spray a little in mine for corrosion resistance.
BillC
The other thing is to check the bottom of the strut cavity. Since the Konis you removed are shorter than the new Bilsteins, maybe whoever installed them put spacers in the bottom to make the Konis fit properly.
McMark
Your Bilstein part number matches up with what my supplier lists for a 914-4.

When I loaded the full size picture, it looks like there is the end of a part number here, obscured by the undercoating that's all over.

Did I miss the part where you mention if this is a 4- or 5-lug strut?
mepstein
It looks to have a straight arm so that would be a 4
Tom_T
Double check the part no. on the struts you got (insert bodies & box nos. should match the correct p/n ordered - Bruce confirmed ordered p/n was correct already), since they may have shipped the wrong ones to you (poor pick-n-pak at the DC).

Any of the Boge/Sachs, Koni or Bilstien inserts made for the OE Black/Gray Boge 914-4 Struts should be plug-n-play, as noted by BillC above.

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Aualexa1
Problem solved! It turns out that neither threaded collar was fully seated on the strut insert. Admittedly, it was my fault, and I feel pretty stupid about it. I pushed them down by hand when I first got them, but it turns out it wasn't enough force. Bruce from Pelican emailed me and asked me to pull the collar up and take a measurement of the insert. When I put the collar back down on the insert, I used the Bilstein tool that lets you torque the insert into the strut and I was really able to apply some downward force. Both sides "clicked" and now fit easily into the struts. Thanks for the feedback everyone, and especially to the customer service at Pelican!
mepstein
beerchug.gif
bdstone914
QUOTE(Aualexa1 @ Jul 25 2017, 01:46 PM) *

Problem solved! It turns out that neither threaded collar was fully seated on the strut insert. Admittedly, it was my fault, and I feel pretty stupid about it. I pushed them down by hand when I first got them, but it turns out it wasn't enough force. Bruce from Pelican emailed me and asked me to pull the collar up and take a measurement of the insert. When I put the collar back down on the insert, I used the Bilstein tool that lets you torque the insert into the strut and I was really able to apply some downward force. Both sides "clicked" and now fit easily into the struts. Thanks for the feedback everyone, and especially to the customer service at Pelican!

Easy to over think a problem. Check the simple things first. Glad we found the problem.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.